Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Science TR071

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Jammyc

I'm pretty sure Physiology is still my #1, though Biochemistry in some form seems somewhat appealing so maybe molecular med. Is there a list anywhere of minima of overall grades of people getting each moderatorship?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Craguls wrote: »
    What's everyone looking at? My top four are Genetics, Immunology, Neuroscience and Molecular Medicine in that order.

Not botany.

I can do Zoology, Functional Biology, Geography or Environmental Sciences. That's probably my order of preference, doubt I'd get near Zoology, dunno about Functional Biology. Geography is probably the most like result. Also it's happened again, the need or lack of to do JF Chemistry to do physiology has changed since last time I checked. :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭celtic723

Jammyc wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure Physiology is still my #1, though Biochemistry in some form seems somewhat appealing so maybe molecular med. Is there a list anywhere of minima of overall grades of people getting each moderatorship?

I'd like to know this too?

Any JS Micro students on here?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 321 ✭✭fishtastico

celtic723 wrote: »
    I'd like to know this too?

Any JS Micro students on here?

I graduated from Micro last year, and I don't think there's a list, but the popularity of courses changes from year to year. I think I got a II.2 or lower in SF, but I was one of about three people that had Micro as a first choice. As far as I know it's more popular these days

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Little Grey Cells

How many biology modules are you allowed to take in second year?

How many biology modules are you allowed to take in second year?
    AFAIK, you can take a max of 40 credits in SF year, so 8! There are 4 to choose from in the first semester and 6 in the second. What I (and most, I think) did was all 4 in the first semester and Chemistry(some did Geology or maths or whatever) and 4 in the second semester. There are specific requirements though for each course, so be wary when picking!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Carl Sagan

Why are things like Genetics and Physiology so popular? I've heard from a few people in JS that they're pretty horrible subjects.

Carl Sagan wrote: »
    Why are things like Genetics and Physiology so popular? I've heard from a few people in JS that they're pretty horrible subjects.
    Thats unpopular opinion I guess?

Thats unpopular opinion I guess?

Suppose so. Genetics in particular was just made out to be an awful subject.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 931 ✭✭✭banjopaul

What was said exactly?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Craguls

banjopaul wrote: »
    What was said exactly?

In general molecular genetics gets a harsh review, generally because it's a touch more tedious than the other aspects as it's a touch biochemy. <3 I fail to understand why though, it seems the most interesting and forms the basis for the majority of.. well doing stuff with genomes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Little Grey Cells

AFAIK, you can take a max of 40 credits in SF year, so 8! There are 4 to choose from in the first semester and 6 in the second. What I (and most, I think) did was all 4 in the first semester and Chemistry(some did Geology or maths or whatever) and 4 in the second semester. There are specific requirements though for each course, so be wary when picking!

Thanks! That's a relief, I was hoping I wouldn't have to do anything outside of biology and chemistry:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 maryd83

Loads and loads of JS micro students have said "don't do micro" anyone wanna say why that is?? Suggest rather? I heard the human immunological stsyem's not really a big part of it in JS or SS. Is that true anyone???

Well, Ronnie Russel told me in a lab that JS recently had to do something on microbiology in food and found it very difficult to eat for a while!

Check tcd.ie/microbiology for module info and last years handbook has info of all modules you cover in sophister years.

maryd83 wrote: »
    Loads and loads of JS micro students have said "don't do micro" anyone wanna say why that is?? Suggest rather? I heard the human immunological stsyem's not really a big part of it in JS or SS. Is that true anyone???

If you're interested in the human immune system, you should stick to Immunology. I found Micro to be great, and it gives you a pretty wide range of study areas with a decent amount of choice (In SS anyway).

I'd say the only reason people would say not to do it is that it can be tougher than the other mol bio subjects, especially in JS. This is mainly because it doesn't sacrifice depth for its wide scope, so there's a lot of learning.

That said, IMHO it gives you a great range of skills (people from my class have gone to do medicine, work in data management, analytical labs or stayed in research), and even the ones that are doing PhDs in cancer genetics benefit from learning aseptic technique (that really needs to be drilled into people in JS and SS). Also, most companies need QA people, and that's a Micro job, so you'll always have something useful.

• Advertisement

Anyone know where the mock MCQ's are for Genetics, or if there even is any?

Trying to get some study done for this now, but i don't really know what to expect. :(

Anyone know where the mock MCQ's are for Genetics, or if there even is any?

Trying to get some study done for this now, but i don't really know what to expect. :(
    I don't think there are any about. Have been looking myself. Any JSs have any recollection of what it was like?

What's the story with the write-up thing for collective behaviour? Don't remember being told anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 limegreen

Hello everyone, sorry for completley butting into this conversation. I'm in second year science Trinity too. Just came across this boards thing today, had no idea it was on here!
    Hoping to do immunology next year. It's making me quite anxious to see a good few others have chosen it too! Have any of you applied for an Erasmus next year, or know of anybody that has?

Oh don't worry, I haven't heard anyone say they want Immunology yet. Main two I've heard are Physio and Zoology. I'm so worried about just not dropping out that I haven't even sorted out what I want yet.

And about the collective behaviour thing, it's all on webCT. Go into assessments I think. The task is in Word format and tell you to do stuff. Do that first, then do the quiz afterwards, which is also in the assessments section. Make sure you do the task first because you can't answer the quiz without it and you can only go into the quiz once. I haven't done it yet though!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭Blerdiii

just want to be on safe side! for jf geeology it is only earth science that do the essay right? and we do the exam :P

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Aoiferz

Blerdiii wrote: »
    just want to be on safe side! for jf geeology it is only earth science that do the essay right? and we do the exam :P

Yeah, Broad cirriculumers do the essay, we get the exam. I think :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭Scrappychimow

Earth science isn't broad curriculum ....

Earth science isn't broad curriculum ....

Misread the post above me, sorry. :o Not sure about Earth Science but I'm fairly sure you only do the essay if you're doing broad curriculum.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Dubs

Yep asked him earlier. No reading week geology essay for jf science :D

Anybody done the Geology assignment 4 and 5? I'm really confused as to what we have to write for number 4. Do we have to make a flow chart?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 479 ✭✭Fo Real

To the JF science students: How are you all getting on in your Optional Evening Language classes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Charlie Sheen

Is this the equation for organic experiment 6?
    C6H5COOCH3 + HNO3 + H2SO4 --> C6H4COOCH3nO2 + H2SO4?

can't be though?

I'm on my phone and just tried it in my head :pac: but I don't think that's right

SF Microbiology MCQ.....

Where to start. The amount of reading to do for this is insane. It's also negative marking which is absolutely sh1t.

Can any JS students who done this last year give any tips as to what is important to cover?

• Advertisement

SF Microbiology MCQ.....

Where to start. The amount of reading to do for this is insane. It's also negative marking which is absolutely sh1t.

Can any JS students who done this last year give any tips as to what is important to cover?

If you paid attention during the pre-practical talks and took note of what you were doing/demonstrations/read the lab book then you should be fine

I had figured I start studying for it today, and then got a fright yesterday when everyone else in my chem BC team were like "you'll never learn it all by then", then they started talking about us having to recognise everything in the gallery on the Micro website. Pffft. I've never even been on the website!!:eek:

Anyhoo I'll read through the lab manual and just rely on my unsurpassed exam luck tomorrow. I do feel a lot better that you say it's just what actually happened in labs. Good luck everyone!

Anyone have a clue if there's a BY2206 lab on today? Portal says yes, lab book says no. Given that I get another 3 hours in bed if it's not on I think I'm staying put.

The biology department's organizational skills triumph again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Lawliet

For the biology essay how strict are they about plagiarism? I just checked turnitin.com and got 26% for plagiarism but, 10% of it was from student papers in the US that I couldn't possibly have seen, and the rest of the plagiarism is from my references! Will I be automatically docked marks or do they give a bit of leeway?

Anyone have a clue if there's a BY2206 lab on today? Portal says yes, lab book says no. Given that I get another 3 hours in bed if it's not on I think I'm staying put.

The biology department's organizational skills triumph again.

I'm guessing and hoping there wasn't. :P Think there's just the one actual lab for that subject in a few weeks.

Lawliet wrote: »
    For the biology essay how strict are they about plagiarism? I just checked turnitin.com and got 26% for plagiarism but, 10% of it was from student papers in the US that I couldn't possibly have seen, and the rest of the plagiarism is from my references! Will I be automatically docked marks or do they give a bit of leeway?

From what I hear 26% is pretty low, wouldn't worry about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Holysock

There's a chart in the Lab manual about the points deducted for plagiarism. It says 10 marks lost for 21-30 %.

Holysock wrote: »
    There's a chart in the Lab manual about the points deducted for plagiarism. It says 10 marks lost for 21-30 %.
    I know that. I'm just wondering if they automatically deduct the marks, or if they look through the paper and to see where plagiarism is coming from

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭DancingQueen:)

How did you check? Is it just the number that's given under originality?

• Advertisement

How did you check? Is it just the number that's given under originality?
    If you click on the percentage it should bring you to the paper, it'll have all the plagiarised sections highlighted, and give you an over view of where everything came from at the side

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Holysock

I know that. I'm just wondering if they automatically deduct the marks, or if they look through the paper and to see where plagiarism is coming from

I was wondering that too. Mine has marked some possible plagarism and they are really common turns of phrase, like "Due to the fact that"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Craguls

You'll be fine. I reckon they only use the system in the first place so people don't blatantly copy the whole thing from another source. There was someone with a score of 70% last year....

(3% plagerism score in my day mind you and a final mark of 78%:cool:)

If you click on the percentage it should bring you to the paper, it'll have all the plagiarised sections highlighted

My percentage is really low, seems strange because I have so many references in it.
    For a split second I thought the originality mark with the amount of work that was actually original and because it was only five percent my heart sank :eek:

Craguls wrote: »
    You'll be fine. I reckon they only use the system in the first place so people don't blatantly copy the whole thing from another source. There was someone with a score of 70% last year....
    I'm probably getting worked up over nothing; I just really don't want to lose marks when I genuinely didn't copy anything :o
    (3% plagerism score in my day mind you:cool:)
    Hax!

Yeah your best bet is to just talk like yoda.

And no, unless you had an unbelievable amount of plagiarism to the point that you were going to get in trouble I doubt they'd look to see what it was.

• Advertisement

73770652.jpg

http://img843.imageshack.us/i/73770652.jpg/ If the photo doesn't work.

Only 1% for something ridiculous :cool:

One percent of mine was from a link and the word 'of', that's pretty crazy :pac:

Carl Sagan wrote: »
    73770652.jpg

http://img843.imageshack.us/i/73770652.jpg/ If the photo doesn't work.

Only 1% for something ridiculous :cool:
    You did the same thing as me! I racked up 5% for calling the Venus flytrap by its full name a few times

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭Scoobydooo

Ye not sure how they're gonna work this, I had about 24% plagiarism but it was all made up of 1%'s from papers submitted to a load of random colleges, it's pretty harsh if we lose marks over something we obviously didn't plagiarise

• Registered Users Posts: 22 SharpBerry

MCQ's; Chemistry, err what? What're they on? Experiments? Or just the whole course? Anyone have any idea as to how I could get myself some past papers? Older years in Med seem to have passed them down since they're not available online... :o

• Advertisement
Advertisement