Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Science TR071

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

celtic723 wrote: »
    I'll give it a bash but i ain't promising anything! If i find it i'll post it up.

No problem. :) Would just be nice to have some clue of where to go on my first day. :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭celtic723

amacachi wrote: »
    No problem. :) Would just be nice to have some clue of where to go on my first day. :pac:

What subjects are you doing? Cause they mightn't be the same as mine!

Biology, Geography and Maths Methods.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Heggy

Um, here's the general science handbook if you really can't get to it. Timetable's on page 28 I think.
    Click Here
    Hope that link works :)

Biology, Geography and Maths Methods.

dunno how useful this is but here's mine. I do Biology and Maths Methods so i presume it's similar and chemistry on mine is substituted by Geography on yours?

r7536b.jpg

Sound, seems to be the same as in the handbook, I just thought that the timetable would be changed a load before classes begin, looks like they're not though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 MrEcs

Could someone please post the fresher timetable for TR071 (science) up here. Never got that yellow booklet thingy and I would really appreciate a copy of it. Im doing biology, chemistry and maths methods btw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Jammyc

MrEcs wrote: »
    Could someone please post the fresher timetable for TR071 (science) up here. Never got that yellow booklet thingy and I would really appreciate a copy of it. Im doing biology, chemistry and maths methods btw.
    this was posted in the other thread 'science TR071'

Thanks thats great but youve no timetable that gives labs by any chance?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 931 ✭✭✭banjopaul

MrEcs wrote: »
    Thanks thats great but youve no timetable that gives labs by any chance?

Labs haven't been assigned yet but here's the timetable from the yellow book that shows all the possible labs as well as the lectures.
    attachment.php?attachmentid=91903&d=1253974885

• Advertisement

Thanks very much. think thats all I needed...

I had assumed that GOLDHALL was short for goldsmith hall, but it says on that timetable it's in the East End. I was under the impression that the East End was where the science course office was, no???

Either way could someone tell me where it is I'm meant to be on monday, as GOLDHALL is all it says in the timetable...

Would be much appreciated :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 889 ✭✭✭Bajingo

I had assumed that GOLDHALL was short for goldsmith hall, but it says on that timetable it's in the East End. I was under the impression that the East End was where the science course office was, no???

Either way could someone tell me where it is I'm meant to be on monday, as GOLDHALL is all it says in the timetable...

Would be much appreciated :)

Its Goldsmith hall..they're the same goldsmith hall(goldhall) is to the east of the the campus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭Sugarglass

Hey, I'm starting the course on Monday and I can't remember if we're supposed to show up at nine or ten. I know the first class I have is at 10 (Biology) but I remember the guy at the course meeting saying something about a meeting first thing, is this just in the first lecture or is it earlier. Thanks for any help.

Yeah he did say something about a meeting, but I have it written down as being 10 at goldsmith hall, so it must just be the first lecture. Or maybe its that he's using the first lecture as a chance to do an introduction (things we need to buy, regulations, and such) for the course.

Or he likes confusing people.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭cf_al_bs

Sugarglass wrote: »
    Hey, I'm starting the course on Monday and I can't remember if we're supposed to show up at nine or ten. I know the first class I have is at 10 (Biology) but I remember the guy at the course meeting saying something about a meeting first thing, is this just in the first lecture or is it earlier. Thanks for any help.

From what I gather it's the same as last year. That's Geography at 9 in Joly and Biology at 10 in Goldhall.

Quick question for SF Science ppl: Do we have labs this week? Or is it the same as JF and start in the second week? Thanks!

So, is it this week that we find out when our labs/tutorials are? And are they automatically put on the SIS?

Also for future reference, where do we go to get lecture notes online, if theyre there?

Jammyc wrote: »
    So, is it this week that we find out when our labs/tutorials are? And are they automatically put on the SIS?

Also for future reference, where do we go to get lecture notes online, if theyre there?

Yep, labs and tuts will appear on the Portal this week.

Lecture notes you get from a few places depending on the subject and lecturer. They'll let you know at the start of their module where they can be found.

How many hours of Biology labs have we to do?

• Advertisement

Do we have labs and tutorials the first week :confused: ? I read somewhere that they don't start till next week and this week everything is organised.

How many hours of Biology labs have we to do?

In JF you do one 3 hour session. Normally you're out after 2 hours.
    Do we have labs and tutorials the first week :confused: ? I read somewhere that they don't start till next week and this week everything is organised.
    No labs or tuts in first wk of JF. But the times you have them at for the rest of the semester appear in the Portal this wk.

cf_al_bs wrote: »
    In JF you do one 3 hour session. Normally you're out after 2 hours.
    Guessing we're told which of the 3-hour sessions we have to go to?

Guessing we're told which of the 3-hour sessions we have to go to?

yep. I think all (or maybe none) of the labs are on your Portal timetable at the mo. When there is just one that's the one to go to! :)

yep. I think all (or maybe none) of the labs are on your Portal timetable at the mo. When there is just one that's the one to go to! :)

Can't, haven't registered yet thanks to TCD not expecting so many people to turn up to register depite having a list of who would be.:rolleyes:

Please God let me get the Thursday Lab and have Fridays off.

Can't, haven't registered yet thanks to TCD not expecting so many people to turn up to register depite having a list of who would be.:rolleyes:

Please God let me get the Thursday Lab and have Fridays off.

That's ridiculous that they turned you guys away when they clearly know how many people to expect.
    So I'm guessing TCD admin will continue to live up to their reputation!

• Advertisement

That's ridiculous that they turned you guys away when they clearly know how many people to expect.
    So I'm guessing TCD admin will continue to live up to their reputation!

We were also told "come back next week and mention you were here today and you won't have to queue." Pity about how many people will be turning up tomorrow morning, with no queues I'm bringing a crossbow since the only other way I can see to decide the order is by getting us to duel.

We were also told "come back next week and mention you were here today and you won't have to queue." Pity about how many people will be turning up tomorrow morning, with no queues I'm bringing a crossbow since the only other way I can see to decide the order is by getting us to duel.

Good luck with the whole not having to queue! Can't see that happening myself tbh. This week all non-JF students are re-registering.

Good luck with the whole not having to queue! Can't see that happening myself tbh. This week all non-JF students are re-registering.

I thought SF were registering on october 5th..thats next week..

Anyway for SF labs im guessing we have them from the get go because we already have are times given to us..could be wrong but ill be bringing my lab coat in anyway.

Is there any difference in quality or range between the lab coats at the SU and the lab coats you can get in other stores (e.g. Clarendon Medical). Just wondering before I buy it. I'm quite small and just want to know which is more likely to have a coat that will fit well.

On that note I'm very fat, where would I find a very big labcoat?

• Advertisement

Bajingo wrote: »
    I thought SF were registering on october 5th..thats next week..

Anyway for SF labs im guessing we have them from the get go because we already have are times given to us..could be wrong but ill be bringing my lab coat in anyway.

Afaik it's the next two weeks that all returning students are registering. SF Science is on Oct 5th, practically last. Yay! :D

Yeah I've a bad feeling that labs are on tomorrow! :( I hope they are just as fun but more interesting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

Is there any difference in quality or range between the lab coats at the SU and the lab coats you can get in other stores (e.g. Clarendon Medical). Just wondering before I buy it. I'm quite small and just want to know which is more likely to have a coat that will fit well.
    On that note I'm very fat, where would I find a very big labcoat?

I could have sworn I seen a XS and a XL in Clarendon Medical.

creggy wrote: »
    I could have sworn I seen a XS and a XL in Clarendon Medical.

I take XXXL:(

I take XXXL:(

Not in a labcoat you won't. I'd say a XL would be perfect but who am i to know!

celtic723 wrote: »
    Not in a labcoat you won't. I'd say a XL would be perfect but who am i to know!

Fingers crossed

Ok, those of us in bio tomorrow at 10 lets play a game. Lets make a keyword, and you have to cough and say it out loud, so we can spot the boardsie. Ill also be wearing a red hoodie!

Suggestions for keyword anyone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Craguls

Ok, those of us in bio tomorrow at 10 lets play a game. Lets make a keyword, and you have to cough and say it out loud, so we can spot the boardsie. Ill also be wearing a red hoodie!

B******s

On a more serious note, it'll be hard to carry out given there's supposed to be 400 or so of us in there

How about sangfroid?

First bio..aww man you'll prob get a talk from rochford and then get a bit of a lecture of Luke O'Neill..possibly the coolest lecturer of all time..plus he's a millionaire apparently! I miss first year :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

First bio..aww man you'll prob get a talk from rochford and then get a bit of a lecture of Luke O'Neill..possibly the coolest lecturer of all time..plus he's a millionaire apparently! I miss first year :(

I did my work experience with him :)

He's probably not a millionaire though :(

There's fúck all money to be made in Science!

• Advertisement

Craguls wrote: »
    B******s

On a more serious note, it'll be hard to carry out given there's supposed to be 400 or so of us in there
    All the more fun!
    How about sangfroid?
    Hmm. Pronounce it? Use it in a sentence?
    Ooh! Now I cant wait!!:D

Nah, was just a reference to That Mitchell and Webb look, seems I'm alone on that. :pac:

Sorry, went completely over my head.

Purple monkey dishwasher it is. I expect to hear it.

Fad wrote: »
    I did my work experience with him :)

He's probably not a millionaire though :(

There's fúck all money to be made in Science!

No way thats so cool..rumour had it that he made some break-through in arthritis and that he's a millionaire..ah well he's still a ledge..

If only there was a Science TR071 thread back in my day:(

Oh and good luck everyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Craguls

I didn't hear it :( Lots of coughing though towards the middle of the room!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Futurism

How was everyones day?

I enjoyed it quite a lot! Had a two hour break though with nothing to do which was quite annoying. Anyone else notice that people weren't really talking to anyone other than their friends?

Geography felt a bit undirected or something. I already knew most of what he said, but it seemed to be missing in any structure, making it hard to follow. Everyone was taking notes too - I didn't really see the need to for most of it :confused:
    I liked the physics lecturer. I felt out of place though - I was probably the only one there that didn't do physics before.

I was constantly on the look out for boardsies but I obviously failed, having no idea what any of you look like and didn't have anything to go on.

Futurism wrote: »
    How was everyones day?

I enjoyed it quite a lot! Had a two hour break though with nothing to do which was quite annoying. Anyone else notice that people weren't really talking to anyone other than their friends?

Geography felt a bit undirected or something. I already knew most of what he said, but it seemed to be missing in any structure, making it hard to follow. Everyone was taking notes too - I didn't really see the need to for most of it :confused:
    I liked the physics lecturer. I felt out of place though - I was probably the only one there that didn't do physics before.

I was constantly on the look out for boardsies but I obviously failed, having no idea what any of you look like and didn't have anything to go on.

Mine wasn't too bad, though had to get up at 6 and only home half a ****ing hour. ¬_¬

Geography is weird, he's obviously sticking to some plan, but what he says is like someone constantly going off on tangents.

I was at the back of every class (Bio, Geo, Maths Methods) and didn't talk to anyone in the course alas. Just too shy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 peanut.

Hey does anyone know if the SU shop sell dissection kits and safety glasses? And how much they cost?

Thanks, hope everyone enjoyed the first day!!

• Advertisement

I was near the front for maths methods, bio and both chems. Didnt really talk to nobody either.

Didnt spot any boardsies either, are ye goin on thursday??

Advertisement