Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Science TR071

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8 jessychan!

Do the chemistry tutorials count towards our end of year mark or are they similar to the biology tutorials...and is there an MCQ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭celtic723

SF Chem exp Molecular modelling 1...

What's the formula for working out the stabilisation energy?

I can remember something like 2 (homo ethene) - (homo-1 butadiene)(homo butadiene)

Can anyone clarify?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭u60gypx5jakoti

How long should a typical answer be to the essay style questions in Biology and Chemistry in Junior Freshman year? 1 page, 1000 words, 5 pages etc? Include diagrams?
    Should we only answer specifically the question asked, and strictly in technical language?
    Or should it be more elaborate, with some humour, witty sentences, anecdotes, and some brief history, like a journalists article in a science magazine or science supplement for example?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 321 ✭✭fishtastico

Just bear in mind that the people marking your exams will want to get the answer as quickly and clearly as possible, as lecturers HATE marking exams. I'd advise against anecdotes, unless you want to tell the story of how you discovered a cheap alternative to SYBR Green

I usually try to write in a style similar to my lecturer. What one lecturer might like another might hate. Stuff like biochemistry I try to be as short and sweet as possible, put up one, maybe two clear diagrams that summarise clearly without complicating things. Whereas in evolution the lecturer uses more descriptive language and gets really excited about stuff so I'd use slightly more casual language and pretend to get excited about stuff. It's only subtle though, and anyway, I got a II.I in my JF exams so I don't know if it worked or not...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Jammyc

Is Immunology on this afternoon? It says on portal that its not this week.

Anyone doing BY2206 got the write up of the third lab done?
    I've been stuck on that degrees question for a few days now, the only explanation I can see is that we're meant to know the volume of water in the eureka can at the start, which I don't have. I can throw down an estimation based on not very sound calculations, but if anyone's got it figured I'd appreciate a clue!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 162 ✭✭NeuroCat

Anyone doing BY2206 got the write up of the third lab done?

Umm we didn't have any lab reports for Microbiology.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

NeuroCat wrote: »
    Umm we didn't have any lab reports for Microbiology.

That's 2205.

I haven't put together the write-ups for 2206 yet. Dunno if I should do the one I was in for or not.

Was that the third one? Twas an absolute joke! I think I'm gonna give up trying to do this properly and just waffle my way through the rest of it. I still haven't gotten a chance to study because I've been wrapped up in writing this stuff up (and going to the pub...).

• Advertisement

Was that the third one? Twas an absolute joke! I think I'm gonna give up trying to do this properly and just waffle my way through the rest of it. I still haven't gotten a chance to study because I've been wrapped up in writing this stuff up (and going to the pub...).

The one to Bull Island.

Well they didn't take attendance, and I'm having to do most of it on the internet anyway...

Well they didn't take attendance, and I'm having to do most of it on the internet anyway...

I was sick and provided documentation though :P

That's 2205.

Ooops where is my head at. I don't do 2206 lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭Scoobydooo

Just a quick question regarding exams, do you actually need to pass the written paper to pass the module or is it a combined mark from labs, tutorials etc

Example: 20% in labs and 25% in written exam, do I pass?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Carl Sagan

Scoobydooo wrote: »
    Just a quick question regarding exams, do you actually need to pass the written paper to pass the module or is it a combined mark from labs, tutorials etc

Example: 20% in labs and 25% in written exam, do I pass?

According to someone on the facebook page, you would pass with 20% in labs and 25% in the written exam. Fantastic news :)

I'm not sure thats right.

If its Biology, the exam I think is worth 33%. Getting 25% in that would give you little over 8%, so add that to your 20%.

I think ye are confusing it with getting 25% of 33% in the exam which would require you to get 75% in the exam.

If the lab is worth 20% and you get 100% of that then yes 25% in the exams will get you a pass.

It saddens me to see people struggle with weighted numbers.

Cell Structure & Function first... hmmm

We had five lecturers for this ye?

And there's 5 questions. I assume that each lecturer gets a question and if that's the case i think i'll study just the 2.

There's far too much reading for some lecturers and almost none for others.

What's everyone else going to do?

• Advertisement

celtic723 wrote: »
    Cell Structure & Function first... hmmm

We had five lecturers for this ye?

And there's 5 questions. I assume that each lecturer gets a question and if that's the case i think i'll study just the 2.

There's far too much reading for some lecturers and almost none for others.

What's everyone else going to do?

I assume the paper is the same as last year yeah? I'll just do two topics and one other to cover myself. Still haven't started any revising yet but I'll be fine. :pac:

Enzyme Kinetics- Competitive Inhibtion.
    Cell signalling is handy.

How do you go about studying Evolution? It just seems to be random information?

Jammyc wrote: »
    Enzyme Kinetics- Competitive Inhibtion.
    Cell signalling is handy.

How do you go about studying Evolution? It just seems to be random information?

Are you only going to cover those two ye?

I'm finished Enzyme Kinetics and i'm on to The Cytoskeleton stuff at the moment.

Evolution is a bit tricky to study i find anyway.

The way i'm going to work it is i'll review the lectures once more and get a feel for how the two lecturers formulated their set of lectures and approach it from that perspective.

I don't think you're supposed to name lecturers but i'm sure you'll know who i'm talking about when i say that one of them prefers your answer to be crisp to the point and contain examples that back it up. The other is more theory related and wants you to go into more depth about the genetic side and the likes.

amacachi wrote: »
    I assume the paper is the same as last year yeah? I'll just do two topics and one other to cover myself. Still haven't started any revising yet but I'll be fine. :pac:

Assume so ye.

I really don't have time to do that extra one. There's far too much i find anyway.

I'm sure you'll see when you get started. :(

Assume so ye.

I really don't have time to do that extra one. There's far too much i find anyway.

I'm sure you'll see when you get started. :(

Fair point, I really don't have a clue how much I have to do tbh. I'm lucky enough that I've a couple of subjects that I'm pretty sure I have good knowledge of already and just need to read some papers for examples and references and that so I should be able to focus on the biochem-y type of stuff that I have literally no idea about.

Are you only going to cover those two ye?

I'm finished Enzyme Kinetics and i'm on to The Cytoskeleton stuff at the moment.

Evolution is a bit tricky to study i find anyway.

The way i'm going to work it is i'll review the lectures once more and get a feel for how the two lecturers formulated their set of lectures and approach it from that perspective.

I don't think you're supposed to name lecturers but i'm sure you'll know who i'm talking about when i say that one of them prefers your answer to be crisp to the point and contain examples that back it up. The other is more theory related and wants you to go into more depth about the genetic side and the likes.
    Yeah, I get you.

Nah, well I'll cover those and have a fair whack at the stuff we covered at the beginning. Shouldn't be too bad.

What is everyone going for? I put Physiology as my number 1.

• Advertisement

Yeah, I get you.

Nah, well I'll cover those and have a fair whack at the stuff we covered at the beginning. Shouldn't be too bad.

Think I went Zoology, Physiology, Functional Biology, Environmental Science, Plant Sciences, Geography. Doubt I'll get near the top 3 I put down and shouldn't have put Environmental Science so high up.

Think I went Zoology, Physiology, Functional Biology, Environmental Science, Plant Sciences, Geography. Doubt I'll get near the top 3 I put down and shouldn't have put Environmental Science so high up.
    Cool. I wouldn't give up on it straight away. I was talking to a lecturer in physiology a while back and was told a higher II.2 had secured entry in previous years, that kind of relaxed me a bit.

Cool. I wouldn't give up on it straight away. I was talking to a lecturer in physiology a while back and was told a higher II.2 had secured entry in previous years, that kind of relaxed me a bit.

Find that very surprising I have to admit.

Find that very surprising I have to admit.
    So did I tbh. Seems do-able. Some papers will be ****e but others that go decently will pull up the grade I reckon. Also gotta discount from first round offers, anybody who has to sit resits, which I've heard was high in SF last year.

So did I tbh. Seems do-able. Some papers will be ****e but others that go decently will pull up the grade I reckon. Also gotta discount from first round offers, anybody who has to sit resits, which I've heard was high in SF last year.

That's something I was wondering, is it purely the average mark you get that counts for next year, or is it weighted depending on the credits per subject, and if you fail one subject does that basically mean your average doesn't count at all and are left with whatever spots are left after the repeats?

• Advertisement

That's something I was wondering, is it purely the average mark you get that counts for next year, or is it weighted depending on the credits per subject, and if you fail one subject does that basically mean your average doesn't count at all and are left with whatever spots are left after the repeats?
    Just checked the booklet there. It says that;

All students passing their summer examination will be ranked in merit order on the basis of their overall mark. Places will be allocated in rank order.
    Students failing the Annual Examinations must reapply for the remaining unfulfilled places until quotas are reached.
    In the event of two ore more students having equal overall averages seeking one place, the choice will be made in favour of the student gaining the higher mark in he SF module which best encompasses and includes the moderatorship discipline.

Looking at the SF exam regulations too and it seems you can compensate for up to ten credits as long as you got 35-39% in it.

Yeah, I get you.

Jaysus, fair play to ya going over the other stuff as well.

How is everyone fixed for the exams anyway? I've just started studying and am a bit skeptical about Metabolism among others.

I've pretty much resigned myself to the fact I'll be doing at least 4 supplemental exams, but since I put Plant Sciences as number 1 I'd say it'll be a case of me either failing so badly that I have to drop out, or I'll get my number one. Meant to start studying today but I found a millipede in my bedroom and on further inspection a whole load of spiders too, so the next few days will contain nothing other than a vacuum cleaner and a truck load of cleaning supplies. I'm sure I'll come through last minute with a mega cram session (hopefully!).

Also, I've never gotten my head around biochemistry, so BY2201 and BY2203 expectations are pretty woeful... I can understand, I just can't remember all the really similar names everything has. I think I'll choreograph an interpretive dance for each individual lecture slide and then come exams use my muscle memory to recall it all. There's room in the lecture theatre for that right?

I've pretty much resigned myself to the fact I'll be doing at least 4 supplemental exams, but since I put Plant Sciences as number 1 I'd say it'll be a case of me either failing so badly that I have to drop out, or I'll get my number one. Meant to start studying today but I found a millipede in my bedroom and on further inspection a whole load of spiders too, so the next few days will contain nothing other than a vacuum cleaner and a truck load of cleaning supplies. I'm sure I'll come through last minute with a mega cram session (hopefully!).[/qupote]
    I dunno, when I find a single insect I don't look for any more, I'd like to be able to go back into my room within a day. :pac:
    Also, I've never gotten my head around biochemistry, so BY2201 and BY2203 expectations are pretty woeful... I can understand, I just can't remember all the really similar names everything has. I think I'll choreograph an interpretive dance for each individual lecture slide and then come exams use my muscle memory to recall it all. There's room in the lecture theatre for that right?
    Same here, they're the ones I'm going to really work at though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Craguls

Me being my stupid little OCD-eque self has been studying for the past month. :o

I have Cell Biology and Metabolism covered and put the finishing touches to Microbiology today, I've heard from older years a lot of people messed those up last year so I've cut out very little; I'm only ignoring Neurochemistry and Genetic Switches in those three, oddly I've grown to love metabolism so I did everything there. I covered about 60% of Infection and Immunity too by reading around the MCQ. I have one of my chemistry modules covered too and started Physiology today.

As regards the form mine went; Immunology, Molecular Medicine, Neuroscience, Genetics, Microbiology, Cell Bio, Structural Biochem and Chemistry.

Re: Evolution I was going to study it like the second biology module last year but try work in behavior material as well if possible just to link things up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Charlie Sheen

If the lab is worth 20% and you get 100% of that then yes 25% in the exams will get you a pass.

It saddens me to see people struggle with weighted numbers.

I think the problem was people not being sure whether or not you had to pass the exam (get over 40% in the exam) or just get 40% overall.

Good luck everyone anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭GlasnevinRed

Will be seeing some of you 2nd years next year no doubt having deferred from 3rd year Chemistry at christmas.

Good luck in the exams!

You guys going mad on the extra reading or are you going with the lectures we've been given?

I've been going with the lectures we've been given. Only some lecturers are looking for extra reading, others just want you to show the info.

Q. - Didn't organic synthesis lecturer from first semester chemistry say he would give a tutorial before exams? I don't see his name down on the list for Tuesday. Just wanted to check before I asked someone about it!

Also, going through Metabolism painfully slow, is there something I'm missing or is learning these cycles and pathways as time consuming for everyone?

In the JF exams, would studying lecture material be enough? I'm pretty much only gonna get to do that for both biology papers unfortunately.

• Advertisement

Carl Sagan wrote: »
    In the JF exams, would studying lecture material be enough? I'm pretty much only gonna get to do that for both biology papers unfortunately.

I did basically nothing and passed (in the repeats) so I would imagine knowing the lectures well would get you through no problem.

I did basically nothing and passed (in the repeats) so I would imagine knowing the lectures well would get you through no problem.

:pac: Excellent.

How many did you have to repeat?

Carl Sagan wrote: »
    :pac: Excellent.

How many did you have to repeat?

The two Biologies and one maths. I passed the maths repeat with 61% after about 5 hours of work. Biology I think in total all the times I attempted to start studying might have added up to about half an hour.

That being said, if you understand most of whats happening in biology in JF, you wont have to learn it all then in SF, as I'm finding out. :(

I've been going with the lectures we've been given. Only some lecturers are looking for extra reading, others just want you to show the info.

Q. - Didn't organic synthesis lecturer from first semester chemistry say he would give a tutorial before exams? I don't see his name down on the list for Tuesday. Just wanted to check before I asked someone about it!

Also, going through Metabolism painfully slow, is there something I'm missing or is learning these cycles and pathways as time consuming for everyone?

Maybe since he shared the org chem with Scanlan, they're not bothering to give us tuts from both of them.

As for metabolism, I find it so hard that I've not actually touched it yet. Not going to bother with any extra reading, though I have read Curious Naturalists for behaviour.

That being said, if you understand most of whats happening in biology in JF, you wont have to learn it all then in SF, as I'm finding out. :(

I'll be studying chemistry over the summer (for fun), so hopefully I'll do some biology too and that won't happen. :P

I have Cell Biology and Metabolism covered and put the finishing touches to Microbiology today, I've heard from older years a lot of people messed those up last year so I've cut out very little

Yeah I heard microbiology was a tough one last year. I'm just in the process of learning off the enzyme equations for cell biology then I'm finished with that. I'm stuggling with metabolism but I'm hoping it will click soon *fingers crossed*. Geology will probs be the area I trip up in, hopefully my grades from the continuous assesments will hold to me lol.

Btw, anyone with a smart phone can download a great app called Glycolysis Quizzilator, it's very good for some short definitions, and has a scrollable map of the glycolysis pathway.

There is a Grays Anatomy application aswell, could be useful for BY2202 but I haven't tested it out yet. Planning to have a look see what other biochemistry apps there are though! Lemme know if anyone has found any good ones :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 255 ✭✭JC06

Anyone know what date the exam results are out this year?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 931 ✭✭✭banjopaul

For SF Science at least, its June 17th for results, July 15th for moderatorship offers.

• Advertisement

banjopaul wrote: »
    For SF Science at least, its June 17th for results, July 15th for moderatorship offers.

May as well fail one then if I'll have to wait that long. :pac:

Advertisement