Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Science TR071

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭dog_pig

Jammyc wrote: »
    In short, no.You can access things/print notes no bother from college computers. Laptops do come in handy though, like if you were in the library and wanted to look at the slides for a paticular lecture but dont have them printed.

I've just seen that it says in one of the PDFs on science/local that Physics & Computer Simulation may not be offered past September 2010.

Great, it's not like that was why I chose the course in the first place or anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭JamesJB

In short, no.You can access things/print notes no bother from college computers.

Hmm, I do have my own desktop and printer as I said. Unless printing notes out is something everyone does on campus?..

I do have access to a netbook too, I suppose, though it isn't actually mine. I don't want to ask for a laptop unless it's really necessary (even if my desktop is getting a little desperate...)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Craguls

dog_pig wrote: »
    I've just seen that it says in one of the PDFs on science/local that Physics & Computer Simulation may not be offered past September 2010.

Great, it's not like that was why I chose the course in the first place or anything.

You likely would've been warned somewhere about them withdrawing the option. However word on the street is that they're bringing out a newer version closer to nanoscience with computers.

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭dog_pig

Craguls wrote: »
    You likely would've been warned somewhere about them withdrawing the option. However word on the street is that they're bringing out a newer version closer to nanoscience with computers.

Well I'm going into JF Science now after doing first year of a different course last year and I've heard absolutely nothing.

It was still on the website up until pretty recently

• Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭The_Joker.

However word on the street is that they're bringing out a newer version closer to nanoscience with computers.
    True, I overheard some drug addicts discussing this topic when I was walking by the boardwalk yesterday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Jammyc

JamesJB wrote: »
    Hmm, I do have my own desktop and printer as I said. Unless printing notes out is something everyone does on campus?..

I do have access to a netbook too, I suppose, though it isn't actually mine. I don't want to ask for a laptop unless it's really necessary (even if my desktop is getting a little desperate...)

It would probably work out cheaper for you to do it on campus. If you print almost everything, then you'll use a lot of ink.

Ok so, SF, lets see if I've got this somewhat right, because I feel really confused:

We go to all the lectures on the timetable from week 5.
    We don't go to labs in week 5.
    Once we're registered, we go to all labs and lectures.

So does that mean we ignore the fact that some bio labs on the timetable are marked week 5?
    I'm assuming that we also don't have to go to labs on the day that we register, because we'll be busy registering, but if we register in the morning to be told that we have an afternoon lab, do we not have to go to that lab until the next week?

AAArrrgggghhhh. Why with the complicatedness? Hopefully I'll feel less flustered once tcd portal starts talking to me again. And admits it's not 2009-2010 anymore.

Ok so, SF, lets see if I've got this somewhat right, because I feel really confused:

We go to all the lectures on the timetable from week 5.
    We don't go to labs in week 5.
    Once we're registered, we go to all labs and lectures.

So does that mean we ignore the fact that some bio labs on the timetable are marked week 5?
    I'm assuming that we also don't have to go to labs on the day that we register, because we'll be busy registering, but if we register in the morning to be told that we have an afternoon lab, do we not have to go to that lab until the next week?

AAArrrgggghhhh. Why with the complicatedness? Hopefully I'll feel less flustered once tcd portal starts talking to me again. And admits it's not 2009-2010 anymore.

Pretty much. There were loads of signs around last year for SF students not to attend labs until week 6.

EDIT: We'll also have to spend week 5 buying lab books for our labs just like first year

We'll also have to spend week 5 buying lab books for our labs just like first year

So if we're not in labs in week 5 then we sort that out in lectures?
    Sorry for all the questions btw

So if we're not in labs in week 5 then we sort that out in lectures?
    Sorry for all the questions btw

I imagine as much. We'll likely have an introductory lecture from Rochford, Scully and the other heads of department in the first timetabled lecture again or something to that effect. S'grand! No worries.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭Mysterious Man

Tried getting into portal today and it worked but the timetable is still the same as 1st Year.

Anyone have any ideas when this will change because i'd like to know when i have lectures and the like, as the one we were emailed is pretty ****ed up.

Tried getting into portal today and it worked but the timetable is still the same as 1st Year.

Anyone have any ideas when this will change because i'd like to know when i have lectures and the like, as the one we were emailed is pretty ****ed up.

Won't change until we register apparently. Print off the emailed one and cross out the modules you don't do. Should be easy enough to read then.

Can someone tell me how many labs per week there is for CH1101 please?

I see on the timetable , Friday it says 10-12 CH1101 LAB D , and then Friday afternoon 2-4pm CH1101 LAB E ... Is there 2 Labs in the one day or do we get assigned one of these times?

Its the same on Thursday CH1101 two labs for those times...

You do one lab session per week per module. (3 hours) Labs are allocated so you dont know which session you'll be in.

Thanks, what about tutorials -any particular day for them? :pac:

The_Joker. wrote: »
    Can someone tell me how many labs per week there is for CH1101 please?

I see on the timetable , Friday it says 10-12 CH1101 LAB D , and then Friday afternoon 2-4pm CH1101 LAB E ... Is there 2 Labs in the one day or do we get assigned one of these times?

Its the same on Thursday CH1101 two labs for those times...

You do one lab session per week per module, i.e. 3 hours. Labs are assigned so you dont know which of these labs (A, B, C...) that you'll be in untill you get your online timetable.

Aside, timetable is rough next year. half way through semester one I get a lovely 10-5 no break and have a lovely big 6 hour gap on a Wednesday.

Thanks, what about tutorials -any particular day for them? :pac:
    No problemo.
    IIRC, Chemistry Tutorials were Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday at 1. Weren't particularly strict on which you should go to. Biology labs were random times and again not strict on which sessions. Can't remember the times exactly.

Cant remember the times of the Maths Methods tutorial, but I do remember having one at 5pm on a Thursday, which meant I had to wait around for 3 hours for it. Can't speak for anything else really.

No problemo.
    IIRC, Chemistry Tutorials were Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday at 1. Weren't particularly strict on which you should go to. Biology labs were random times and again not strict on which sessions. Can't remember the times exactly.

Cant remember the times of the Maths Methods tutorial, but I do remember having one at 5pm on a Thursday, which meant I had to wait around for 3 hours for it. Can't speak for anything else really.

Cool, thanks for the info..
    Now if I could only get that Chemistry lab for the Thursday, I don't have anything else down for friday( providing there's no tutorials friday).

A friday off would be nice:cool:

Cool, thanks for the info..
    Now if I could only get that Chemistry lab for the Thursday, I don't have anything else down for friday( providing there's no tutorials friday).

A friday off would be nice:cool:
    Cool, no bother!
    Haha, I remember hoping the exact same thing last year, then I was bitterly dissapointed when I had 2 labs given to me on Friday.

Cool, no bother!
    Haha, I remember hoping the exact same thing last year, then I was bitterly dissapointed when I had 2 labs given to me on Friday.

Yeah, it sounds a bit too good to be true :pac:

• Advertisement

Got assigned decent labs! YEAY

Got assigned decent labs! YEAY

Which which which?

Anyone else have a 7 HOUR GAP on Wednesday? :O
    Also seem to have less hours than I thought we'd have. Just hoping to not get some last minute tutorial or something at 5 on Fridays, so far it seems I'll be off from 1.

Anyone else have a 7 HOUR GAP on Wednesday? :O
    Also seem to have less hours than I thought we'd have. Just hoping to not get some last minute tutorial or something at 5 on Fridays, so far it seems I'll be off from 1.

Close, I got the 6 hour gap. Chem tutorial at 4! Still pretty ****. Might think of getting that subscription in Cineworld. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭H2student

Well 6 days to go for us newbies :p.

Just wondering, are there anything our seniors wants to share with us that can make the year less hectic. Such as, what's the deal with lockers? (is it first come first serve?, and should we go get one ASAP etc.)

H2student wrote: »
    Well 6 days to go for us newbies :p.

Just wondering, are there anything our seniors wants to share with us that can make the year less hectic. Such as, what's the deal with lockers? (is it first come first serve?, and should we go get one ASAP etc.)

You can sign up for lockers on the first day of lectures. It's generally a good idea to get in early so you can get a decent one. Once you have it you can keep it for 2 years or even more unofficially. I went at 7:30ish and managed to get one in the Hamilton near the labs so it's perfect for throwing my labcoat in. They cost €40 for the year of which it's €20 deposit.

What subjects are you doing? All I can suggest is do your best in labs. In chemistry for example I usually spend awhile on the lab reports and it came back to reward me as I walked into both chemistry exams at the end of the year with about 26 of the 30% on offer. Biology labs are a bit different but just make sure you prepare for them thoroughly. I'd even go as far as doing a lab report for them even though you don't have to as the lab MCQ is pretty tough.

Aside from that everything else pretty obvious, go to your lectures, your tutorials and all your labs and as long as you put a decent effort in it'll come back to benefit you at the end of the year.

If you've any other questions send us a PM

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Lawliet

Do you need a locker? I wasn't planning on getting one

Lawliet wrote: »

In a sense no, but it can be handy to keep a labcoat and other materials in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭GlasnevinRed

Lawliet wrote: »

Got one in first year and threw my labcoat in it. Didn't bother for second year. It was handy enough just to throw the labcoat (and glasses) into my bag.

There's a cloakroom by the Hamilton labs that you can keep you bag etc. in during labs or whatever, so you don't need a locker. I didn't have a locker and I got along fine. I'd say if you live far away from college, plan on going to the gym a bit or if you just don't fancy having to carry a bag around then do get one. Luckily, being a girl with an almost Mary Poppins like handbag, I didn't find carrying stuff around a problem, but I did have to share a friend's locker when I vowed to start using the gym. I went once.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Dubs

Where exactly do you have to go to get one?

• Advertisement

Dubs wrote: »
    Where exactly do you have to go to get one?

Arts block. There'll be a noticeable queue on the first day of term.

Any advice on whether to buy books for JF science ? Is there a lot of waiting around for copies to be returned to the library ?

Any advice on whether to buy books for JF science ? Is there a lot of waiting around for copies to be returned to the library ?

Around exam time some of the keys texts are out for a while but for the rest of the year there's no real problems.

If you can find any of the recommended texts cheap (or from students who've completed JF) then go for it as buying them brand new can be very expensive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 255 ✭✭JC06

Good luck to those getting supplemental results tomorrow!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

Don't bother buying books for first year. Lecture slides and the books in the library to clarify a few things are more than adequate.

You get a free one though if you do Physics to do the online tutorials.

Supplemental results are up on the hamilton noticeboards! 3rd year Chemistry here I come!:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

I failed one subject with 35% and there's no comment next to the results, I assume I passed with compensation and can go into second year?

amacachi wrote: »
    I failed one subject with 35% and there's no comment next to the results, I assume I passed with compensation and can go into second year?

Is there a "C" beside it?

Is there a "C" beside it?

Aye, just copped that, II-C

Same happened to me last year, thought I'd failed the year for a couple of hours before I realised!:p

• Advertisement

Same happened to me last year, thought I'd failed the year for a couple of hours before I realised!:p

Nah I was expecting to pass with compensation at best in one subject, tools didn't record a mark for something I did so even if it had've been as low as 29% I would've made sure I got into 2nd year somehow. :pac:
    Time to get absolutely out of my ****ing tree so. ^_^

Oh and congrats, enjoy the hell that is second year!!:P

Oh and congrats, enjoy the hell that is second year!!:P

Pfft, all I've learned this year is that to pass I just have to make an effort in the exam itself. :D :P Found out that one of the ones I failed first time round I would've passed if I'd made any effort, but a mate was up from Cork which doesn't happen often and I wanted some pints. :P
    Just ****in delighted that I'm not a two time dropout. Yet. :pac:

Anyone starting 3rd year Chem should note that we've a lab safety day tomorrow. The people with no repeats got an email a while back which I've just been forwarded.
    Dear All,
    The Junior Sophister Saftey workshop will be held on Tuesday 21st September, running all day!
    The course will take place in the Science Lecture Theatre and is expected to start at 09.30am.
    The day will finish with a prize giving and refreshments.
    Best regards,
    Mike Bridge
    Security Officer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Carl Sagan

I've gotta get used to being up early. I was falling asleep during that Course meeting thing.

Picked Biology 101/2, Chemistry 101/2 along with Maths Methods and Foundation Physics. What did everyone else go with?

Managed to completely avoid all the stands too, which is great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭H2student

Maths x2, Chem x2, Phy x2. Lots of maths ahead of me. It was infinitely better than I expected ^^

H2student wrote: »
    Maths x2, Chem x2, Phy x2. Lots of maths ahead of me. It was infinitely better than I expected ^^

Maths is easy enough if you make any effort to keep up. Well, I'm assuming you're already decent at maths with your subject choices. :pac:

Carl Sagan wrote: »
    I've gotta get used to being up early. I was falling asleep during that Course meeting thing.

Picked Biology 101/2, Chemistry 101/2 along with Maths Methods and Foundation Physics. What did everyone else go with?

Managed to completely avoid all the stands too, which is great.

Try having to get up 3 hours before your first lecture every day and getting home 2 hours after the last. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Carl Sagan

Try having to get up 3 hours before your first lecture every day and getting home 2 hours after the last. :pac:

I don't want to try that.

And I thought an hour bus was bad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Holysock

I decided to pick Biology and chemistry for 2 of my modules today,despite having only done physics for the leaving cert.In all honesty how screwed am I?I'm thinking already maybe of switching the chemistry..

Advertisement