Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Given up but about to crack

Options
  • 13-08-2009 3:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭

My Gf has been off fags for about 2 months now but says she is getting close to breaking.
    She is getting no work done, she can't concentrate and can't find any effective stress reliever.

As someone who has never smoked, I can't really know what she is going through but I really would like her to stick through this.

Not getting work done wouldn't be half as bad if she were not going into her final year of college. Grades are important and she needs to concentrate to get them, I can vouch for this, I just finished that course.

How can I help her? How can she help herself?
    I can't just say "No.", I have to try to get her to want to push through.

She used patches for the first month, gum has nasty side-effects for her, and those micro-tabs turn into molten sulphur in her mouth.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

It's all in the head now. After 2 months she is way over it. If she is not then I almost guarantee you that she's still having the odd one behind your (and her own) back, has actually failed and now she justs wants to come out of the closet.
    If she is genuinely two months down the road I can not believe she is so bad. But when I was bad at the stage where I'd still get cravings I'd simply tell myself that I lasted now for - say - 16 days - and that I'm not going to give up on all that hard work over a little 'attack' that will go away in 2 minutes. How stupid that would be I kept telling myself and a few minutes later I would have forgotten about cigarettes.
    But seriously. After 4 weeks I wouldn't even think of cigarettes. After 2 months still cravings - she is still smoking 1 or 2 a day secretly.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

I trust her on this I don't think she has any reason to lie about it.
    She has tried many times before, even made it to 6 months before just having one, then starting all over again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

get her up the duff :D!! my gf gave them up after she got pregnant and hasnt looked back, our little fella is 1 1/2

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

BOBBY wrote: »
    get her up the duff :D!! my gf gave them up after she got pregnant and hasnt looked back, our little fella is 1 1/2

Hah!
    It's a bit early for that yet!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭Pal

sounds to me like shes still not weaned off the tabs/gum/patches whatever.

The urge to smoke will not disappear until she cuts all that crap out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭Miss Fluff

Tell her to read www.whyquit.com over and over again, it will really help her.

Advertisement