Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Operational Guidelines for Youthreach

Options
  • 13-08-2009 3:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hi.
    Was just wondering if anyone had seen or heard anything about the new operational guidelines for Youthreach?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,195 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Operational guidelines like what?
    I haven't heard anything and don't see anything about it on the TUI site.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 connorj2005

It's supposedly a new set of operating guidelines for all youthreach centres arising from the Value For Money report last year. It was due out in April of this year but as of yet I haven't seen anything

• Registered Users Posts: 6 gconor101

Yeah, there due still...,

have heard some interesting points on the grape vine. min of 28 contact teaching hours, decrease in the summer programme some vec's are possibly going with a complete removal of the summer programme, recommendation that centres have more resource staff (+1 or 2) with a removal of part-time teachers altogether (how that sits with the Education act I'm not too sure) amongst others. We've started implementing the 28 hour rule. Not going down well with the students though.

PS Do you know of any PT Youthreach teachers that have got CID's? Our VEC is saying that the 'course funding cannot be guaranteed' as objectionable grounds. Does this mean that Youthreach is for the chop?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 connorj2005

We have also gone to the 28 hour week and are having the same problems. I've also heard that they are planning a 6 week closure for the summer instead of 4 weeks which will curtail our floating days.

I do personally know of one part time teacher who got a CID in Youthreach. Same conditions for all of us, ie working the same hours for four years etc. He had to fight to get it, but he did get it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

I was a part-time tutor with Youtheach until 2 years ago then I got a temp position of full time Resource covering sick leave. Then last September I got my CID and had a choice between part time tutor hours or part time Resource. I am now one of about 5 part time resource workers in our county. In my center all our staff, part-time and full time have CIDs. Those who didnt get them last September were let go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

I do personally know of one part time teacher who got a CID in Youthreach.

There are some CIDs being given out to YR staff in some counties. The flip-side is possible redeployment to other schools/centres as it's the VEC who give out the CID.

deemark wrote: »
    There are some CIDs being given out to YR staff in some counties. The flip-side is possible redeployment to other schools/centres as it's the VEC who give out the CID.

I could live with redeployment if necessary but I'd rather stay in YR.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 chesera

This operating guidelines stuff is very sinister since no one can find out what they are.
    This is basically a cost cutting measure where the VEC are Sacrificing Youthreach staff on the altar of government cutbacks and are merrily ignoring agreements and circular letters that had previously stood for ages.:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭nifheorais

Will the teaching year be shortened?
    By the way What does the term 'short breaks at christmas and Easter' as per contract for resource staff mean? At xmas eg is that just 25th Dec?

What is the pupil/teacher ratio for Youthreach ?I am wondering if it is 12?

Resource staff get less holidays than teaching staff. If VECs push the resouce thing its because its to save money though they will argue its best for students. Its not good for teaching staff.

• Advertisement

spurious wrote: »
    Operational guidelines like what?
    I haven't heard anything and don't see anything about it on the TUI site.

The TUI (Annette Dolan) sent a letter to TUI reps in Youthreach Last Monday week saying there are no new operational guidelines as yet issued from DES

Its on draft 3 at the moment and not ready to publish yet

How do you know this? Are you working in Youthreach. Is your VEC working with these guidelines, but how can they since theyre not the subject of agreement with the unions. Will the unions agree to new operating guidelines?

I work for Youthreach yes. To be honest I know nothing about the unions. It was stated at a recent regional meeting that the operational guidelines were now on draft 3 and would be coming shortly. Thats all I know.

Bally8 wrote: »
    I work for Youthreach yes. To be honest I know nothing about the unions. It was stated at a recent regional meeting that the operational guidelines were now on draft 3 and would be coming shortly. Thats all I know.

Thanks Bally8. Do you think the VECs will legally be able to impose new working conditions on teachers in Youthreach who have been working under pro rata teaching contracts? Feeling very nervous because its not a good time to be looking for alternative work in mainstream.

okay, now that the guidelines have been seen and the TUI have discussed them with YR staff, does anyone know when they'll be implemented?

gconor101 wrote: »
    okay, now that the guidelines have been seen and the TUI have discussed them with YR staff, does anyone know when they'll be implemented?

Cant say I know when they will be implemented but for some reason my VEC has decided to pick one thing out of it (sick days entitlement) and has been implementing it since the guidelines went to the TUI !!

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭danish pasterys

Hi I'm just wondering what are the qualification requirements of teaching in youth reach will a social studies degree get me anywhere along with maybe a train the trainer course? This is my long term goal any info be appreciated thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭nifheorais

Hi I'm just wondering what are the qualification requirements of teaching in youth reach will a social studies degree get me anywhere along with maybe a train the trainer course? This is my long term goal any info be appreciated thank you

One must be registered with the Teaching Council to teach in Yr.

Advertisement