Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Science TR071

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Lawliet

I'm just paranoid that they've started and everyone knows about it expect me :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭DancingQueen:)

Lawliet wrote: »
    I'm just paranoid that they've started and everyone knows about it expect me :pac:

And me :eek:
    I might ask someone about it actually, i'll let you know if I find out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭Scrappychimow

Hi,
    In JF physical chemistry, are we allowed to attached a printed out titration/pH curve made on excel, with our lab report books? Instead of drawing it out by hand?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Morgase

Hi,
    In JF physical chemistry, are we allowed to attached a printed out titration/pH curve made on excel, with our lab report books? Instead of drawing it out by hand?

I'd say they'd prefer to see a hand-drawn curve as it shows that you know how to plot a graph and leave any outliers out of the curve.

I know I asked this before, but has anyone heard anything more about the biology tutorials?

I asked my demonstrator today and she said she doesn't think we have any but will ask someone and get back to me.
    Hi,

Yup we're allowed to do that once we staple it into the books so it can't fall out.

I asked my demonstrator today and she said she doesn't think we have any but will ask someone and get back to me.

Yup we're allowed to do that once we staple it into the books so it can't fall out.

Cool!

Hi,
    Our demonstrator said that we might as well use excel because we'll be expected to use it next year anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭H2student

Our demonstrator said that we might as well use excel because we'll be expected to use it next year anyway
    Ah cool. That will save me some time using my eraser to fix all the mistakes I make.

And cool, didn't know Lawliet is in my class ^^, remember talking to you during the Leaving Cert in the forum :p

Heh I remember you as well, small country I guess

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

From what I hear in SF Chemistry they expect Excel graphs while in SF Biology which I'm doing they insist on hand-drawn graphs which is more than a little annoying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Craguls

amacachi wrote: »
    From what I hear in SF Chemistry they expect Excel graphs while in SF Biology which I'm doing they insist on hand-drawn graphs which is more than a little annoying.

They don't really expect them in chemistry but when you either need to draw 6 graphs or have a data set with 45 entries the consensus is you may as well make your life easier.

I think Biology just seems to be under the impression you can't draw a graph based on the lab tutorial this week.

Also if anyone's wondering the biology tutorials didn't start until after reading week last year. You'll get plenty of info though about times and stuff and Rochford should announce it in the lab. Attendance isn't necessary but they expand on stuff a lot more than in the lectures. I found them to be great for the second module.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Jammyc

Soo, how about that schols in science? I cant really pinpoint any one area where I'm falling down, just in general. Still havent handed in the form, I'm far too undecided. How is anyone else getting on?

Jammyc wrote: »
    Still havent handed in the form, I'm far too undecided. How is anyone else getting on?

Questionable health at present has stopped me from doing the same. I think all you can really do is make the best possible answers you can to previous questions (which sucks given not all of the old papers are transferable to the new course) and practice really. I know a few people who've suggested doing study groups and the like sound like a good idea to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭Pet

Reading the odd few journal articles here and there (just to keep on top of current developments in each field) wouldn't go amiss either.

Any publication in particular you'd recommend aside from Science and Nature?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭Pet

Nah. Literally, like...throw in a nugget here or there into the odd exam answer, that's it. Don't go overboard. If you find a topic you're studying interesting (or if you just think you're lacking that extra you need), have a flick through a Nature Reviews Blah/Trends in Blah review for the odd bit extra that isn't in the textbook. If nothing else, it's good practice for JS/SS.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 kilgannon

Has anybody in JF maths methods been able to hand in their CV only or do u have to hand it in at the lab?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭danishidiot

Well submitting the proteomics project has become the nightmare I suspected. Bound to happen I guess, but still frustrating. It just crashed and logged out all 154 people who were logged in.
    I'm guessing they will extend the deadline given that 90% of people will be trying to submit to today and fail (including me).

What do you ugys think? Anyone manage to submit the project?

Peace.

Well submitting the proteomics project has become the nightmare I suspected. Bound to happen I guess, but still frustrating. It just crashed and logged out all 154 people who were logged in.
    I'm guessing they will extend the deadline given that 90% of people will be trying to submit to today and fail (including me).

What do you ugys think? Anyone manage to submit the project?

Peace.

I foresaw this and submitted it last night /smug

I don't think they're going to be overly sympathetic unless you've a decent reason ie. Illness

Submit it during the night and you'll be ok I reckon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 931 ✭✭✭banjopaul

Craguls wrote: »
    I don't think they're going to be overly sympathetic unless you've a decent reason ie. Illness

I call bull**** on this.

One of the lab ladies said to a girl in a similar situation on the discussion boards, not to worry if she couldn't get it submitted and to just bring it in to the lab on monday morning or some such. They can't penalise when the submissions aren't being accepted.

Edit: from the discussion board
    If you were able to work on your project from your home laptop you should be able to submit your assignment on webCT. We are not sure but both glynis and I are finding Web CT really slow today maybe try and submit again this evening. If you are not successful come in to me on monday morning in the main teaching lab and we will organise your submission for you
    Don't panic it will be fine

• Advertisement

kilgannon wrote: »
    Has anybody in JF maths methods been able to hand in their CV only or do u have to hand it in at the lab?

Hand it in at your next lab , did you use the same style as the sample one?

banjopaul wrote: »
    I call bull**** on this.

One of the lab ladies said to a girl in a similar situation on the discussion boards, not to worry if she couldn't get it submitted and to just bring it in to the lab on monday morning or some such. They can't penalise when the submissions aren't being accepted.

Edit: from the discussion board

I stand corrected.

I dunno what yous are on about, it's working fine for me. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8 jessychan!

how do we view the sample CV.. i cant find it at all!..and when is the deadline for submitting the cv?

• Registered Users Posts: 13 kilgannon

Hand it in at your next lab , did you use the same style as the sample one?

i cant actually log in to find the sample one at all.its real annoying.my account is all wierd and not working

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 931 ✭✭✭banjopaul

Proteomics submitted just there, seconds before I read the email telling us to stop trying.

I assume it submitted once it says it did, not hassle I need. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Carl Sagan

kilgannon wrote: »
    i cant actually log in to find the sample one at all.its real annoying.my account is all wierd and not working

Suppose this was done in the labs? Missed the last two. What's the deal?

Carl Sagan wrote: »
    Suppose this was done in the labs? Missed the last two. What's the deal?

I missed the last one as it was on the same time as the march but in the one before it they said we had to hand up a CV by the 19th. I think we can base it on a sample CV, I never saw one so I'm just doing a normal one and handing it up in my next lab.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

Are the Chemistry or Maths tutorials worth any percentage towards our final grade? If anyone has the assessment break downs for Maths, Chemistry and Biology actually that'd be great - I can't seem to find the information online anywhere?

• Advertisement

Thanks DancingQueen. So I'll just throw one together and hand it in.
    Hotaru wrote: »
    Are the Chemistry or Maths tutorials worth any percentage towards our final grade? If anyone has the assessment break downs for Maths, Chemistry and Biology actually that'd be great - I can't seem to find the information online anywhere?

I think they count for a very small amount. I can't imagine it's a lot considering you just have to show up and write your name down.

I'll have a look for it though - I'm fairly sure I wrote it down/bookmarked it for Chemistry and Biology.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Jammyc

Chemistry Tutorials didnt count for anything last year so I can imagine it being diffrerent this year. Cant speak for Maths, but Maths Methods tutorials were 10% for each of the two types.

Jammyc wrote: »
    Chemistry Tutorials didnt count for anything last year so I can imagine it being diffrerent this year. Cant speak for Maths, but Maths Methods tutorials were 10% for each of the two types.

Chemistry assessment was 20% labs 10% MCQ's for both modules.

Biology was one third for lab work and I think of that third 22% was for a MCQ. The second module was somewhat the same but the marks were redistributed but you'll be told after christmas.

Both maths and maths methods were 10% tutorials iirc. I don't know about the labs.

Hotaru wrote: »

Its says here http://www.maths.tcd.ie/pub/official/Courses09-10/MA1M01.html
    25% for maths.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭Scoobydooo

Hey, would any SF Science people have a copy of the Christmas Biology MCQ for JF because I really don't know what to expect and want to try get some practice done, thanks :)

I don't have it, but I wouldn't worry about the christmas one if I were you. It's mainly about what chemicals/materials you used and why you did what you did (IIRC). If you make sure to read through the manual beforehand you'll be fine.

The summer one though was ridiculous! The questions were fine but they played musical chairs for the whole thing. There was a question at each desk and we had to move round the desks to the sound of "schrishurshishishishick". It was both fun and inconvenient :)

Anyone know where I can find the crimbo MCQ for chemistry?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭Blerdiii

ehm i missed the JF math lab this week...what happened?:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭vladglenin

Blerdiii wrote: »

The beginning of your slippery slope to failing repeats.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Dubs

Blerdiii wrote: »

Nothing really. We just filled in a spread sheet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭Blerdiii

Dubs wrote: »
    Nothing really. We just filled in a spread sheet.
    ha cheers! :D

Does any have an email address I can send the maths methods CV to? Or just know of anyway to submit it online?

Has Maths Methods been so full since the start of the year or is it only since people have been switching into it from full maths?

Dubs wrote: »
    Has Maths Methods been so full since the start of the year or is it only since people have been switching into it from full maths?

Normally fills up as a result of people switching.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭celtic723

That write up for metabolism experiment is an absolute disaster. I haven't a clue where to start.

• Advertisement

celtic723 wrote: »
    That write up for metabolism experiment is an absolute disaster. I haven't a clue where to start.

Not got much of a clue myself. Hate that I had to do this module.

Leaving for college in 45 mins and I still dont have it done.

Have to drop a chem lap report in tomorrow. Don't know if I'm gonna be able to get in though.

Carl Sagan wrote: »
    Have to drop a chem lap report in tomorrow. Don't know if I'm gonna be able to get in though.
    Just send Noelle an email and you should be alright. Loads of people have been saying the same thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Aoiferz

Is anybody going in? :p

• Advertisement
Advertisement