Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

wooden poles to be submerged in concrete

Options
  • 13-08-2009 4:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭

Have been advised to treat the above-mentioned with bitumen based paint but I've had a look for bitumen-based paint in local builders' merchants and all they have is Bitumen Trowel Mastic or Roof seal

Which of these would be the most suitable and do you know what the drying time is as it seemed unclear on the tin and there was no mention of using it to treat timber OR does anyone have a better idea for treating the timber?

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

stand the posts in wood preserver 3 or 4 inches deep for a day or 2,then out of wood preserver drip dry, into concrete.If you want you can drill a hole into the post after the concrete has set at 45 deg down the hole fill with preserver cap with a cork (wine bottle one) top up every year or so.
    oh yea drill size same a the cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

With the greatest respect. Woodpreserver is now waterbased. The majority anyway and dipping wood in it will do nothing for a soakage type preserver When you bury it the water will just cause it to seep and wrot..

I dont actually know which product will do but what i done was bought plastic coat paint and covered the end of my post. Its down a long time. A long long time.

ps: Bitumen being tar based sounds simular to my idea

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

With the greatest respect. Woodpreserver is now waterbased. The majority anyway and dipping wood in it will do nothing for a soakage type preserver When you bury it the water will just cause it to seep and wrot..

I dont actually know which product will do but what i done was bought plastic coat paint and covered the end of my post. Its down a long time. A long long time.

ps: Bitumen being tar based sounds simular to my idea
    good point, perhaps pressure treated post plus paint as you say would be the way to go

• Registered Users Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭Yorky

Thanks, where can I get plastic coat paint from is it known as anything else?

Also, how long does it need to dry?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 lentec

Yorky wrote: »
    Have been advised to treat the above-mentioned with bitumen based paint but I've had a look for bitumen-based paint in local builders' merchants and all they have is Bitumen Trowel Mastic or Roof seal

Which of these would be the most suitable and do you know what the drying time is as it seemed unclear on the tin and there was no mention of using it to treat timber OR does anyone have a better idea for treating the timber?

i would use the roof seal personally, as it is alot more liquid than the trowel masticbut it will remain tacky for a long time.
    maybe paint on the roof seal then wrap the ends in dpc. this will stick to the roof seal and make it easier for you to handle the post. just make sure the dpc is stuck all the way around post so no water can get in...
    hope this helps.
    if the bitumin roof seal still seems a bit thick you can thin it out with white spirit..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭k123456

Pressure treated post and cresote sub.

When you fill the hole with concrete, use a trowel, to shape the concrete around the post, so that water runs away from post, U dont want any to gather around the post, nor do u want any gaps between post and concrete

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭PureBred

Check your local co-op. My local one sells bitmunen paint although last time i checked they were all out. Assured me they would be getting it in again though. I use that plus a shot of fencelife on after a few months. The bitmunen can destroy you clothes if hopping over them and the fencelife stops this.

Advertisement