Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Science TR071

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭GlasnevinRed

Craguls wrote: »
    Book wise the library has you covered. There's no real need to buy books unless you want them for personal preference.

Also when it comes to texbooks you're able to find some of them online and there's always electronic copies floating around which tend to get passed around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,383 ✭✭✭Aoibheann

What date do us 2nd years have to go in does anyone know?

When's registration and when does lectures start?

First teaching week is from the 27th, so you'll have lectures from then.

Registration for continuing science students is on Monday, October 4th (A-L are 9.15am-12.30pm, M-Z are 2.00pm-4.45pm), from here. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Aoibheann wrote: »

Registration for continuing science students is on Monday, October 4th (A-L are 9.15am-12.30pm, M-Z are 2.00pm-4.45pm), from here. :)

Wonder if it'll be the same cluster**** as last year when somehow they seemed to be caught out with the number that show up meaning I had a wasted journey to and from Dublin and had to go back the following week. If only they'd had something like a list of who and how many people would be registering.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭Mysterious Man

Aoibheann wrote: »

When will we find out out timetable and the like?

Bit weird having lectures before registration is it not?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Craguls

When will we find out out timetable and the like?

Bit weird having lectures before registration is it not?

We got the provisional timetable back in march when we were choosing our modules. I figure we just go by that and are assigned labs when we register.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Dubs

Are we able to do modules which add up to more than 60 credits, or is that the limit?

• Registered Users Posts: 11 AliceXD

Thirlled I got TR071 but I see it's possible 1st years can opt in evening language classes... do you think it's possible to handle the science work as well as a language? Or will the work be way too much? Just don't wanna give up on my LC french completely :p

Dubs wrote: »
    Are we able to do modules which add up to more than 60 credits, or is that the limit?

No 60 is the limit. You'll likely lose the interest to do more than 60 as the year goes on.
    AliceXD wrote: »
    Thirlled I got TR071 but I see it's possible 1st years can opt in evening language classes... do you think it's possible to handle the science work as well as a language? Or will the work be way too much? Just don't wanna give up on my LC french completely :p

While it's possible the language classes are a bit of work and are on later than most lectures. I know someone who stuck with them but most freshers drop them after 3 weeks or so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

The amount of people dropping out of 2nd year is scary. :eek:

• Advertisement

The amount of people dropping out of 2nd year is scary. :eek:

Really? What are the numbers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Not repeating I hope, I don't need competition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭H2student

Okay, I've accepted Tr071 as well. Guss I'll be seeing you guys in September too.

H2student wrote: »
    Okay, I've accepted Tr071 as well. Guss I'll be seeing you guys in September too.

Wahay, welcome to the club :D Looking forward to meeting you all ^_^

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

Craguls wrote: »
    Really? What are the numbers?

I'm not aware of numbers, but a huge proportion of my mates are gone to other courses. They're racking up the CAO acceptances on their facebook statii. :eek:

I'm not aware of numbers, but a huge proportion of my mates are gone to other courses. They're racking up the CAO acceptances on their facebook statii. :eek:

I was talking to some of your fellow physics students today who listed off people leaving, seemed to be a fair few. Granted 100 people supposedly leave between JF and SF from what I've heard.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭The_Joker.

Is it advisable to buy the howie lab- coat for chemistry labs now? was there a mad scramble to clarendon medical last year/did they sell out?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Borneo Fnctn

Holler at me if you're looking for

Campbell and Reece Biology (1st year)
    or
    Stryer and Berg Biochemistry (2nd year)

30 euro each. That's a fair price. They cost me 60 a piece.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭GlasnevinRed

The_Joker. wrote: »
    Is it advisable to buy the howie lab- coat for chemistry labs now? was there a mad scramble to clarendon medical last year/did they sell out?

They sell them in the student bookshop upstairs in house 6 aswell. Not sure of the price. They're much better than the 'v-neck' (or whatever you want to call it) style imho. Thought you had to have a howie one?

They sell them in the student bookshop upstairs in house 6 aswell. Not sure of the price. They're much better than the 'v-neck' (or whatever you want to call it) style imho. Thought you had to have a howie one?

Thanks, I will be doing physical chemistry, so I think its the closed neck one(howie?)

Won't be doing biology, will check out the student bookshop ,cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Groinshot

35 quid. Find a second year dropping outa nd buy it off them I'd advise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Jammyc

You're supposed to (have to) get the 'howie' style lab coat. Don't worry about a mad scramble, you'll get one no bother. I cant remember the prices exactly but I know I wasn't too shocked with the price of em in the SU bookshop, like other posters have said though, Clarendon Medical is cheaper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Groinshot

Jammyc wrote: »
    You're supposed to (have to) get the 'howie' style lab coat. Don't worry about a mad scramble, you'll get one no bother. I cant remember the prices exactly but I know I wasn't too shocked with the price of em in the SU bookshop, like other posters have said though, Clarendon Medical is cheaper.

See post above. 35 euro.

They're only a fiver cheaper in Claredon Medical. I got mine there and it seemed to fit me better than those who got their's in the SU shop. Had more pockets too.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭Scoobydooo

Hey guys, have any other JF's paid fees online yet ? I can't seem to find science in the course search on https://tcdlocalportal.tcd.ie/pls/fees/fees_app.fees_apps.acceptstudcourse

Any ideas ?

Scoobydooo wrote: »
    Hey guys, have any other JF's paid fees online yet ? I can't seem to find science in the course search on https://tcdlocalportal.tcd.ie/pls/fees/fees_app.fees_apps.acceptstudcourse

Any ideas ?

It's under "Natural Sciences", which is the official name of the course afaik. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭JamesJB

I'll be taking up this course this year. Looking forward to starting up. Hoping to ease nicely into it and meet people, all that stuff. Hopefully my introverted disposition won't be too much of a deterrent (although people who do know me wouldn't exactly call me approachable...)

I'll see anyway. I'm going to do that chemistry intro course on the 13th (have been looking into/studying chem a bit by myself) so I'll see any newbies there I suppose!

So er... What do I have to do now? I have been doing nothing since I've accepted the offer and I need to catch up.

When's the deadline for the fees? and what day do I have to show up? :p

(not doing the chemistry thing.)

So er... What do I have to do now? I have been doing nothing since I've accepted the offer and I need to catch up.

When's the deadline for the fees? and what day do I have to show up? :p

(not doing the chemistry thing.)

Fees have to be in 5 days before you register. You will have to send that yellow form in your orientation pack back to the address they give you on it ASAP too. It tells the college that you won't be paying fees. They will send you a bank giro for you to pay the 1500 registration fee. You can also pay that online, though I haven't done it yet.

Freshers' week begins on the 20th.

I know how you feel, I've kind of just left it myself up to now :cool:

Off topic: you reached 100th post :P

So I just cut the form out of the orientation pack and send it?

Question, how do I know what my student number is? Did they send it to my house? (haven't been home for a few days)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 255 ✭✭JC06

Your CAO number will be your student number.

Anyone know when the timetables are supposed to be out? Really thought they'd be out by now :confused:

• Advertisement

So I just cut the form out of the orientation pack and send it?

There's a perforation for you to tear it out.
    JC06 wrote: »
    Anyone know when the timetables are supposed to be out? Really thought they'd be out by now :confused:

We haven't picked our modules or anything yet, right? I expect we will get everything sorted during Freshers' Week, including timetables.

Sorry I should have said I'm going into 3rd year! But yeah I think 1st years get their timetables in Freshers Week.

Sorry I should have said I'm going into 3rd year! But yeah I think 1st years get their timetables in Freshers Week.

Oh, sorry! I was just under the impression that you were also starting this year :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭Blerdiii

JamesJB wrote: »
    Fees have to be in 5 days before you register. You will have to send that yellow form in your orientation pack back to the address they give you on it ASAP too. It tells the college that you won't be paying fees. They will send you a bank giro for you to pay the 1500 registration fee. You can also pay that online, though I haven't done it yet.

Freshers' week begins on the 20th.

I know how you feel, I've kind of just left it myself up to now :cool:

**** am i meant to have sent that yellow form? i already paid the registration fee :confused:

Blerdiii wrote: »
    **** am i meant to have sent that yellow form? i already paid the registration fee :confused:

Yes the yellow ( FRS1) form is to claim the free fees for the course.

I've been told that the timetables go live on the 13th of September. As far as I know, that's for all/most courses, I was told this by someone in the Physics dept. so let's hope it's accurate. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭Blerdiii

The_Joker. wrote: »
    Yes the yellow ( FRS1) form is to claim the free fees for the course.
    damn! thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Lawliet

You will have to send that yellow form in your orientation pack back to the address they give you on it ASAP too. It tells the college that you won't be paying fees. They will send you a bank giro for you to pay the 1500 registration fee.
    Thank christ you mentioned that, I never even looked at the yellow page. I'd probably still be waiting for the giro to come in the post next week!

Lawliet wrote: »
    Thank christ you mentioned that, I never even looked at the yellow page. I'd probably still be waiting for the giro to come in the post next week!

No problem. I only looked through the orientation pack properly yesterday, and only mailed the form today! I think I went into a bit of a transient state of indifference after I accepted the course and just put it all off. That, or I was too busy playing Final Fantasy IX...:pac:

• Advertisement

Hey, is there any way of seeing a past timetable or an example one for this course? Just wanna know what to expect .. early mornings, late evenings? :S

Hey, is there any way of seeing a past timetable or an example one for this course? Just wanna know what to expect .. early mornings, late evenings? :S

Here...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭u60gypx5jakoti

What about tutorials for Chemistry, Biology and Maths?
    And can you pick which lab group you would like to be in, for example to avoid labs on Friday?

Sorry about the poor quality, but subjects depending it's normally 9-5 at least three days a week. You could get lucky and get two of your labs together on the same day thus getting you a day off though.
    6ediex.jpg
    2ihqqeb.jpg
    What about tutorials for Chemistry, Biology and Maths?
    And can you pick which lab group you would like to be in, for example to avoid labs on Friday?

Chemistry Tutorials should be on Monday to Wednesday at 1pm, you only need to attend one. You're normally timetabled one but this is mainly to ensure one doesn't get over subscribed, if you've any problems Noelle Scully the course co ordinator is fantastic for sorting all of this out.

Biology tutorials were optional but they helped a lot in the exams by giving you extra material to expand upon. They were thought by two phd students.

As far as labs go you're randomly assigned them. People have managed days off because if their labs but it's rarity if you're being realistic (2 in 15) the course will only move you if you've solid reasons too, wanting a day off will likely not be enough.

I think a few people managed to get moved from the last Friday lab to an earlier one last year, but I'm pretty sure it was because they lived across the country and needed to catch trains home for the weekend. If you're just looking to move around for easiness sake or to get a day off then I'd advise you not to, I'm not sure if you'd get it or not but it would definitely be a bit unfair on other people. Alas nobody (that I know) likes 9am labs, it's just something you gotta do. They can't let everybody pick and choose.

If you do have a proper issue with it though I'm pretty sure they try to accommodate as many people as they can. I'd also advise you to meet with your tutor just to say hi etc, most people don't but I did and found it really helpful.

I'd also advise you to meet with your tutor just to say hi etc, most people don't but I did and found it really helpful.

I'll be sure to do that.

Also, having a lab early in the morning wouldn't bother me so much either, although the idea of having a weekday off is actually mind blowing and exciting coming out of high school, even if it's highly unlikely :pac:

• Advertisement

Semester 1 timetable for 2nd year is up on the science website if anyone hasn't seen it yet!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭Mysterious Man

Semester 1 timetable for 2nd year is up on the science website if anyone hasn't seen it yet!
    Can someone post it?

My password for portal isn't working.

Can someone post it?

My password for portal isn't working.

It's not up on portal yet it's here: https://www.tcd.ie/Science/local/undergraduate-students/timetables/

I won't really need a laptop for this course, will I?

I live in Blanchardstown (North-West Dublin-ish) and have my own desktop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Jammyc

I won't really need a laptop for this course, will I?

I live in Blanchardstown (North-West Dublin-ish) and have my own desktop.

In short, no.You can access things/print notes no bother from college computers. Laptops do come in handy though, like if you were in the library and wanted to look at the slides for a paticular lecture but dont have them printed.

• Advertisement
Advertisement