Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Science TR071

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭DancingQueen:)

Aoiferz wrote: »
    Yeah mine's the exact same! My tutorials totally disappeared at one point. :S

That happened to me too actually. Biology still isn't back! I've a chemistry tutorial and Maths lab at the same time one day so no idea how i'm going to do both or which one to choose. Hoping it changes!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Craguls

That happened to me too actually. Biology still isn't back! I've a chemistry tutorial and Maths lab at the same time one day so no idea how i'm going to do both or which one to choose. Hoping it changes!

They only assign chemistry tutorial times so everyone doesn't go to the same one. There should be the same tutorial at 1 on Monday, Tuesday or Wednesday which you can go to. They stop taking attendance 3 weeks in but if you email Noelle Scully explaining the mix up you should be able to switch with little hassle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Lawliet

More timetable changes; I no longer have a biology tutorial but instead have two more 9 am starts. For maths methods. The joy.

Craguls wrote: »
    They only assign chemistry tutorial times so everyone doesn't go to the same one. There should be the same tutorial at 1 on Monday, Tuesday or Wednesday which you can go to. They stop taking attendance 3 weeks in but if you email Noelle Scully explaining the mix up you should be able to switch with little hassle.

Thank you! I'm supposed to do two Chemistry tutorials and only one is on the timetable. There's a maths lab schedueled at the same time as my other one so if it doesn't change soon i'll give her an email and get it sorted out.
    Lawliet wrote: »
    More timetable changes; I no longer have a biology tutorial but instead have two more 9 am starts. For maths methods. The joy.

I'm the same :( How are you finding Maths Methods? It's a big change from last year!

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Comrade C

Wats the story with the credits and patterns for the subjects in this course? U cant exceed 60 credits? So like u cudnt av 20 for the 2 bios, 20 for 2 chems, 20 for physics and 20 for mathamatics?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Jammyc

Comrade C wrote: »
    Wats the story with the credits and patterns for the subjects in this course? U cant exceed 60 credits? So like u cudnt av 20 for the 2 bios, 20 for 2 chems, 20 for physics and 20 for mathamatics?
    You wouldnt want to. Thatd be an unbelievably huge workload. 1 year in the ECTS is 60 credits, thats universal. 30 credits per semester.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭Blerdiii

FINALLY have internet XD got Phys x2 , Math x2 Biology and geology.
    gonna be weird doing biology again after 2 years!

I'm the same :( How are you finding Maths Methods? It's a big change from last year!
    Bit of a change of pace alright. The lectures are so frustratingly slow, I'm considering just getting a maths methods book from the library and trying to work through it myself

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭Scoobydooo

How many maths methods tutorials should we have because there's two listed on my online timetable at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 9 MrEcs

Scoobydooo wrote: »
    How many maths methods tutorials should we have because there's two listed on my online timetable at the moment
    well IIRC from last year we had 2. one for each lecturer. anyway i wouldnt worry too much. its only maths methods. youll get a first in it in your sleep

• Advertisement

Course has changed a little. It's not hard but does take a little bit of work.

Bit of a change of pace alright. The lectures are so frustratingly slow, I'm considering just getting a maths methods book from the library and trying to work through it myself

I was thinking of switching to Maths but I've to take Chemistry up from scratch so decided against it. Hoping it picks up a bit or there'll be no-one showing up because it's so easy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

I was thinking of switching to Maths but I've to take Chemistry up from scratch so decided against it. Hoping it picks up a bit or there'll be no-one showing up because it's so easy!

I switched to Maths after 2 weeks and did **** all in it, only went to half the lectures too. Still passed the exam for the first semester and a day of work for the repeat in semester 2 got me over 50% for the second semester. So unless you're interested in the subject you'd be dropping for maths I'd recommend switching. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Carl Sagan

What's the name of the Maths Methods book?

amacachi wrote: »
    I switched to Maths after 2 weeks and did **** all in it, only went to half the lectures too. Still passed the exam for the first semester and a day of work for the repeat in semester 2 got me over 50% for the second semester. So unless you're interested in the subject you'd be dropping for maths I'd recommend switching. :)

Seriously? I heard it was really difficult! Still thinking about moving but i'll give it a few more days and see if it changes.
    Thank you!
    Carl Sagan wrote: »
    What's the name of the Maths Methods book?

I missed the first 20 or so minutes of the first lecture (because I was in the wrong building:o) so i'm not sure if he mentioned anything but on the sheet Sinéad Ryan gave us it says 'Calculus for the Life Sciences' by Bittinger, Brand and Quintilla.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Seriously? I heard it was really difficult! Still thinking about moving but i'll give it a few more days and see if it changes.
    Thank you!

Did you do higher maths in the LC? I only got a B in it both times I did it. :pac: It can be hard at times to follow the lectures (I had no books and rarely read ahead in notes) but for a good 70% of the questions you could be asked it just takes a couple of practice questions and it's all obvious. Also if you do switch don't get put off by things being in 3D, it barely matters, it just makes each line you do longer. :pac:

amacachi wrote: »
    Did you do higher maths in the LC? I only got a B in it both times I did it. :pac: It can be hard at times to follow the lectures (I had no books and rarely read ahead in notes) but for a good 70% of the questions you could be asked it just takes a couple of practice questions and it's all obvious. Also if you do switch don't get put off by things being in 3D, it barely matters, it just makes each line you do longer. :pac:

I did but only managed to get a C. It was one of my favourite subjects but I just didn't have enough time for it :( I'll have to see how much work i've to put into Chemistry first and then think about moving because Maths Methods is too simple. We're learning the absolute basics that I learnt in a one or two classes at the start of 5th year :eek: Thanks for the help!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭danishidiot

Hey guys, long time no chat!

So, has anyone looked at the prepractical Q's for the cyroscopic determination of molecular weight?
    Having a bit of trouble with Q 1.

Any values I sub in lead to a madly incorrect answer! Help would be mucho appreciado

Hey guys, long time no chat!

So, has anyone looked at the prepractical Q's for the cyroscopic determination of molecular weight?
    Having a bit of trouble with Q 1.

Any values I sub in lead to a madly incorrect answer! Help would be mucho appreciado
    I've been trying same and I havent a clue... off to a great start!

• Advertisement

Has anyone else been asigned a biology tutorial yet?
    Still no sign of one on my timetable but I was talking to someone today who said they had theirs at one o'clock on Firday -which was the slot I had before they added the maths tutorials.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭danishidiot

At the start of the lab manual it has tutorial times. BY2201 tutorials start on Tuesday 2nd of November and BY2203 on Tuesday 14 December.

I don't know if these are set in stone, but thats all we've been told so far! Dunno where your mate got this friday from?;)

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Dubs

Has anyone else been asigned a biology tutorial yet?
    Still no sign of one on my timetable but I was talking to someone today who said they had theirs at one o'clock on Firday -which was the slot I had before they added the maths tutorials.

No there's none on my timetable either. I do have 2 maths ones in a row on friday though which is weird

on a side note, OH MY GOD that was the most terrifyingly humiliating thing I'v ever done. That biology class looks a feck lot bigger when your on the stage speaking. Got up there and just completely forgot everything :D We had a good laugh about it afterwards though. Seriously though, not normally that ridiculously uncomfortable, so vote for me, I'm somewhat normal when you actually get to know me!

Dubs wrote: »
    No there's none on my timetable either. I do have 2 maths ones in a row on friday though which is weird

on a side note, OH MY GOD that was the most terrifyingly humiliating thing I'v ever done. That biology class looks a feck lot bigger when your on the stage speaking. Got up there and just completely forgot everything :D We had a good laugh about it afterwards though. Seriously though, not normally that ridiculously uncomfortable, so vote for me, I'm somewhat normal when you actually get to know me!

That was you?? You did a great job! Everyone around me said they'd vote for you anywayy :D

Biology wise, no tutorials as of yet. I missed my extra Chemistry one today because I couldn't figure out how to see the list :(

That was you?? You did a great job! Everyone around me said they'd vote for you anywayy :D

Biology wise, no tutorials as of yet. I missed my extra Chemistry one today because I couldn't figure out how to see the list :(

If you're talking about the guy in the suit jacket and tie then yes, yes it was me. Thanks for the vote of confidence but needless to say, public speaking, not for me! :D Fair play to the chap who did it so calmly first in maths

If you're talking about the guy in the suit jacket and tie then yes, yes it was me. Thanks for the vote of confidence but needless to say, public speaking, not for me! :D Fair play to the chap who did it so calmly first in maths

I do Maths Methods so I didn't see the first guy : ( I only heard one other person running for it, do you know if they are many others?
    It was you I saw then, suit and tie were a nice touch! I'm sure the whole public speaking thing will get easier.

• Advertisement

I do Maths Methods so I didn't see the first guy : ( I only heard one other person running for it, do you know if they are many others?
    It was you I saw then, suit and tie were a nice touch! I'm sure the whole public speaking thing will get easier.
    Why thank you! Yeah there's 15 on the ballot sheet and I think 4 get elected. Did you hear about this girl in chemistry earlier? Probably shouldn't say it on this but if you heard about it you'd know exactly what I'm talking about. Very very weird

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Aoiferz

Why thank you! Yeah there's 15 on the ballot sheet and I think 4 get elected. Did you hear about this girl in chemistry earlier? Probably shouldn't say it on this but if you heard about it you'd know exactly what I'm talking about. Very very weird

Oh, I don't do chemistry and I'm intrigued!! Well done though earlier, I wouldn't be able to speak in front of all those people! :D

15 :eek: They should get themselves out there so!
    No I didn't?? Chemistry.. I was upstairs, front row and practically falling asleep! Don't think anything out of the ordinary happened around me. I'll have to ask people tomorrow now. Weird how?

15 :eek: They should get themselves out there so!
    No I didn't?? Chemistry.. I was upstairs, front row and practically falling asleep! Don't think anything out of the ordinary happened around me. I'll have to ask people tomorrow now. Weird how?
    I was upstairs too. Didn't even know it happened until a few people said it afterwards. Weird as in you definitely would have thought there would have been more of a fuss made. I'll send you an oul pm

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭celtic723

I was upstairs too. Didn't even know it happened until a few people said it afterwards. Weird as in you definitely would have thought there would have been more of a fuss made. I'll send you an oul pm

I'm intrigued. Pm please.:D

• Advertisement

How weird was it? O_O

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭celtic723

Craguls wrote: »
    How weird was it? O_O
    Let's just say it involves shaking, clothes, a mother, and crying.

Needless to say it's very weird.

O_O was justified.

PM me!! Plz :P

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭dog_pig

I wish to hear more of whatever happened in Chemistry!

On a side-note are we supposed to be registered for any courses on webct?

Thanks for the vote of confidence but needless to say, public speaking, not for me! :D Fair play to the chap who did it so calmly first in maths
    I heard several people in the packed corridor afterwards saying they prefered you
    dog_pig wrote: »
    I wish to hear more of whatever happened in Chemistry!
    Same. I was there I didn't see anything, I miss everything!

Looking at the past papers for SF, last year has papers for BY2201-10, but also has 4 other Bio papers, whats the story with those?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭Blerdiii

hey can a JF tell me where ill find that online biology assesment?

Blerdiii wrote: »
    hey can a JF tell me where ill find that online biology assesment?

I think we were supposed to get an email about it because the website's down but I havn't gotten anything yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Furd Terguson

Where are we supposed to bring our Biology Practical write ups?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Carl Sagan

How is everyone finding the JF lab work? I'm finding the practical write ups for Chemistry and Biology really hard. I've only been able to answer a couple of things onn each, and I don't wanna hand them in so empty.

How is everyone finding the JF lab work? I'm finding the practical write ups for Chemistry and Biology really hard. I've only been able to answer a couple of things onn each, and I don't wanna hand them in so empty.

Ye I've been finding them very hard as well. Think it's a sign to start studying a bit. I feel sorry for anyone who hasn't done chemistry before.

I agree, I kinda neglected the bio write up so far. I hadn't a clue what to do in either of those experiments during the lab!

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭Scoobydooo

Ye the chemistry ones quite tough, what exactly do we have to hand in for biology is it just that yellow sheet ? They didn't really explain it that well...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Jammyc wrote: »
    Looking at the past papers for SF, last year has papers for BY2201-10, but also has 4 other Bio papers, whats the story with those?
    I think they refer to the older pre-semesterisation exam structure. This year, one person did those papers while the other 280-odd biology students of some form or another did the BY220X exams. I believe it was someone doing those exams off-books so the course changes couldn't have applied to him/her.

The old Biology 1 and Biology 2 papers 1&2 essentially covered all BY2201-2210 modules and the exam was more stressful I felt, having 4 papers to cover the equivalent of 10 sections where this year onwards, there is one exam per section.

I think they refer to the older pre-semesterisation exam structure. This year, one person did those papers while the other 280-odd biology students of some form or another did the BY220X exams. I believe it was someone doing those exams off-books so the course changes couldn't have applied to him/her.

The old Biology 1 and Biology 2 papers 1&2 essentially covered all BY2201-2210 modules and the exam was more stressful I felt, having 4 papers to cover the equivalent of 10 sections where this year onwards, there is one exam per section.
    Ahh cool. Cheers!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

Would any of the 3rd years know how many spaces there are in Astrophysics and straight Physics in 3rd year?
    :toppa:

Would any of the 3rd years know how many spaces there are in Astrophysics and straight Physics in 3rd year?

The JS/SS choice book from last year lists 10 places, (Page 5) also describes the content in depth.

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭fungie

The Physics never fills up

• Advertisement

Scoobydooo wrote: »
    what exactly do we have to hand in for biology is it just that yellow sheet ? They didn't really explain it that well...
    I don't even recall hearing them say when it had to be in for

Advertisement