Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Removing toilet-sink and shower tray

Options
  • 13-08-2009 3:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭

hi,
    we are going to re-tile the bathroom and the tiler expects us to have the toilet and sink removed so he can tile behind them, which makes sense.
    we are also adding a new shower which is bigger than the one in place.
    How can I remove a toilet, sink and shower tray?
    should i just get a plumber in to do it keeping in mind that i will then have to fit the new ones once the tiling is done.
    any advice here is appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

purerandom wrote: »
    hi,
    we are going to re-tile the bathroom and the tiler expects us to have the toilet and sink removed so he can tile behind them, which makes sense.
    we are also adding a new shower which is bigger than the one in place.
    How can I remove a toilet, sink and shower tray?
    should i just get a plumber in to do it keeping in mind that i will then have to fit the new ones once the tiling is done.
    any advice here is appreciated

Hi,

I see you have posted twice no doubt both relate to each other so I will answer them for you.

1st on the tiles. Although a contradiction gently chisel them off. Be care ful not to do much damage. If you have the sheet of plasterboard will need to be replaced this is not a big deal and the tiler should be able to do it.

How can you removed the toilet sink and shower tray? TBH you should not unless your confident and you do not sound to confident. A plumber will charge you about 700 euro to strip out the old and put in the new. a tiler depends.
    Note be careful to show the plumber( The plumber will need to be careful not to sink the tray to far if its a thick tile) and the tiler the size of tile and the type of shower tray. Do not buy the door till after all the tiling is done. I will advise you how to take a measurment if your stuck but you musat not measure till the tiling is done.

But if you do decide to remove it you just be as careful as possible and blankoff all the pipes.

I have the number of a lad that prepares bathrooms for tilers. I even have the number of a tiler. If you need any help just let me know.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Just some advice if the bathroom is upstairs get a showertray with upstands if its possible for a small bit extra they are a far better tray in regards to sealing

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭purerandom

thanks for the help folks.
    i removed the tiles but some of the plasterboard was damaged. not too expensive to replace so i am not upset over that.

Now, can you guide me through the steps to remove the 800 x 800 shower tray?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

purerandom wrote: »
    thanks for the help folks.
    i removed the tiles but some of the plasterboard was damaged. not too expensive to replace so i am not upset over that.

Now, can you guide me through the steps to remove the 800 x 800 shower tray?

Yeah the way most plumbers do. If your getting a new one just break it up. Hit it at the side with a hammer. Dont hit it on the flat as you will damage the ceiling down stairs just hit it at its side.

Alternativly get a screwdriver and prise it away from the wall.

Advertisement