Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Military Funeral

Options
  • 13-08-2009 1:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭

As time is passing so are the remaining Veterans of the Great War,only lately Henry Allingham (Royal Naval Air Service) and Harry Patch (Duke of Cornwall Light Infantry) passed away.As far as I'm aware there are now only two veterans from all countries left living,one in America and one in Australia,my question is should the last veteran from any country be honoured with a military funeral or should they be honoured the same as all the others who have passed before them?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,331 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

The American one is entitled to a military funeral whether he's last or not. As long as you served honourably, you (or your family) can request that the Army show up. You don't have to have spent any particular length of time, in a war, or done anything special, just served.

NTM

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭arnhem44

What I mean is more on a grand scale as say a national funeral,should a veteran be treated any differently to any soldiers who have passed away before him just because he's the last or should he be given a military funeral on a grand scale out of respect for what that generation done and sacrificed,say on a scale of the unknown soldier in Britain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 609 ✭✭✭GA361

Well given the tremendous sacrifice these men made for pretty much all of us,I think that it would indeed be in order.A fond farewell to the last.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

The American one is entitled to a military funeral whether he's last or not. As long as you served honourably, you (or your family) can request that the Army show up. You don't have to have spent any particular length of time, in a war, or done anything special, just served.

NTM

That seems to be a sensible approach, give families the option and let them decide.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭arnhem44

I'd be inclined to agree with GA361 on this,I think a last surviving veteran deserves a state funeral although with the permission from there family

• Advertisement
Advertisement