Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Graigue

Options
  • 13-08-2009 3:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭

hi i was looking at student accomodation apartments in graigue.. it's called barrowmills.. what is this area like? is it safe or a rough spot? i've been hearing a lot of mixed reports

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

you should be grand, but i'd stay away from graigue if it was me

its also a good walk to the college, unless you have a car

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭Nead21

barrowmills is grand as a student, and there's a good few students down that direction, and the appartments across from it at the other side of the river.

used to know a guy who lived in barrowmills, he had an appartment on the top floor and it was really nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭steder

Its rough enough if i was you id try and find some where in town.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭SIX PACK

barrowmills is fine im living here 4yrs never once had any problem you hav a few dickheads from council estates lik Governey Pk but thats not near barrowhills Id be more worried living in John Sweeney pk,

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭lotdpd

15-20 min walk to the college......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

Nice to hear scare stories about Graiguecullen still abound.

OP like anywhere else it depends what estate/which neighbours etc..

I advise you to check it out yourself and not to listen to scurrilous rumours.

Governey Park is not to my knowledge a council estate or in my opinion the least bit rough. I live right beside it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Stevecw

Barrowmills is actually grand for students from what i hear. My gf's sister and her mates lived there last year and they thought it was great, they are going back there again for this year.
    Close enough to college about 15/20 mins depends how fast a walker you are!!
    5 mins max from the main pub/club area of town.
    So for a student its ideal i think.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

Morf wrote: »
    Nice to hear scare stories about Graiguecullen still abound.

OP like anywhere else it depends what estate/which neighbours etc..

I advise you to check it out yourself and not to listen to scurrilous rumours.

Governey Park is not to my knowledge a council estate or in my opinion the least bit rough. I live right beside it.

Either way, graigue is a rougher part of town. If you can you'd be better off staying nearer to the college anyways

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭iamhunted

ive been living in and around graigue for the past 20 years and I wouldnt say its anywhere near as rough as the town itself. In fact, Ive never had any hassle in graigue ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭lotdpd

5 mins walk to the nearest pub from barrowmills brings you to the thatch pub opposite the chippers and i dont think any students will be heading in there.

more like 10 mins easy going walk to scraggs from barrowmills.......

Stevecw wrote: »
    Barrowmills is actually grand for students from what i hear. My gf's sister and her mates lived there last year and they thought it was great, they are going back there again for this year.
    Close enough to college about 15/20 mins depends how fast a walker you are!!
    5 mins max from the main pub/club area of town.
    So for a student its ideal i think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

iamhunted wrote: »
    ive been living in and around graigue for the past 20 years and I wouldnt say its anywhere near as rough as the town itself. In fact, Ive never had any hassle in graigue ever.

I'm a Graiguer myself and sure, like everywhere you have the bad apples and the bit of trouble, but I honestly wouldnt class Graigue as being 'rough', that prize would have to go to the other end of town I'd imagine :P

As for needing a car, pfft, I went to the Vocational School for 6 years and the IT for 4, walked it, hail, rain and shine, cars are for losers! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭iamhunted

personally i like to take a quick sprint out the old leighlin road, round by Milford, onto the kilkenny road and up that way.

OK, I lied :D

Im a blowin rather than a graigue native but Ive always found it to be a decent enough part of the town.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

Once foreigners were mostly living in Father Byrne park rather than Irish, Graigue improved markedly. That's quite a few years ago though. We had a large coloured population for a while, hence some jokes about the locals.

Advertisement