Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Science TR071

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Little Grey Cells

Scoobydooo wrote: »
    Ye the chemistry ones quite tough, what exactly do we have to hand in for biology is it just that yellow sheet ? They didn't really explain it that well...

What yellow sheet?! *panics*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Carl Sagan

What yellow sheet?! *panics*

There's a yellow sheet that came with our Biology Lab Manual. Your demonstrator signed it at the end of your lab last week.

I didn't hear anything about handing it in either so I suppose we don't have to.

Still have no idea how to do any of those things in the Chemistry write up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭DancingQueen:)

Carl Sagan wrote: »
    There's a yellow sheet that came with our Biology Lab Manual. Your demonstrator signed it at the end of your lab last week.

I didn't hear anything about handing it in either so I suppose we don't have to.

My bench was told it had to be in at the start of our next lab and it also says that on the sheet so maybe have it done just incase.

Does anyone know where the Chemistry Seminar Room is? I had a tutorial there today but didn't know where to go and I ended up missing it. I asked tons of people but no-one knew where it was :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 321 ✭✭fishtastico

As a demonstrator, I'd like to remind you all to READ THE SHEETS PROPERLY. It says to hand in the yellow sheets in practical #2. The rest of your lab books are corrected at the end of term, but I'd advise you to get them sorted ASAP so you don't forget.

And as for not having things explained to you, try demonstrating to a bench of 16 people when you've been told exactly the same things as they have!

Still have no idea how to do any of those things in the Chemistry write up.

The demonstrator signed your attendance sheet. You should have also recieved a loose yellow sheet with questions pertaining to your next practical.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

And as for not having things explained to you, try demonstrating to a bench of 16 people when you've been told exactly the same things as they have!

I wouldn't fancy it myself, but the variation in helpfulness of the demotrators is massive, I've only started 2nd year. :pac:

amacachi wrote: »
    I wouldn't fancy it myself, but the variation in helpfulness of the demotrators is massive, I've only started 2nd year. :pac:

Yeah, there can be a few dodgy ones, but most want to help. Even if they're helpful though, it can be daunting trying to explain a calculation for the first time to someone when you have five other people needing help with different stuff.

And I can't emphasise reading your lab book enough. 90% of questions are answered in the book

• Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭GlasnevinRed

Does anyone know where the Chemistry Seminar Room is? I had a tutorial there today but didn't know where to go and I ended up missing it. I asked tons of people but no-one knew where it was :(

Go in the main door of the Chemistry building and through the door to your left, up the stairs and it's the door on your right immediately at the top of the stairs.

Had a Chemistry tutorial today and had no idea what he was talking about. Again.

Go in the main door of the Chemistry building and through the door to your left, up the stairs and it's the door on your right immediately at the top of the stairs.

Thanks a million! I muct have been right beside it today, I asked someone coming from that direction aswel. Thanks again :)
    Had a Chemistry tutorial today and had no idea what he was talking about. Again.

Have you done Chemistry before? I'm the exact same, it's so difficult!

• Advertisement

Have you done Chemistry before? I'm the exact same, it's so difficult!

Nope haven't done it before. I'm slowly learning the basics though.

It's even hard figuring out what I've to learn.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Dubs

Is it the new teachers stuff or Wolfgang's lectures that your having trouble with? I've done chemistry before and I found Wolfgang's pretty hard but this new guy's I find easier as it was one of my favourite parts and relatively early in the leaving cert. It's not too bad once you get the hang of it but the pace is a lot quicker than leaving cert level.

If anyone wants to meet up for a for a revision / study group gimme a shout, or even if yous want a loan of a leaving cert chemistry book which explains what we're doing now quite well, though leaving out one or two things just let me know!

Also, SUIT UP!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Lawliet

That email we got about enzymes, do we need to bring that to the practicals?

Lawliet wrote: »
    That email we got about enzymes, do we need to bring that to the practicals?

What's in the e-mail?

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Holysock

I really don't understand the yellow sheet.The email doesn't explain any of the questions on the sheet and the web exercise and map don't help much either. I'm so confused :(

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Aoiferz

Holysock wrote: »
    I really don't understand the yellow sheet.The email doesn't explain any of the questions on the sheet and the web exercise and map don't help much either. I'm so confused :(

Same here :(

Also I'm having trouble with the calculations from the last experiment. The graph doesn't go through the origin, right? And how do you get the concentration of the stuff in the bottle?

The concentration of the potassium dichromate is 1.25 g/l. it says so on the table.

Seriously guys, read the booklet. You're only robbing yourself of marks if you don't

Aoiferz wrote: »
    Same here :(

Also I'm having trouble with the calculations from the last experiment. The graph doesn't go through the origin, right? And how do you get the concentration of the stuff in the bottle?
    concentration = 1.25/dilution. So for the 1a, 1b and 1c it's 1.25/101 and for 2a, 2b and 2c it's 1.25/51

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

I missed Chemistry and Biology labs last week due to illness ;_;

So a quick question - I know there's a pre-practical talk before Chemistry... is that on in the lab or a different room? And is the lab the one where we picked up our lab manuals?

Hotaru wrote: »
    I missed Chemistry and Biology labs last week due to illness ;_;

So a quick question - I know there's a pre-practical talk before Chemistry... is that on in the lab or a different room? And is the lab the one where we picked up our lab manuals?
    Yup yup, it's all on in the lab where we picked up our manuals.

• Advertisement

I actually don't have one of the yellow sheets. Was it given out at the start? I was late.
    Dubs wrote: »
    Is it the new teachers stuff or Wolfgang's lectures that your having trouble with? I've done chemistry before and I found Wolfgang's pretty hard but this new guy's I find easier as it was one of my favourite parts and relatively early in the leaving cert. It's not too bad once you get the hang of it but the pace is a lot quicker than leaving cert level.

If anyone wants to meet up for a for a revision / study group gimme a shout, or even if yous want a loan of a leaving cert chemistry book which explains what we're doing now quite well, though leaving out one or two things just let me know!

Also, SUIT UP!!!

Wolfgang's stuff really. Yeah, I think a revision group is necessary!

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭Scoobydooo

Ye they were given out at the start, how's everyone getting on with those yellow sheets i'm finding it quite hard at the moment. The first few q's are fine but I can't do much after that ! Would anyone be willing to PM me a few of the answers :p

Scoobydooo wrote: »
    Ye they were given out at the start, how's everyone getting on with those yellow sheets i'm finding it quite hard at the moment. The first few q's are fine but I can't do much after that ! Would anyone be willing to PM me a few of the answers :p

Would if I could, finding it really tough myself! after the first few questions, I don't have a clue.

The concentration of the potassium dichromate is 1.25 g/l. it says so on the table.

Seriously guys, read the booklet. You're only robbing yourself of marks if you don't

I knew that, it was getting the unknown concentration I had trouble with. Got it now though

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Nemanja-Smith

I had my bio lab today, nobody was able to answer it fully so he jus went through the answers towards the end of the lab

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Holysock

I had my bio lab today, nobody was able to answer it fully so he jus went through the answers towards the end of the lab

That's a relief.I havn't done biology before and was really worried that everyone else would know what it was about. I've never googled so much in my life

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭danishidiot

To the SF guys;

Has anyone started the proteonomics project? Whats the deal with it exactly?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Craguls

To the SF guys;

Has anyone started the proteonomics project? Whats the deal with it exactly?

We can't really make any progress with it until Mok gives us the go ahead. It's mostly submitted by webct too from what I hear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

What was Mario talking about today also? Anything I need to worry about soon?

• Advertisement

Whatever he was talking about, it's on Monday, but I couldn't hear what he was saying. I think it's in Biolab 1, and we should have gotten an email about it yesterday, which we havent.

Also, is anyone else getting seriously annoyed by the fact that if you sit more than 3 rows away from the front you have to spend the entire lecture watching people come in late trying to find seats? Between that and the fact that one of my mates talks constantly, I think I'm going mad. I can't hear a thing any of the lecturers are saying, especially Mario, and I'd actually like to not have to pass exams by the skin of my teeth this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Craguls

Whatever he was talking about, it's on Monday, but I couldn't hear what he was saying. I think it's in Biolab 1, and we should have gotten an email about it yesterday, which we havent.
    It was sent this morning.
    Also, is anyone else getting seriously annoyed by the fact that if you sit more than 3 rows away from the front you have to spend the entire lecture watching people come in late trying to find seats?

It's because of the timetable this year, chemistry is between the arts block and the chemistry building when it's followed by biology while those in geography and maths are in a similar situation. The majority of people can't help it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭celtic723

Is there any chance the now JS science students could give some tips on how to do well this year in SF Science.

Workload is pretty heavy already. Any tips that will aid with studying certain Bio & Chem modules.

Cheers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Groinshot

celtic723 wrote: »
    Is there any chance the now JS science students could give some tips on how to do well this year in SF Science.

Workload is pretty heavy already. Any tips that will aid with studying certain Bio & Chem modules.

Cheers.
    Coming from a SF engineer-
    Go to lectures.
    Do the assignments. Read lecture notes before you go in. If you don't have them, read them after. Read chapter of book that is relevant to lecture. Compile notes. work from notes. Don't leave stuff to the last minute. etc etc etc
    not exactly rocket science

For any JF in Biology.

Haven't got access to my Bio lab manual right now. Did we get any homework?

For any JF in Biology.

Haven't got access to my Bio lab manual right now. Did we get any homework?

Nothing like the lab assessment we got last week, just do the questions on the experiment I think.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭Scrappychimow

Can someone tell me please in maths methods when sinead was talking about the population for year 2 or 3, in leslie matrices is it A^2(P) for year 3?

I mean the original leslie matrix squared multiplied by the population vector of year 2?

She didnt explain it very well... help please:)

Firsties, add us here www.facebook.com/JFScienceTrinity so we can keep in touch and update you all on events, via the power of the interwebs

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭Scoobydooo

Any JF's know where to get the latest Genetics notes ?

Been out the last three days, have I missed much in Maths/Bio/Physics?

In maths you just have to catch up on notes really, not that I can understand anything that Sindt puts up on the board anyways.
    If you've done biology for the leaving cert, there hasn't really been anything new. Luke O'Neill finished with us on Monday, whos lectures you can get online, and now we have some new woman who's just been doing genetic crosses, whos lectures I'm told are not online.

• Advertisement

In maths you just have to catch up on notes really, not that I can understand anything that Sindt puts up on the board anyways.
    If you've done biology for the leaving cert, there hasn't really been anything new. Luke O'Neill finished with us on Monday, whos lectures you can get online, and now we have some new woman who's just been doing genetic crosses, whos lectures I'm told are not online.

Ah, that's grand then. Cheers for letting me know!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 maryd83

Hey guys, does anyone know what the most popular moderatorship choices are? People keep saying all different things. So far I've heard, genetics, zoology, neuroscience, molecular medicine and biochem with immunology are the most popular. Is this true? I reall want microbiology....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭GlasnevinRed

maryd83 wrote: »
    Hey guys, does anyone know what the most popular moderatorship choices are? People keep saying all different things. So far I've heard, genetics, zoology, neuroscience, molecular medicine and biochem with immunology are the most popular. Is this true? I reall want microbiology....

This year anyway, it seemed to be, Genetics, Physiology, Neuro and Mol Med. I know someone who got into Microbiology after the supplementals but these things can change year by year.

Do we have to hand in our JF Chemistry lab reports tomorrow? We don't have a lab this week so I'm not sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Morgase

Do we have to hand in our JF Chemistry lab reports tomorrow? We don't have a lab this week so I'm not sure.

If you did your lab on Thursday morning, then yes you need to hand in by 4pm tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Morgase

we have some new woman who's just been doing genetic crosses, whos lectures I'm told are not online.

They are now! (They're her slides from last year afaik, but they're close enough. Her slides from this year will go up on the Biology Teaching Centre site when her component of the course is finished.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Lawliet

I know I asked this before, but has anyone heard anything more about the biology tutorials?

• Registered Users Posts: 40 StradBally

I've read through quite a bit of this thread and have seen references to optional language classes.

Is it possible to include a language as part of the course eg

Junior Freshman
    Chemistry 1101 - 10 credits
    Chemistry 1102 - 10 credits
    Geology 1101 - 10 credits
    with
    Mathematical methods - 10 credits
    Spanish - 20 credits
    or
    Mathematics - 20 credits
    Spanish - 10 credits

Senior Freshman
    Chemistry CH2201 - 10 credits
    Chemistry CH2202 - 10 credits
    Geology GL2201, GL2202, GL2203, GL2204 - 20 credits
    Spanish - 20 credits

The prospectus tells me that this is not possible, but on the off chance that it is possible, I would appreciate confirmation.

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Jammyc

AFAIK, no. The language classes are taken on your own time and do not count as part of your 60 credits.

Lawliet wrote: »
    I know I asked this before, but has anyone heard anything more about the biology tutorials?

They havn't said anything about them so i'm guessing we don't have any, could be wrong though! Maybe send an email about it to someone in the biology department if you don't get an answer? They always seem happy to help.

• Advertisement
Advertisement