Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Abuse of Disabled Parking Space

Options
  • 13-08-2009 2:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭

has anyone noticed the large transit van parked in the carpark at the liberty tree in the disabled space near the pedestrian lights? the one with the coffin on the roof!

this van is parked in a disabled parking space and is being used by someone to set up a stall to protest about some issues they have with the british legal/prison service. this man has a disabled parking permit and is using this to allow him park this van in a disabled space all day and carry on his business while denying anyone else from parking in one of the very few disabled spaces around the town.

he told me earlier today that he has the permission of the council and the Guards to set up his stall but i find this hard to believe considering he is using a disabled space.

i have no issue with him having a parking permit and using it legitimetly but i feel he should be paying for parking in this case and not using a disabled space for the whole day as he is using the space for other purposes than parking!

do you think he is abusing his disabled parking permit given that he is using it to allow him to protest rather than just to park in the space?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

I don't really see the problem. He's disabled, has a valid Disabled Persons Parking Card and his van is actually parked in a disabled bay. His reason for being parked there shouldn't matter any more than for an able-bodied person parked in a general parking bay.

Anyway it seems that if no disabled bays are available then other disabled drivers can use any other public-owned parking bay with the same privileges (granted, the bay will probably be narrower).

http://www.ddai.ie/eu-disabled-persons-parking-card/when-and-where-can-i-use/
    They may park in assigned disabled person’s parking spaces. These have the wheelchair symbol painted on the ground within the bay or a sign with the symbol thereon displayed. In such spaces allocated by a Local Authorities and Public Bodies extend free parking and it is without a time limit. Where a disabled space is unavailable, a Local Authorities and Public Bodies extend parking of the vehicle transporting the holder in general parking, at parking meters and in disc parking areas without charge and without a time limit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

slimjimmc wrote: »
    I don't really see the problem. He's disabled, has a valid Disabled Persons Parking Card and his van is actually parked in a disabled bay. His reason for being parked there shouldn't matter any more than for an able-bodied person parked in a general parking bay.

Anyway it seems that if no disabled bays are available then other disabled drivers can use any other public-owned parking bay with the same privileges (granted, the bay will probably be narrower).

http://www.ddai.ie/eu-disabled-persons-parking-card/when-and-where-can-i-use/
    9. No vehicle shall be parked in a parking place mentioned in the First Schedule to these bye-laws for the purpose of the display of any advertisement by means of such vehicle, the sale of any goods in or from such vehicle, the offering of such vehicle for sale or hire, or for any other purpose save being parked for the convenience of the driver, owner or other person in charge thereof.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1950/en/si/0228.html#zzsi228y1950a3

he is not allowed to use the extra space provided to disabled spaces for the purpose of petitioning passers-by or protesting his issues with the british legal and prison system

• Registered Users Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ShayK1

foggy_lad: can I ask, if you feel strongly about this; why not raise it with the relevant authorithy that could move this guy on rather than posting it on a forum which will have no affect on him staying or vacating the space?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭SIX PACK

their should have a tow truck in Carlow town like they have in Dublin if people double park or take up a disabled parking space without a permit...
    it would pay for itself in time . . .

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

The abuse of these spaces in Fairgreen is something else, people whose only disability is laziness.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

I said it to a chap getting out of a car parked in a disabled space outside the Spar in Graigue last week. He wasn't long moving it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 959 ✭✭✭kwalshe

The abuse of these spaces in Fairgreen is something else, people whose only disability is laziness.
    Or more often than not Obese Laziness (with a dash of pugly)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

I have a pass for myself but would only use it on my really bad days..and I am furious to see some of the gobdaws hogging spaces...The "I'll only be a min" excuse doesn't cut it with me. One of these days I'll park outside one of these lazy cows and smile sweetly and say "I'll only be a minute too." And then be gone for 30 mins...

Advertisement