Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Science TR071

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Carl Sagan

I'm not in till 5 either, might head in before two to get the Biology lab book though.
    Not sure about Biology, I found out there weren't on through facebook!

Suppose I'll get some study done then while I wait. Were you in the Geography lecture on Monday? Was anything important said?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭DancingQueen:)

Carl Sagan wrote: »
    Suppose I'll get some study done then while I wait. Were you in the Geography lecture on Monday? Was anything important said?

For the first half an hour we went through the Introduction to Geography booklet that was in the email, he pointed out dates things had to be handed up, how they had to be handed up etc. Everything he said is in the booklet.

Then we started a bit of Environmental Geography, the notes are up on Web CT so you didn't miss much at all!

I decided not to go in to get the lab book, someone got it for me :D

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Aoiferz

Anybody have their Geology lab/tutorial whatever it is yet? It's so confusingly laid out :confused: Do you only go at the time you got emailed about, not the actual 'lab' time?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Jammyc

Any SFs from last year wanna give me a date as to when the Micro MCQ was?

Anyone have any idea of what's going on with Colavita's notes? I've finally found some motivation to work and they're definitely not on my WebCT.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭Scrappychimow

Do we need to wear a lab coat to the foundation physics labs?

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Aoiferz

Nah, I wouldn't say so. You don't have to for full Physics labs.

Anyone have any idea of what's going on with Colavita's notes? I've finally found some motivation to work and they're definitely not on my WebCT.
    There in the course CH2202b. If you're not registered fire her an email and she'll register you. Thats what I had to do!

We didnt last year anyway!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

Aoiferz wrote: »
    Nah, I wouldn't say so. You don't have to for full Physics labs.
    In now 2.5 years of theoretical physics, I've only gotten to wear a lab coat once. Very disappointing. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Lawliet

Our demonstrator in Chemistry never said when the lab reports need to be handed in for, is it Monday again?

Lawliet wrote: »
    Our demonstrator in Chemistry never said when the lab reports need to be handed in for, is it Monday again?

My bench had to stay behind and finish the sheet there but i'm pretty sure it's the start of the next lab that you hand it up.

Jammyc wrote: »
    Any SFs from last year wanna give me a date as to when the Micro MCQ was?
    Anybody??

Lawliet wrote: »
    My bench had to stay behind and finish the sheet there but i'm pretty sure it's the start of the next lab that you hand it up.

We don't have to do a write up for it do we?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Lawliet

I actually don't know, I assumed we did because it says every week in the book, but then the demonstrator didn't mention it and no one else seems to know about it, so maybe we don't!

Nope, I asked and we just have to fill in results on the sheet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 255 ✭✭JC06

Jammyc wrote: »
    Anybody??

I think it was around the 19th of March, if that helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭Scrappychimow

Is there any chance someone knows of a link to a printable JF physics lab report sheet? I forgot to take one the other day :pac:

How do you open the Blind Watchmaker program on the macs? I couldn't find it and can't remember what he said. I don't have the little booklet or lab manual with me today. Or did anyone manage to find it online?

How do you open the Blind Watchmaker program on the macs? I couldn't find it and can't remember what he said. I don't have the little booklet or lab manual with me today. Or did anyone manage to find it online?

It's not on the macs, just on the usual computers down the other end of the corridor. I don't have the booklet either but if you go into All Programmes it should be there. I'm doing it at the moment and am getting a little sick of lobsters!

• Advertisement

Oh fyi about the Blind Watchmaker, last year they said that one of the things you could do was a starfish with more than 4 legs, lots of people did 8 legged starfish and got docked marks because by "any more than 4", they meant "exactly 5". I love how clearly the biology department communicate. So yeah, stay away from the starfish!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

I didn't realise we got it back! The other two were easy enough, just make sure it looks vaguely like what it's meant to. Doesn't say the plane has to have only 2 wings. :pac:

It's not on the macs, just on the usual computers down the other end of the corridor. I don't have the booklet either but if you go into All Programmes it should be there. I'm doing it at the moment and am getting a little sick of lobsters!

Ah I see, thanks :) I'll have a look tomorrow. Hope it doesn't take long to do; I found one online that's similar and it was boring.

Ah I see, thanks :) I'll have a look tomorrow. Hope it doesn't take long to do; I found one online that's similar and it was boring.

The lobster doesn't take too long, the starfish is a different story! I managed to save the wrong thing so i'll be back in doing it later, think i'll give the plane a try this time.

Any JSes remember how long the exams went on for last summer, if they went into the 4th week specifically? Would love to head to the NW200 this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭GlasnevinRed

amacachi wrote: »
    Any JSes remember how long the exams went on for last summer, if they went into the 4th week specifically? Would love to head to the NW200 this year.

Iirc mine started on Mon 26th of April and finished on Tuesday 18th of May. (Animal Behaviour was my last exam). If you go online and look at last years exam papers the dates should be on them.

Iirc mine started on Mon 26th of April and finished on Tuesday 18th of May. (Animal Behaviour was my last exam). If you go online and look at last years exam papers the dates should be on them.

That's the 4th week so, nuts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 321 ✭✭fishtastico

Anyone know where 2nd year genetics labs are being held on Monday?

Anyone know where 2nd year genetics labs are being held on Monday?

Same as the rest of the term as far as I know.

• Advertisement

Are you sure? It's all computer-based

Are you sure? It's all computer-based

Have you paid attention in lectures/checked your email recently? Go to the BIOLAB as usual, there'll be a talk then we go the PC labs to do it. If you have your own laptop and can get it online with the college network you're meant to bring it and you can do the practical in the lab.

Unfortunately they don't e-mail these details to the demonstrators. Cheers

Unfortunately they don't e-mail these details to the demonstrators. Cheers

Apologies. :)

Anyone know where to find out which group we're in for BY2207 lab on tues? I wasn't in college on fri, did they tell us then?

I was gonna ask tomorrow. I didnt hear of any groups on Friday, and the email we were sent seems to assume we knew which.

Also, do we have to install anything for the genetics lab tomorrow or will that be sorted in the lab?

• Advertisement

For 2207 check your timetable at isservices.tcd.ie/portal, it'll say your group there. It's still down for last week but the groups are the same.
    12:00-14:00 (PRACT)
    Weeks: 23
    Module: BY2207
    Group: Lab A
    Site: EE5
    Room: BIOLAB
    That's what comes up on mine anyway.

For the genetics lab I don't think anything has to be installed, didn't notice anything when I was glancing through the manual.

Cheers. Makes sense. Mine says lab B!

I'm confused with this prawn lab report... how many graphs do we need? :o

I'm confused with this prawn lab report... how many graphs do we need? :o

I think we have to do six, three with normal numbers and then three using log10.
    I'm still working my way through the first three, not entirely sure how to do the others yet.

Does anyone know when we have to start picking Moderatorships for next year or when they give us the booklets with the info?

• Advertisement

Well last year was the 9th of April according to the online booklet...

The deadline I mean

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭Scoobydooo

Hey, would any second years be able to cast their minds back to that horrible prawn report for biology and tell me how we're meant to interpret the graphs we produced? I've done pretty much everything else just not sure what we're meant to say about the graphs! thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 quicksnap

same, having awful trouble interpreting the graph data. Also, the lab manual and my results seem to contradict each other...even the lab manual and the data on the green page contradicts each other. It says
    'a slope value > 1.0 indicates that an organ or shape is increasing relatively faster than the referece value, as when claw weight increases faster than body weight' My slope is less than 1.0

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭celtic723

Anyone got a link to look at the JS Handbook?

For those asking about the nephrops thing I'm not just being unhelpful, I just lobbed the data into a spreadsheet and put in a line of best fit. Probably not what they're looking for.

celtic723 wrote: »
    Anyone got a link to look at the JS Handbook?

As far as I know it's not out yet. If it is, I doubt it's online yet because I was looking at last year's one yesterday, and if the new one was out they'd have taken the old one down.

As far as I know it's not out yet. If it is, I doubt it's online yet because I was looking at last year's one yesterday, and if the new one was out they'd have taken the old one down.
    can i have a link to the old one please?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Craguls

Link here

What's everyone looking at? My top four are Genetics, Immunology, Neuroscience and Molecular Medicine in that order.
    It'd only change in a very minor sense anyway. They'd likely just remove physics and comp simulation.

Also re: the JF's and the prawns what I did last year was interpret the results in context to how the organism developed and suggested why it may have evolved that way and how it made sense in terms of it's development and I got 86%. Just try explain what the data means.

Craguls wrote: »

Awesome. Thanks.

Craguls wrote: »
    Link here

What's everyone looking at? My top four are Genetics, Immunology, Neuroscience and Molecular Medicine in that order.

It'd only change in a very minor sense anyway. They'd likely just remove physics and comp simulation.

Also re: the JF's and the prawns what I did last year was interpret the results in context to how the organism developed and suggested why it may have evolved that way and how it made sense in terms of it's development and I got 86%. Just try explain what the data means.

My top 4 are Micro, Immuno, Cell Bio, Genetics.

Really hoping to get Micro though. Love the module this year.

• Advertisement
Advertisement