Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who's the next champion to loose their belt in the UFC ??

Options
  • 13-08-2009 1:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭

Just looking at the champions in the UFC, in my opinion they are all set to dominate for a long time in thier weight divisions? I cant see another Heavy weight living with brock (untill/if Fedor ever signs for UFC). A.SILVA and Machida seem light years ahead in their categories.GSP is too strong for his divison too. BJ is probably the often touted as the most talented fighter in the UFC However i think the next champion likely to loose his belt will be BJ , his next fight is likely to be Diego Schanez, who i feel is too strong for him.What do you think?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

Can't wait for BJ Vs Sanchez! I would have liked for GSP to move up and fight Silva, seeing as Silva has no interest in fighting Machida - I don't know why he's moving up at all, leaving the MW belt, when he's not even making a run for the LHW belt, vacent is just crazy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭Lord Muck

Can't wait for BJ Vs Sanchez! I would have liked for GSP to move up and fight Silva, seeing as Silva has no interest in fighting Machida - I don't know why he's moving up at all, leaving the MW belt, when he's not even making a run for the LHW belt, vacent is just crazy!

I never knew he vacated the MW belt!!! I thought he moved up because he cleared all the contenders in the MW division. I just assumed he is gonna cary on defending the MW title.I read something about Dana White saying that if Machida gets past Shogun and Silva wins his next fight , he WILL make Silva v Machida happen.That'd be some fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

No way sanchez can live with BJ standing or on the ground, BJ is the most dominant at his weight than all the others, GSP to me is the most likely to lose it but i would not hold my breath next would be Machida.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭testing_times

sanchez V Penn would be savage.
    just look at the way Sanchez bull dozed Clay Guieda, granted BJ is far better on the ground but it would have the potential be a quality fight.
    Sanchez is a demon, just no stopping him in both cardio & heart. I really think he is an under-rated right that is just getting better and better.

Cant see Machida loosing against Shogun, in saying that Machida hasnt been touched yet by any LHW, its almost impossible to hit the guy , maybe theres a few question marks about whether he can get up from a hard shot.I agree BJ has great stand up , but Diego is no slouch either, he's tough too, his last fight against Guida , he took some good hits and keep on going

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭dunkamania

Anderson Silva will not be vacating the MW title, as was originally thought.

Penn or Machida would be my picks to lose their titles next. Both are miles ahead of the competition, but the others are just even further ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

If Randy gets another go at brock he'll win, he was dominating the fight untill that clumsy ham of a fist landed on the back of his head, so maybe brock, he's still got a lot to prove imo..

he has proved to be deserving to be in the UFC but not that he's the man-YET!

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭ginoginelli

Id go with penn or machida too. I do think though, if machida gets past shogun he's going to be holding that belt for a long time.

Sanchez/penn has the makings for the fight of the decade. cant f*ucking wait for it! Hopefully bj wont try to stall this fight and it will happen sooner rather than later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

I honestly think Brock will be the next to lose the strap.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭t-ha

cowzerp wrote: »
    If Randy gets another go at brock he'll win, he was dominating the fight untill that clumsy ham of a fist landed on the back of his head, so maybe brock, he's still got a lot to prove imo..
    Don't know that Randy was dominating?! He was losing the standing exchanges even before he got knocked out, and as well as he did wrestling a far bigger man, being able to get back up again is not the same thing as dominating the wrestling.

I think Brock will be a serious challenge for anyone. I recently saw a vid of him training for Frank Mir, it was nearly a perfect practice run of what he would go on to do in the actual fight. Game-planner, serious as hell, untouchable physical attributes, improving skills... scary stuff.

It will be a massive upset whenever any of the current champs are beaten. BJ is miles ahead of Diego in pretty much every skill in the game.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Jason Mc

I think Shane Carwin will be a good match for brock.

Big powerfull wrestle with hands of steel.

But he has to get through Cain first

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Omar comin

What are the chances of Silva v Machida?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Nothingcompares

I think Penn's biggest challenge after Sanchez lie at 170 or outside the UFC. I can't see him being beaten at 155.

I don't think GSP can be beaten at 170 either.

Anderson Silva unlikely to lose at 185.

Machida - untested as a champion, like to see A Silva, Rampage etc. test him

Lesnar - most likely to fall.

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭roo1981

cowzerp wrote: »
    No way sanchez can live with BJ standing or on the ground, BJ is the most dominant at his weight than all the others,.

I duno, Sanchez is very underated-he may not finish much of his fights, but I think hes a nightmare (pardon the pun) matchup for BJ. I reckon he's far more of a threat than Florian anyways. He hung with Marcelo Garcia on the ground for 10 mins a few years back so he's no slouch-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXF8U2xEDvk

His strikings improved an awful lot as well-he battered Guida in his last fight-he's also gone to decision with some of the bigger welterweights (Kosheck for example) so strength isnt going to be an issue. The cut may be a problem for him but he seems to be managing it better with every fight. His intensity and ability to push a fast pace could give BJ probs unless BJ finishes it early

Jason Mc wrote: »
    I think Shane Carwin will be a good match for brock.

Big powerfull wrestle with hands of steel.

But he has to get through Cain first

Agree. But other than Carwin i cant see anyone in the UFC heavyweight division coming close to hurting Brock,unless Cro Cop rediscovers his Pride form. Last fight against Kenny withstanding, BJ is suspect the longer the fight goes on, there are still a few questions about his cardio and whether he puts the hours in training, he tends to relay on (admitedly huge) natural talent. I can see Diego grinding a win out

Sanchez's best asset his is pace. this is were bj is weakest, so there is a chance he could wear him out. My money would still be on penn to win a 5 round decision.

Id love to see them get into a grappling war ala diaz/sanchez but the fight will probably stay standing where bj will tool sanchez, sort of like the kosckeck fight.

Sanchez is a pretty ****ty striker for the top level. He telegraphs all his combos and it just looks like hes hitting the mits when he throws. I dont think bj will be able to finsh sanchez but I can see him just picking sanchez apart for 5 rounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

Anderson. Henderson's going to choke him out

That seems the most immediately likely to me. Although it will probably be more of a shock, like GSP losing to Swick the same as he did to Serra

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭Tones69

Sanchez's best asset his is pace. this is were bj is weakest, so there is a chance he could wear him out. My money would still be on penn to win a 5 round decision.

Id love to see them get into a grappling war ala diaz/sanchez but the fight will probably stay standing where bj will tool sanchez, sort of like the kosckeck fight.

Sanchez is a pretty ****ty striker for the top level. He telegraphs all his combos and it just looks like hes hitting the mits when he throws. I dont think bj will be able to finsh sanchez but I can see him just picking sanchez apart for 5 rounds.

Hes far from a ****ty striker, he landed some tasty straights and uppercuts on guida and flattened him with a head kick, u think they all land out of "luck"?!?

reread my post. I said for THE TOP LEVEL. Guida has track record of getting hit too.

His striking has improved but its still not very good. That upercut he throws is a joke. He changes his hand postion everytime before he throws it and telegraphs it big time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

Can't see BJ losing to Sanchez. Both use boxing when standing, and BJ is a much better boxer then Sanchez and has more power IMO. Don't think Sanchez will be able to get BJ to the ground and if he does BJ will be to dangerous off his back and his guard will be next to impossible pass at 155 lbs.

The only area I see where Sanchez has an advantage is his pace and I don't think he will come flying at BJ early (wont want to get caught early in his first title fight). See him starting slowly and trying to work his way into the fight but then again BJ likes to start fast.

BJ easily and then there are not much fights left for him at 155 lbs.

On the others

I think Lyoto will beat Shogun, dont know who GSP will fight next. I think both Hendo and Carwin (I think he'll beat Cain) will give Silva and Lesnar great fights. These being the most likely to lose IMO.

Silva wont knock Hendo out, Hendo has power in both hands capable of KO'ing anybody and his wrestling is next to none.

Carwin still kind of untested, big powerful wrestler with KO power. So always has a chance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

Shogun will beat Machida.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,610 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭t-ha

Fromvert wrote: »
    Carwin still kind of untested, big powerful wrestler with KO power. So always has a chance.
    Never been too impressed with his hand speed or boxing technique though. Obviously he's got the KO power and is close to Brock in size, but I'd give the speed/reaction time advantage to Brock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭Tones69

reread my post. I said for THE TOP LEVEL. Guida has track record of getting hit too.

His striking has improved but its still not very good. That upercut he throws is a joke. He changes his hand postion everytime before he throws it and telegraphs it big time.

Yeah ok, im done arguing with you now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 Rugger7

I've thought for a long while (and still do) that Carwin will be a HW champion. None of his fights have gone to the 2nd round, very good wrestler, bigger hands and more KO power than Brock, can take a punch and he's still only a part time fighter! If he quit his job as an engineer and trained full time he'd be even better.I think his biggest disadvantage is his age.

I'd really like to see Siva vs Machida aswell but Anderson might prefer to stay at MW than fight his friend.

GSP will hold his the longest imo. Only coz Spider is 34 and could leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Kent Brockman

Fighting is a very strange game and always likely to throw up an upset.

I used to think Tito, Matt Hughes and Rich Franklin were pretty much unbeatable for quite a while(at various different times while following UFC) but each was beaten and it seemed to lead to them becoming different fighters who lost their aura of invincibility.

No doubt I feel that way about GSP and Anderson at the moment as these are guys who have been beaten before but have gotten better from it.
    Would be interesting to see how Macheda would fare if he was beaten?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

Rugger7 wrote: »
    I've thought for a long while (and still do) that Carwin will be a HW champion. None of his fights have gone to the 2nd round, very good wrestler, bigger hands and more KO power than Brock, can take a punch and he's still only a part time fighter! If he quit his job as an engineer and trained full time he'd be even better.I think his biggest disadvantage is his age.

He quit his job either immediately after the Gonzaga fight or in the run up to it

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Elevelyn

No way, Machida will definitely win that fight. IMO

I hope that Lesnar will lose his belt first but dont think he will, Velaques imo will beat Carwin and hopefully put that fat ape in his place.

Think GSP is the best in WW (swick v campmann either figher is not up to scratch) so he will stay. Same with Silva, unless he vacates the belt.

Think Penn will lose his first, Sanchez is a risky fight for him as bj can be lazy with training and imo he doesnt have the same cardio as the nightmare.

Advertisement