Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irish Rail - 50% off fares

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

dereko1969 wrote: »
    Thread over in bargain alerts
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055649010
    giving codes for use on all fares, including already discounted fares.
    I would rather buy the Irish times and pay the full fare :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭dereko1969

I think it says a lot about this forum that a great offer such as this has attracted 1 response and that one was inane.

if this offer was available on an old smelly craven or 'orange' train you'd be all giddy with excitement. how come no-one has welcomed this development?

you're all too busy whinging about car parks (and peoples own stupidity and need to blame someone else when they've either arrived late and been clamped or not had their ticket on display) and how trains don't go to your front door or that 1 person in heuston wasn't the most helpful so all irish rail staff should be tarred with the one brush. or that a bike deal which will be a great boon to this city means we oh my gawd have to look at a few more ads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,047 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I think it says a lot about this forum that a great offer such as this has attracted 1 response and that one was inane.

if this offer was available on an old smelly craven or 'orange' train you'd be all giddy with excitement. how come no-one has welcomed this development?

There's a page of comments on the other thread. Should all responses be copied and pasted here to keep you happy?

Stark wrote: »
    There's a page of comments on the other thread. Should all responses be copied and pasted here to keep you happy?

hey genius, go and see how many of the respondents on the other thread are regular contributors to this forum!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,422 ✭✭✭positron

dereko1969, I have been 'whinging about car parks' because that effects me and this 50% off doesn't affect me! I will be writing volumes of praise if IrishRail were to offer 50% off annual commuter tickets! :D

• Advertisement

you do realise that your annual ticket even if not purchased through the tax saver scheme is much better value than the equivalent in the UK? my comments were more directed at the trainspotter element on here - what's my favourite bus/dart/loco rubbish
    but the problems relating to car parks generally are self-inflicted by people - 2e a day for parking in most railway stations is great value, if people can't be bothered making sure their ticket is visible that's their hard luck, same thing would happen in all other parking spots, you'd get clamped and who would you whinge about then? ncps not IE.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭daheff

you do realise that your annual ticket even if not purchased through the tax saver scheme is much better value than the equivalent in the UK?

maybe its cheaper...but u get a much better service (frequency, stops, time to travel distances) than you do here.

anyways...all this is rubbish from IR about dropping prices- its only on half -empty trains...they wont drop prices on annual tickets or trains at commuter times....they are turning into the Ryanair of rail travel - but with worse customer service!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 992 ✭✭✭fh041205

daheff wrote: »
    maybe its cheaper...but u get a much better service (frequency, stops, time to travel distances) than you do here.

anyways...all this is rubbish from IR about dropping prices- its only on half -empty trains...they wont drop prices on annual tickets or trains at commuter times....they are turning into the Ryanair of rail travel - but with worse customer service!

I actually said that very sentence today, that IR were becoming more and more like ryanair every day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

It's not like me to be seen defending CIE/IE but they are doing something right for once. They are hardly likely to drop their fares on rush hour trains or Annual tickets are they? This initiative is to try and fill seats on quieter off-peak services and 'theoretically' generate revenue. The less money they lose the less prices will have to increase on other services.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 257 ✭✭Fairdues

Seems like an interesting offer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

fh041205 wrote: »
    I actually said that very sentence today, that IR were becoming more and more like ryanair every day.

You mean their customer service is improving????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭Halfdog

I would rather buy the Irish times and pay the full fare :D
    I totally agree. Its a disgrace when our national transport system has to stoop so low as to collaborate with British gutter press to promote itself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭daheff

They are hardly likely to drop their fares on rush hour trains or Annual tickets are they? This initiative is to try and fill seats on quieter off-peak services and 'theoretically' generate revenue. The less money they lose the less prices will have to increase on other services.

I agree that they should be trying to fill seats on lightly used services....but much of the commuter services have had a very noticeable drop off in volumes of passengers....partly due to recession, partly due to increased ticket charges and partly due to parking charges.

If they got their act together and were more efficient then they would increase profits more than by discounting seats on off-peak trains.

Advertisement