Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My Ban from Biology and Medicine

Options
  • 13-08-2009 1:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26,400 ✭✭✭✭

This is regarding the mammoth thread on the Pharmacy dispute - there is a huge amount of disproportionate edits, ban threads etc handed out to those with any hint of support for the government action against the pharmacies.

Many supporters of the pharmacies can post continually where as posters on the other side of the debate appear are deemed to be trolling if they do the same.

My own ban in particular was relating to a moderator threatening users who are making perfectly good points with bans etc simply because they do not appear to conform with the stance of the moderator in question.

Furthermore, using the blanket term of 'trolling' to ban a user is a little general. I mean two posts, neither of which were abuse or baiting other posters, has been classified as trolling for the purposes of the ban.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭tallaght01

noodler wrote: »
    This is regarding the mammoth thread on the Pharmacy dispute - there is a huge amount of disproportionate edits, ban threads etc handed out to those with any hint of support for the government action against the pharmacies.

Many supporters of the pharmacies can post continually where as posters on the other side of the debate appear are deemed to be trolling if they do the same.

My own ban in particular was relating to a moderator threatening users who are making perfectly good points with bans etc simply because they do not appear to conform with the stance of the moderator in question.

Furthermore, using the blanket term of 'trolling' to ban a user is a little general. I mean two posts, neither of which were abuse or baiting other posters, has been classified as trolling for the purposes of the ban.

There was a stack of people against the pharmacists, and there was no problem. You only came to the forum today, and couldn't see the posts pre-edit.

But, at the end of the day, you just came to the forum to troll, which is really poor form. BUt I still gave you the benefit of one post having a go at my moderation. That's more than you'd normally get.

You don't seriously expect to get you ban overturned. You just want your say.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Seems pretty clear cut to me...

• Registered Users Posts: 26,400 ✭✭✭✭noodler

What I really want is for somebody to look throughthat thread and investigate the possibility you were not (unconciously or otherwise) treating people on both sides of the debate the same way.

I don't like your troll insinuation - it is far too vague. I came to the thread, read it in its entirety, and then mad a complaint about the debate was being hampered by the actions of one of the moderators. Thats what I did, thats what I admit to but please don't try and sell it as trolling in the sense I made a stream of posts slagging you or some other person off for the sake of it.

No harm in a moderator having an opinion of course I just feel you let it cloud your judgement, you also seem to assume I am basing everything on your dealings with just one other poster but that isn't the case I am afraid - it was an extremely long thread.

I do not expect the ban to be undone because I seem to have been in the wrong to mention that you were being overly aggressive with those posters' who hold a conflicting viewpoint to your own. The purpose of this thread, I perhaps should have called it something else but stuck with this because a mod renamed Tim Robbins' thread to the same title, is to highlight how I feel tallaght01's moderation was less than impartial.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

it is standard policy on boards that you dont derail a thread by questioning a moderator decision.
    people get banned for that the whole time across various fora.

as tallaght pointed out, you have no idea what was edited out of posts, so you cannot comment on the removed content and how trollish or otherwise they were.

Advertisement