Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Digiweb Metro

Options
  • 13-08-2009 3:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭

I started a thread here asking for peoples opinions on UPC but I rang up and its not available in my area.

So my next option is Digiweb metro (http://www.digiweb.ie/home/metro/) and am looking at the metro home package.

Has anyone had/have this and want to give their opinions?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

I'm in Dundalk. I had this for a year. I found it to be reliable. For me it was anyway. Had a 7mb connection. Grand. Not sure about your location though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Bonavox

Insurgent wrote: »
    I'm in Dundalk. I had this for a year. I found it to be reliable. For me it was anyway. Had a 7mb connection. Grand. Not sure about your location though.

Yeah, I'm in Ballyfermot so I'm not sure if its available. With a bit of luck it will be. I really don't want Eircom or Perlico, and UPC isn't available so heres hoping.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

Bono Vox wrote: »
    Yeah, I'm in Ballyfermot so I'm not sure if its available. With a bit of luck it will be. I really don't want Eircom or Perlico, and UPC isn't available so heres hoping.

When you check it on the site it says that it is available in your area.

Insurgent wrote: »
    When you check it on the site it says that it is available in your area.

Yeah I just saw that there. I think I'll end up going with the home package.

Anyone got/had any problems with it?

Thanks

Also do you usually reach the speeds advertised?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

I had Digiweb Metro for just over 2 years. When the installation dude came to install the system, he did a test and said I was just within range. He installed it and I never had major issues with it.
    A few nights of really bad weather affected it at times alright.

Up until a few months ago, my connection was dropping on and off. Called support, they sent out a service dude, he did a test and said it's basically gone. He told me Digiweb had changed their bandwidth and thus affecting me receiving the signal.
    Had to jump ship. I had the Metro Lite package at the time, 1mb and phone for under 30 Euro.
    They were a pain in the ass in the end to get my money back, as I paid my sub for the year.

Had to go Eircom in the end :(

DeadSkin wrote: »
    I had Digiweb Metro for just over 2 years. When the installation dude came to install the system, he did a test and said I was just within range. He installed it and I never had major issues with it.
    A few nights of really bad weather affected it at times alright.

Up until a few months ago, my connection was dropping on and off. Called support, they sent out a service dude, he did a test and said it's basically gone. He told me Digiweb had changed their bandwidth and thus affecting me receiving the signal.
    Had to jump ship. I had the Metro Lite package at the time, 1mb and phone for under 30 Euro.
    They were a pain in the ass in the end to get my money back, as I paid my sub for the year.

Had to go Eircom in the end :(

I bet that was pretty annoying! I've heard from a few friends that Eircom is very poor. Just wondering what type of experience you're having with it?

Anyone else have Digiweb and think its worth getting?

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

if your into gaming, judging from your sig etc, i`d strongly advise to go with Eircom or some other DSL reseller

Have a look into smart or magnet and see if there available in your area

nuxxx wrote: »
    if your into gaming, judging from your sig etc, i`d strongly advise to go with Eircom or some other DSL reseller

Have a look into smart or magnet and see if there available in your area

Would you say Digiweb wouldn't be able to cope with it? I have a 1MB Irish Broadband *waits for laughter to end* and it barely get through, so I initially thought it would work.

I might re-think if your right.

Would you say Digiweb wouldn't be able to cope with it? I have a 1MB Irish Broadband *waits for laughter to end* and it barely get through, so I initially thought it would work.

I might re-think if your right.

Irish broadband wireless?

The bandwidth doesnt really make any difference to ping times, i assume your into online gaming right?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭novarock

Ive had metro in Ranelagh for the last month. Pretty much as solid 8 Meg all the time (with rapidshare). Im a good distance from the antenna too. I had it in another house in inchcore and it was fine then as well.

Im not a gamer, so have no idea what its like from that point of view.

Irish broadband wireless?

The bandwidth doesnt really make any difference to ping times, i assume your into online gaming right?

Yeah, and I'm on a network powered by a 1MB Irish Broadband modem. Of course I sometimes hook it up via ethernet.

But overall I play online a lot

If you play online go with a DSL service, no ifs or buts, trust me on that one, someone whos been gaming regulary since 1999.

Look into magnet or smart, if you cant get them i suggest Eircom or BT 3MB

Make sure you dont signup to there 7MB service, they have interleaving high on those lines, i.e higher ping times

If you play online go with a DSL service, no ifs or buts, trust me on that one, someone whos been gaming regulary since 1999.

Look into magnet or smart, if you cant get them i suggest Eircom or BT 3MB

Make sure you dont signup to there 7MB service, they have interleaving high on those lines, i.e higher ping times

The thing is I'd need to be 100% sure broadband wouldn't work with online gaming as my family are set on broadband.

Is there anyone who has had any online gaming problems on the Metro package?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

My Metro in Limerick consistently has better ping times than DSL.
    C:\WINDOWS>ping www.heanet.ie

Pinging samhain.heanet.ie [193.1.219.57] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 193.1.219.57: bytes=32 time=18ms TTL=60
    Reply from 193.1.219.57: bytes=32 time=20ms TTL=60
    Reply from 193.1.219.57: bytes=32 time=36ms TTL=60
    Reply from 193.1.219.57: bytes=32 time=20ms TTL=60

Ping statistics for 193.1.219.57:
        Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
        Minimum = 18ms, Maximum = 36ms, Average = 23ms

Via WiFi to Router (wired ethernet can save 1ms to 5ms depending how many people are on your WiFi). You need to get your own etherent Router/WiFi/Firewall.

EVERY system will have had people with problems gaming. It's not really possible to know exactly how good a decent system will be till you get it. Some systems are definitely inherently poor (7.6Mbps DSL (not ADSL2+), Ripwave, 3G/HSPA/EDGE Mobile, Clearwire, Satellite) for gaming.

Systems that should be OK
    Fibre
    Cable (i.e. UPC)
    Metro Wireless (Digiweb only)
    ADSL2+ (needs phone line, extra cost rental)
    DSL (older enabled phone exchanges, extra cost rental)
    Other Fixed Wireless Broadband using professional external radio/aerial panel. (Not Outdoor WiFi)

Bad Systems for Gaming
    7.6Mbps on basic DSL (not ADSL2+)
    WiFi via external aerial
    Broadband in a Box packages (Nomadic Wireless, except maybe the Digiweb, which is very limited coverage)
    :: USB dongles such as Meteor/eircom, 3/NBS, O2, Vodafone
    :: Any system using your phone as a Modem
    :: GPRS, EDGE, 3G, HSPA etc (Meteor/eircom, 3/NBS, O2, Vodafone)
    :: Any system using phone masts.
    Satellite

:: These are all the same thing, Wireless Midband via Mobile Phone network. Two channel ISDN will outperform them. The Mobile & Nomadic systems dishonestly quote only an up to speed (can be as high as 7.6Mbps), but the average speed is 1Mbps to 2Mbps and over 1/4 of people could get less than 0.256Mbps. These are not "always on" and may drop connection or not connect. Ping is 80ms to 2000ms, with over 120ms typical.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭veXual

I've had metro the last 2 years in Carlow and have used it primarily for gaming without issue.

Ping times are consistantly ~20 - 40 ish so you should be ok. I suppose it all depends on how close you are to the antenna, I believe we were on the 5mb package and I dont recall any problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

The distance doesn't affect ping time, only contention. I'm nearly 13km. :) On a phone line that long I'd be lucky to get 128k DSL !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

Based on what, do you mind me asking? That strikes me as an urban myth (because of high interleaving on most eircom/bitstream products). I haven't used eircom DSL in about a month, though, so I'm wondering if something has changed.

As for Metro itself? Well, I still recommend it to people. Their support has been quite poor (trying to pass obvious signal/network issues as contention, even at 4am), and their phone service is not very reliable.

However, bang for buck, low latency, and high upload speed on what is normally a rock solid, not overly contended network outweigh the poor support experience I've had.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

I bet that was pretty annoying! I've heard from a few friends that Eircom is very poor. Just wondering what type of experience you're having with it?

Anyone else have Digiweb and think its worth getting?

Thanks

I don't game so it's fine for me.
    It's just that I had a great deal with Digiweb, never had an issue until they decided to change their bandwidth and alienate the customers they had on the limits of their range.

Advertisement