Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

horse sick?

Options
  • 13-08-2009 2:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭

My horse got a runny nose about 2 weeks ago, it was green & only from one nostril. He is out at grass 24/7. I left it go for a few days because he wasn't cough & eating well & in great form. But then after a hour hack, he started coughing so i phoned the vet. He didn't come out, but told me there was a cold going around the horses & told my livery owner to give him a 5 day course of penicillin & keep him off work & on his own for a while. His antibiotic finished 4 day ago, but he still has cough & snot has gone white, but still flying out of his nose. My livery owner says he's fine cause he's eating well & not off form & it could take 2/3 weeks to get out of system, but because he's my first horse i'm worried. Should i get vet out to see him??. His jabs are all up to date. Please help?:confused::(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭lin lin

I'd say the livery owner is right, especially if the snot has gone white :-) it's a sure sign he is on the mend but could take a couple of weeks

If you are in doubt or worried, then get the vet.
    Even just for peace of mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭lulubell

Thanks girl!:)

girl?

Sorry that was meant for lin lin, just presumed she was a girl, maybe i'm wrong. SORRY

• Advertisement

no i am!..

lucky you who have a horse, i love horses..

do you know anyone looking for a helmet size 7 1/4? i'm moving abroad and was thinking bout bringing it with me so i haven't advertised but i have so much stuff i've realised i might have to leave it behind.. its almost new, used 3-4 times, bought around february for about €70, i'll sell it for €30!

Sorry i don't i'm afraid, also i live in Killarney Co Kerry,so i 'm a bit far away from u! Maybe you could advertise on Gumtree? ;)

yup Killarney would be a bit too far :-)

i'll just go and put an ad up in the yard where i was riding.

hope your horse gets better soon!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Chindato

As with humans, many colds that horse get are caused by viruses, and therefore you can do nothing but wait them out and make sure that the horse's immune system is given every chance to build immunity quickly - so keeping horse on the 'easy list', making sure they're warm etc.

As with humans, colds can take a while to shake off. I wouldn't call the vet out unless the horse worsens and/ or develops a temperature

Hope this helps

Thanks for your help. He's been getting a rest for past week & half & have been keeping him warm & comfortable. he's still eating great & in great form, so i guess i'll just have to wait it out! Just worried cause he's new to me, & i love him :) Thanks again!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭ecaf

girl?

Sorry OT but, zaraba I always thought your username was like a girl's name anyway! As in Zara Phillips, and in my head I call you za-barbara? Don't know why, I just don't read some names properly and get it mixed up in how it is pronounced!
    Anyway sorry for mixing it up, I take it from your reply you are not female! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

ecaf wrote: »
    Sorry OT but, zaraba I always thought your username was like a girl's name anyway! As in Zara Phillips, and in my head I call you za-barbara? Don't know why, I just don't read some names properly and get it mixed up in how it is pronounced!
    Anyway sorry for mixing it up, I take it from your reply you are not female! :pac:

Everyone has problems pronouncing/remembering Z's name - I used to say zabara for ages!!!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

If the nasal discharge is white, it's probably ok, but if you're in any doubt call the vet. As the other posters have said, it does take a while for any mammal to shake a cold, so the symptoms may persist for a while. Easy work and keeping the horse comfortable ensuring s/he has ready access to plenty of fresh water is the best course of action. If the symptoms haven't left, then it's probably best to contact your vet again.

Advertisement