Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Fossils Do You Have?

• 13-08-2009 12:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭

I have a Trilobyte. Thats all for now.

Oh and one is a cool black polished stone that's a necklace. It snapped in half but I glues it back together.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭Slow Motion

I have a 400 million year old Trilobyte I bought in the Smithsonian for about 6 dollars. I haven't really come across anywhere in Dublin that sells them (I will be happy to be proved wrong on this)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

The prize of my collection is a megalodon shark tooth from Florida. It's a little bigger than a great white tooth (also considerably thicker), so it was probably from a half grown juvenile.
    Two other shark teeth, one bull, one sand tiger (as best I can tell).
    A small sandstone slab with a few Armigatus (small fish) from about 100mya, found in Byblos, Lebanon.
    An ammonite the size of a penny.
    A trilobite the size of a 2c coin.
    A brachiopod.
    A pelycopod.
    A piece of bryoza.
    A chunk of 'souvenirosaurus' dinosaur bone (can't tell what type).
    A gastropod shell.
    A piece of horn coral.
    The tip of an orthocone's shell.
    Plus some teeth pertruding from a rock in that I found in a marsh. Most likely from a sheep.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭agardiner22

Anybody ever find any fossils in ireland and where

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭Linguo

Where's a good legit place to buy nice fossils?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭WIZE

If you go to high rock at portmarnock Beach there is loads of fossils in the rocks . School nature walks when I was young . My teacher was mad into them . Used to bring a Pick axe to bring the fossils back to the classroom

624483.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭agardiner22

BVB wrote: »
    If you go to high rock at portmarnock Beach there is loads of fossils in the rocks . School nature walks when I was young . My teacher was mad into them . Used to bring a Pick axe to bring the fossils back to the classroom

624483.jpg

Thanks BVB was gonna head up that was soon so i will veer that way

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,167 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Used to collect them as a kid, so a fair amount. Mostly lower carboniferous stuff. Corals, brachiopods, Crinoids, byrozoans and a fair few molluscs. I have a small one that looks like part of a spinal chord, possibly a shark, though more likely a bony fish. Some upper carboniferous leaves and bits of trees(ferns and such). Bought things like fish and trilobites.

Ireland's pretty good for them. Again mostly lower carboniferous limestone stuff. Portmarnock is good, though I found them pretty weathered and hard to get(where I was looking anyway).

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,964 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

This is my best fossil, I found it on a small island in Galway bay when we went fishing one day when I was a kid, it stands up by itself like a decorative thing bought in a shop but it was just sitting at the bottom of a cliff when we went down to look at a dead porpoises that had washed in, its definitely the best thing I ever found, sorry about the crappy camera phone pic, dont suppose anyone knows what it is? Looks like a sea cucumber or something:

jSHV2l.jpg

Could be a big piece of crinoid stem. I'm not sure though, it looks a bit more robust than those.

It does look similar alright, the only thing Id say is that the ridges on all the ones I see on Google Images are horizontal whereas on mine they're vertical, havent a clue though, Im not a paleontologist.

Post pics of your fossil collections though please people, especially if you found them in Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Tax

i bought the remains of an arcaheopteryx on eBay for €150,000.

Tax wrote: »
    i bought the remains of an arcaheopteryx on eBay for €150,000.

Considering there are only ten Archaeopteryx specimens in the world today, which are priceless treasures, that would never go for sale on ebay at such a low price I think either:
    a) you were conned
    or
    b) (based on your poster history) you are trolling

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,167 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

It's a solitary rugose coral. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rugosa Lower carboniferous. Species Caninia I'd say. Right size and all.

http://www.humboldt.edu/~natmus/lifeThroughTime/Pennsylvanian.web/242.jpg

As they weather the outer layer comes off and shows the vertical ridges, but you usually can see the horizontal growth rings, probably yearly. I have a few of different sizes. From juvenile to mature. One I have it looks like it fell or was dislodged as it has two damn near right angle turns where it fell and grew upwards towards the light. Sadly I haven't seen it in years, though I must have it somewhere.

Here are three of mine.
    sll2ld.jpg

One adult, more weathered than yours and two juveniles. EDIT sorry size wise the big fella is about 9 inches in old money and the little lads are about an inch and a half in length and breadth

As they age the cross section bit gets less full of radial septa. On yours if you can see the cross section at the top, you'll notice it has radial lines around the edge but the center bit is more empty. Kinda like the spokes of a bike wheel that don't make it to the axle. Yours is in nice nick mind. Lovely find.:)

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Ok here's some of mine. You can tell by the typed labels this was back before laser printers :D

350t2fr.jpg

2wd22bo.jpg

4h8pkg.jpg

Various mostly lower and upper carboniferous stuff. Apologies for the mess. Must get around to organising them and not leaving them to gather dust.

Thanks a million for the ID Wibbs, I always wondered what it was, unbelieveable collection by the way, how much of it did you find yourself and how much of it is Irish?

Cheers. Found all of it myself in Ireland. Road cuttings and beaches/cliffs and such. Except for one trilobite buried in the back, the shark tooth and the eocene fish slab which I bought or got as presents. The fossilised wood I found lying on the ground in Spain. I seemed to have an eye for spotting them. Dunno why, but I never spent that much time looking for them.

Quality collection Wibbs. I am in envy.

Advertisement