Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Log Splitter

• 13-08-2009 2:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭

Anybody recommend a good log splitter, which can be run off a tractor hydraulics?

For that matter has anybody cobbled up their own?

R1

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 336 ✭✭locha

Was in a simiar position last year and went to the ploughing to have a good look at all the options. Thought they were expensive so got a local engineering guy to knock one up for me. I gave him a ram from an old digger. Turned out to be a brilliant job. If you are like me cutting up trees you need a big ram as you are able to roll 3ft seams onto it. Able to bock a weeks fireword in 20mins!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭Rujib1

locha wrote: »
    Was in a simiar position last year and went to the ploughing to have a good look at all the options. Thought they were expensive so got a local engineering guy to knock one up for me. I gave him a ram from an old digger. Turned out to be a brilliant job. If you are like me cutting up trees you need a big ram as you are able to roll 3ft seams onto it. Able to bock a weeks fireword in 20mins!

Yes, I am thinking along the same lines. I have a hydraulic top link spare, and was thinking of using that as my ram. Do you think it would have enough stroke and power for the job?

Thanks

R1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 336 ✭✭locha

Dont think so but if depends if you just want a substitute for a hatchet. I needed something that was able to split big reams. I was lucky in that I had a big ram if I didnt I would have gone out and bought one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

I bought a Major log splitter years ago. It was one of the first that they made. Cost €850 at the time. Saved me a lot of time and effort and is as good as new. It splits mostly ash for me and has no problem with any size that I am able to lift onto it. It was one of the greatest investments I ever made. Can split enough timber in one day to last for a full year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

heaps of little electric ones on ebay cheap, probably not worth a ****e though, guy on done deal seems to be advertising home made ones, and post drivers also

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭meenmore

My brother actually made at least one. Maybe two, I'm not sure. Those who used it were very happy with the results, though. Dunno if he'd make another, seeing as he's fairly busy at work, but if enough people were genuinely interested...could always ask.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,141 ✭✭✭colrow

reilig wrote: »
    I bought a Major log splitter years ago. It was one of the first that they made. Cost €850 at the time. Saved me a lot of time and effort and is as good as new. It splits mostly ash for me and has no problem with any size that I am able to lift onto it. It was one of the greatest investments I ever made. Can split enough timber in one day to last for a full year.

I've got one of these as well, its a good workhorse, the worst bit is chainsawing the logs first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 760 ✭✭✭bk1991

i was gona make one this year but only problem with home made ones is insurriance i woulnt be covered with others working it so a no no

if u realy want a good one check this out you could chop of ur fingers or mabey even ur hand while ur at it http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2bVAAx3mMKY

bk1991

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭kfk

I think I heard before that there is some way of converting a post driver to a log splitter? Anyone hear of this?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

not difficult to make one, ram is the most expensive part, can be got off somebody scrapping diggers. I used 8x4 inch rsj for mine. make it long enough and leave room for a light chain near the ram so that if timber gets stuck on the blade it can be pulled off.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

Dont be foolish and get a proper mschine that has all the necessary safety bits included.

I got one from

http://www.mlarge.com/logsplitters.html

He delivered it to me in mayo and the price was right.

I got a thor farmer series 13 ton verticle and i was not dissappointed. My one is the one with a flexible pto atachment. What used to take me 3 days with an axe is now done in a day, even very knotty wood. I tend to cut the wood into 12 inch or so rounds so as no to put my lovely machine under pressure, but it can split up to a meter if necessary.

http://www.mlarge.com/thor_products_10.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 farmer99

Cavan Agri in Belturbet have the complete range of Woodline splitters
    Tractor one is very reasonable

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 D.Watson

Advertisement