Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Science TR071

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭celtic723

That was HORRIBLE!!!

To start the day off i was in at about 9 20 and was queuing for a locker. Made it to the top and was asked Hamilton or Arts building, totally caught unawares i said arts building and it wasn't until i was out of the grounds when i realised. Absolutely raging!

Secondly my water spilled in my bag turning my lovely sheets to nothing but mush! But oh no it didn't stop there!

Had a 4 hour gap in my timetable and that was the most painful 4 hours of my life. The first hour was grand as was the second but then it just became a farse as i paraded up and down Grafton Street numerous times.

.....Then the lectures were dreadful for me anyway. Sitting at the front for everything with those around me engaging in conversation while i just sat there looking like i was doing something constructive but alas i was unsuccessful. Guess i'm just too shy.

OH and to top it all off i'm only in the door about a half an hour. I can't wait for tomorrow!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Jammyc

celtic723 wrote: »
    That was HORRIBLE!!!

To start the day off i was in at about 9 20 and was queuing for a locker. Made it to the top and was asked Hamilton or Arts building, totally caught unawares i said arts building and it wasn't until i was out of the grounds when i realised. Absolutely raging!

Secondly my water spilled in my bag turning my lovely sheets to nothing but mush! But oh no it didn't stop there!

Had a 4 hour gap in my timetable and that was the most painful 4 hours of my life. The first hour was grand as was the second but then it just became a farse as i paraded up and down Grafton Street numerous times.

.....Then the lectures were dreadful for me anyway. Sitting at the front for everything with those around me engaging in conversation while i just sat there looking like i was doing something constructive but alas i was unsuccessful. Guess i'm just too shy.

OH and to top it all off i'm only in the door about a half an hour. I can't wait for tomorrow!!!
    Ahh shih! Sorry to hear that!
    Where in the front were you sitting? Dont worry I was doing the exact same tbh, didnt talk to anyone when there were people all around me. Ill make an effort tomorrow.
    You should have come down to a computer lab for a while. There wasnt people waiting around to get on them, so meant you could arse around on em for a while.

Jammyc wrote: »
    Ahh shih! Sorry to hear that!
    Where in the front were you sitting? Dont worry I was doing the exact same tbh, didnt talk to anyone when there were people all around me. Ill make an effort tomorrow.
    You should have come down to a computer lab for a while. There wasnt people waiting around to get on them, so meant you could arse around on em for a while.

No worries i was sorry it happened too!

I was sitting three rows from the front at the very edge bang on centre. Had a white hoodie on with grey boxes on it, i'm sure you saw me.

Might do that next week cause my free time tomorrow isn't as long meaning i won't have that much hanging around doing fook all!

Anyone online that could possibly scan and post up the timetable for someone doing Chemistry 1&2 Biology 1&2 Maths MEthods and Foundation Physics. As my sheet got wet i can't see what lectures i have and when.

celtic723 wrote: »
    No worries i was sorry it happened too!

I was sitting three rows from the front at the very edge bang on centre. Had a white hoodie on with grey boxes on it, i'm sure you saw me.

Might do that next week cause my free time tomorrow isn't as long meaning i won't have that much hanging around doing fook all!

Anyone online that could possibly scan and post up the timetable for someone doing Chemistry 1&2 Biology 1&2 Maths MEthods and Foundation Physics. As my sheet got wet i can't see what lectures i have and when.
    There ya go. Only changes are that MM is on in Goldsmith on mondays and in McNeil instead of when its in Joly.

There ya go. Only changes are that MM is on in Goldsmith on mondays and in McNeil instead of when its in Joly.

Cheers mate you're a lifesaver honestly!

Hopefully that site is fixed so i can download my personal timetable AGAIN.

• Advertisement

any chance someone could post up the mentor groups sheet?:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Bed now I think, maybe I'll get in tomorrow almost awake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭vladglenin

God today was boring.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Craguls

Any idea if we can swap around Chemistry tutorials?

I'm currently in from 10-5 without any kind of break on a Wednesday and could probably use the hour at lunchtime

Craguls wrote: »

I'm currently in from 10-5 without any kind of break on a Wednesday and could probably use the hour at lunchtime

When did they sort out the tutorials? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭Sugarglass

Chemistry tutorials are the only ones that have been organised. They were just worked out by the department and posted on your online timetable. The other subjects haven't got around to it yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭GlasnevinRed

I know for me last year I didn't go to the one assigned to me. Just talk to Noelle Scully (email should be on chemistry site) and explain the situation and she'll be more than happy to help you.

Attendance was rarely taken last year and when it was I just signed my name on the bottom. They only make the splits to encourage you to attend one so not everyone goes to the same one so you'll be grand.

To anyone doing JF Physics through Science; When was the maths test supposed to be on? I have the strangest feeling that it was today and I completely forgot about it...

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Heggy

There was a maths test today in the Physics Lab . .

Heggy wrote: »
    There was a maths test today in the Physics Lab . .
    Damn I somehow had it in my head that there were no labs this week. Noice way to start the year, missing out on my first lab!

Was regretting doing full maths all week then had one of those EUREKA moments and everything clicked!

Awwwww yeah!:cool:

So how's everyone been getting on so far?

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Heggy

Maths tutorial times are up. Friday 11 and Wednesday at 1. Don't start till next week though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Futurism

Missed maths today. :(

Anyone want to scan me their notes :P

Futurism wrote: »
    Missed maths today. :(

Anyone want to scan me their notes :P

We actually didn't cover much more to be honest. Attendance was quite low since most people didn't come in as it was their only lecture.

He just clarified a bit on the last lecture and re explained number notation {X€R} etc

And how it was possible to combine old functions to make new ones; so say one function (f(x)) represented time the other function (g(x)) could represent an occurrence within that time by writing it as (f(g(x)) Otherwise known as FoG.

However he emphasised you can't do the opposite and represent f(x) within g(x) and expect the same result as f(g(x)) does not equal g(f(x))
    So in other words FoG Doesn't equal GoF

I think........

• Registered Users Posts: 9 MrEcs

Maths methods tutorial times are up.
    Monday at 9am or thursday at 5pm.
    Could someone please post a link up so I can find out which one im going to be doing. I was told about an online timetable but I cant find a link to it. any help would be great.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 931 ✭✭✭banjopaul

MrEcs wrote: »
    Maths methods tutorial times are up.
    Monday at 9am or thursday at 5pm.
    Could someone please post a link up so I can find out which one im going to be doing. I was told about an online timetable but I cant find a link to it. any help would be great.

Your personalised timetable is available through the TCD Portal, in the student information system section. In maths methods you'll have two tutorials and a computer lab as well as your lectures each week. I have both tutorials and the lab on monday...no fair!

• Registered Users Posts: 9 MrEcs

Thanks...i was wonderin what the labs were about...It all makes sense now!!!

MrEcs wrote: »
    Thanks...i was wonderin what the labs were about...It all makes sense now!!!

The labs are easy for anybody who has any sort of experience with MS word and excel, and if you don't it's still quite easy. There's very little in the labs that actually involves maths.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 221 ✭✭GirlatdRockShow

what are the math methods lab times?
    Are the bio tutorial times up?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 lipstickvoodoo

my maths method lab is on tuesday at 3...dunno if thers other ones

i dont think bio ones have been posted yet

Can those in other years tell me if I can appeal to change the time of a tutorial/lab? My maths lab conflicts with the time of my optional language class and I'd rather not have to give up the class. and my tutorial time is just generally a pain in the ass. Thursdays 9-10, 1-2, 5-6. The tutorial is at 5-6, such a pain in the hole to wait around.

Can those in other years tell me if I can appeal to change the time of a tutorial/lab? My maths lab conflicts with the time of my optional language class and I'd rather not have to give up the class. and my tutorial time is just generally a pain in the ass. Thursdays 9-10, 1-2, 5-6. The tutorial is at 5-6, such a pain in the hole to wait around.

The clash in times shouldn't be a problem to change. Just go into the Science Course Office and ask them what to do.

Is the tutorial Biology?? I had the same timetable on a Thursday last year. Didn't bother changing it as I used it as my day to go to the gym and stuff. I'd imagine you wouldn't have a problem just moving into another tutorial if you just find out the times. Once again the Science Course office should be able to help you out in this regard.

My first maths methods tutorial is tomorrow at 9:00. Depending on which dart I get in I'll either have 5 mins or half an hour to find the venue.

Could someone tell me where LTEE2 is??? I know its in the East End but I've only ever seen biology labs around there. The timetable thingy says "SL LECTURE THEATRE (SCIENCE 1ST CALL) (A)", but that means nothing to me :(

Its no big deal but if I have to come in on the earlier dart to find it I'll be missing out on a precious 20 mins of curl-up-in-my-bed time.

ltEE2 is down the stairs just before the bio labs, it's either just on the left or else you turn right and go down the bit of a corridor

• Advertisement

One more question...
    Has anybody who signed up for the basic chem tutorials, actually been registered on them on the webct yet? And why is BY1102 there and not 1101?

You just register for them yourself. You go to the course list go to the chemistry deparment page and pick your course. It's CH1006 or something like that.

Sugarglass wrote: »
    You just register for them yourself. You go to the course list go to the chemistry deparment page and pick your course. It's CH1006 or something like that.
    Sorry, where do I click on the course list? The title 'course list' isn't a link and the chem thing isnt listed under it on my blackboard.

Step 1: Go to http://webct.tcd.ie
    There are 2 options. Log in or Course List. Click on Course list.

Step 2: Click on Departmental Courses Group.
    There will be a list of all the different courses.

Step 3: Scroll down until you find "School of Chemistry". Click it.

Step 4: Click on the little green arrow beside where it says "Chemistry" under the blue bar.

Step 5: Find CH1006. It's the first option on mine. This is the one that we use. None of the others are really relevant. On the same row as the CH1006 there is a picture of a little man with a green box with a plus sign in it. Click on this. You will be prompted to enter your username and password. Do so and the course should show up on your page.:)

Sugarglass wrote: »
    Step 1: Go to http://webct.tcd.ie
    There are 2 options. Log in or Course List. Click on Course list.

Step 2: Click on Departmental Courses Group.
    There will be a list of all the different courses.

Step 3: Scroll down until you find "School of Chemistry". Click it.

Step 4: Click on the little green arrow beside where it says "Chemistry" under the blue bar.

Step 5: Find CH1006. It's the first option on mine. This is the one that we use. None of the others are really relevant. On the same row as the CH1006 there is a picture of a little man with a green box with a plus sign in it. Click on this. You will be prompted to enter your username and password. Do so and the course should show up on your page.:)
    Ahh thank you very very much!:D

Again with the questions...

Where the hell is the INS building, got a tutorial in there tomorrow in LB11.
    Its just dandy how they tell you where everything is isnt it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 931 ✭✭✭banjopaul

Again with the questions...

Where the hell is the INS building, got a tutorial in there tomorrow in LB11.
    Its just dandy how they tell you where everything is isnt it?

INS building is the Lloyd building as far as i know, see ya at the tutorial.

I use this when i'm lost, more stuff is labelled than on other maps.
    http://isservices.tcd.ie/network/map.php

Have my first Biology Lab tomorrow, just wondering if someone could give some directions to where I could get a labcoat. And any clue if I'll need a dissection kit?

The SU shop by front arch stocks them. If they don't have your size Clarendon medical have some just off Grafton street.

I think you can rent one too if all else fails

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Borneo Fnctn

amacachi wrote: »
    Have my first Biology Lab tomorrow, just wondering if someone could give some directions to where I could get a labcoat. And any clue if I'll need a dissection kit?

They'll lend you a coat in the cloakroom if you leave your student card as a deposit.

Cool cool.

• Advertisement

Had my bio lab on friday, anyone remember when we have to hand that yellow form in???

I think it's just next lab, but the chem people said when we do the chem ones they've to be in the next monday, so I'm a bit iffy bout bio...

And by the by, anyone else shocked by the fact it's only a few weeks in and we already have to use our brains???!!

Had my bio lab on friday, anyone remember when we have to hand that yellow form in???

I think it's just next lab, but the chem people said when we do the chem ones they've to be in the next monday, so I'm a bit iffy bout bio...

And by the by, anyone else shocked by the fact it's only a few weeks in and we already have to use our brains???!!

Think it's next week for the yellow thing.

Dunno what subjects you're doing but I'm looking forward to doing something. :pac:

Yep.friday for the yellow form. Anyone find the abbreviated structure of gluthtatione or whatever it's called???Can't see it anywhere!!??

Anyone got the linky for the web assesment?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Futurism

I think I'm going to try change from physics to biology. I don't think I'll be able to keep both maths and physics up. :(

Futurism wrote: »
    I think I'm going to try change from physics to biology. I don't think I'll be able to keep both maths and physics up. :(

It is possible you just need Timoney and the physics departments consent. I switched out of maths into maths methods and geology the other day. You have to work out the maths methods tutorials yourself though

It is possible you just need Timoney and the physics departments consent. I switched out of maths into maths methods and geology the other day. You have to work out the maths methods tutorials yourself though

When was the other day?
    Gonna go in a few minutes and see if I can switch out of Maths Methods, just finding it mind numbing and totally screwing up my timetable with huge gaps, early starts and late finishes which I don't need with at least 90 minutes commuting each way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭Pet

In fairness, if you did HL Maths for the Leaving Cert, you don't exactly need to go to Maths Methods lectures. Ever. Look at the exam papers, you'll see what I mean...

Pet wrote: »
    In fairness, if you did HL Maths for the Leaving Cert, you don't exactly need to go to Maths Methods lectures. Ever. Look at the exam papers, you'll see what I mean...

Living with my parents and with my history they checked my timetable so I'm in whether I like it or not. :pac: I've copped now that Maths Methods is pointless going to lectures, I actually want to do something though, as alien a concept as that may be. :P

amacachi wrote: »
    Living with my parents and with my history they checked my timetable so I'm in whether I like it or not. :pac: I've copped now that Maths Methods is pointless going to lectures, I actually want to do something though, as alien a concept as that may be. :P

Other day was Friday but I was given the go ahead on Thursday evening.
    Had my first tutorials labs and lectures today, it suits me much better I wanted to pour the time into chemistry and biology so I'm happy.

Actually word of advice, I'd advise trying to look at tutorial sheets. The problem I had with maths is that while the concepts were abstract I could understand them if I tried hard enough. The tutorial questions on the other hand threw me.

People could tell you I came out of a lecture on Thursday morning after debating dropping for ages, delighted with myself that I finally got it only to blank the tutorial two hours later and go about dropping it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement