Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Photo used in Hot Press....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

Great shot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Armed police bla bla, not sure if it's in the paper edition that you buy in Easons and all good book shops! :P

http://www.hotpress.com/Paranoid%20Visions/news/Punk%20singer%20in%20airport%20security%20alert/5737152.html

ps I was not asked for use of this but since I am PV's photographer I assume none of us care!

Nice photo.

*cough* credit not given to photographer *cough*
    *cough* copyright - payment for use *cough*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 325 ✭✭iamnothim

ah yeah, i have at least one photo in nearly every hotpress. two in this months one i think. never been credited, never been paid. happy days :)

(they always end up in there through press releases from bands)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Dodgykeeper

iamnothim wrote: »
    ah yeah, i have at least one photo in nearly every hotpress. two in this months one i think. never been credited, never been paid. happy days :)

I can understand this as surely the bands are quite happy with the exposure they are getting from being in Hot Press and you are getting Paid (in some way) by the band!

But why dont they give a credit?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,723 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Good man Janer - nice photo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

I bit the bullet and spent €3.50 on Hot Press today and It's in there on page 17 with full name credit. :)
    I had trouble finding it as I was looking for a newspaper, I was informed it changed to magazine format a long time back.

I must've been feeling fairly flush as I even bought a Camera magazine for €5.50!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

I bit the bullet and spent €3.50 on Hot Press today and It's in there on page 17 with full name credit. :)
    I had trouble finding it as I was looking for a newspaper, I was informed it changed to magazine format a long time back.

I must've been feeling fairly flush as I even bought a Camera magazine for €5.50!!

Amatuer Photographer is only 3.50, you got ripped off :p

Anyway, well done AR, good shot too :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

Nice one fella!

"Aoife Destruction" thats a stroke of genius that is! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭fluffyVW

Nice one Janer!!! Its a great shot :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

Do you know what Aoifes surname is and is she from Cabra??? Lovely shot, spits of a girl from school.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭mrboswell

iamnothim wrote: »

Fair enough if you want to be a door mat....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

mrboswell wrote: »
    Fair enough if you want to be a door mat....

Press releases are a different story, the band has paid for the image specifically for this purpose and the magazine will accept it on the basis that it is supplied by the band and payment is not required. If there is an issue regarding payment it then has to be handled with the band rather than the magazine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Buzz Lightyear

Well done Janer. Office recognition - your now a pap :-)

On I phone so can't quote but smelly glove is correct. :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭trishw78

congrats Janer

Press releases are a different story, the band has paid for the image specifically for this purpose and the magazine will accept it on the basis that it is supplied by the band and payment is not required. If there is an issue regarding payment it then has to be handled with the band rather than the magazine.
    On I phone so can't quote but smelly glove is correct. :-)

Exactly - my point is if you don't want to be a door mat have it pre arranged with the band that you have to at least get a credit or whatever you wish.

In this case though it seems boards recognition is enough but that is not the same for everyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

mrboswell wrote: »
    Exactly - my point is if you don't want to be a door mat have it pre arranged with the band that you have to at least get a credit or whatever you wish.

In this case though it seems boards recognition is enough but that is not the same for everyone.

I think you are quite correct but if I understand a little about AR, then his particular philosophy/outlook around this stuff is that it is like his punk approach to things - a lot of homegrown suck it and see, informal kinda stuff (note - not attempting to define punk exactly) - soooooooo, then, a recognition in a national title with publication of some of his work, is indeed mighty reward.

I'm not saying its right or wrong - each to their own. In fact I am just waiting for a day when a story will break here about AR making it bigtime somewhere for gig shots and wonder if a stack of euros was put on the table then would he 'sell out' and become a very rich punk. :D

ps AR - I hope that you do :)

AnCatDubh wrote: »
    I think you are quite correct but if I understand a little about AR, then his particular philosophy/outlook around this stuff is that it is like his punk approach to things - a lot of homegrown suck it and see, informal kinda stuff (note - not attempting to define punk exactly) - soooooooo, then, a recognition in a national title with publication of some of his work, is indeed mighty reward.

I'm not saying its right or wrong - each to their own. In fact I am just waiting for a day when a story will break here about AR making it bigtime somewhere for gig shots and wonder if a stack of euros was put on the table then would he 'sell out' and become a very rich punk. :D

No man, stay true to your core.
    Give that money to me, I'll sell out to anyone or anything if the price is right! Therefore, by that logic, I deserve your money!

Totally understand, but maybe he'll start to make it bigtime when Hotpress start giving him the credit for his photos that they publish ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭sineadw

Had one in HP ther emyself at the start of the month :) Was a promo shoot I did ages ago for a press pack. The singergave them full details and asked for me to be credited but they didn't. C'est la vie - I still got paid. And its nice to have it on the portfolio.

Congrats Janer :) Its nice to see it in there isn't it? I even bought a copy myself ;) Which issue are you in?

• Advertisement

sineadw wrote: »
    Had one in HP ther emyself at the start of the month :) Was a promo shoot I did ages ago for a press pack. The singergave them full details and asked for me to be credited but they didn't. C'est la vie - I still got paid. And its nice to have it on the portfolio.

Congrats Janer :) Its nice to see it in there isn't it? I even bought a copy myself ;) Which issue are you in?

The dilemma - singer/band wants publicity but wants to look after the photographer....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

Great stuff AR - it's a nice feeling isn't it?

Is there any chance that the next time there is a thread on "I got published and I'm happy about it" that no one argues the toss on payment or credit?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭Trev M

Photo is great really like it, and I guess well done on the recognition element , do people really rate HP highly?

Calina wrote: »
    Great stuff AR - it's a nice feeling isn't it?

Is there any chance that the next time there is a thread on "I got published and I'm happy about it" that no one argues the toss on payment or credit?

Yes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Dodgykeeper

Or the next time someone posts a link to a photo comp, no one sees the need to mention the terms and conditions and how crap last years winners were!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭sineadw

Trev M wrote: »
    do people really rate HP highly?

Personally, no more than any other national magazine, but when you're shooting tiny gigs with mostly unknown bands most of the time its a good feeling :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

Eh....., No..... We're and Irish based forum after all :eek:

/back to the cave ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Anouilh

Or the next time someone posts a link to a photo comp, no one sees the need to mention the terms and conditions and how crap last years winners were!

Terms and conditions are important, if you want to make sure that the organisers of a competition are not involved in rights grabbing. There was a lot of buzzing round that subject in relation to the National Trust debacle in Spring.

This is a competition related thread and I was unwise to mention "Art" in the title bar as nobody seems to have found it interesting enough to respond. It refers to a competition for art work for the Luas line:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055671142

There are many photographers here whose work would cheer the populace of Dublin if it were posted in Luas stations on a dull Winter's day.

Here's at it...???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Good stuff Janer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Anouilh

Eh....., No..... We're and Irish based forum after all :eek:

/back to the cave ;)

Just as well, perhaps...

http://www.webvivant.com/NT-rights-grab.html

AR is in very good company, from the style point of view:

http://www.hotpress.com/av/

Check my pixie!!
    I'd like to think that the only gig photographer that I know who I would be similar too for gig shots would be Shay from here.
    Most of those pics from EP '08 that you linked too are the ones I detest.....They are geared towards fancy lightwork and mood and not enough from the artist, they are all generic and would capture nothing of the energy and sweat that Punk/Hardcore gigs create.

Probably came out conceited and smug like but commercial music I hate and commercial generic photography of commercial music!

Advertisement