Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

first year students 2009/2010 UCD

Options
  • 13-08-2009 4:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

HEY ;)
    Probably ill be a first year student in UCD this year. Hoping to do economics.(still waiting monday the 17th). Leave a comment if you might do the same :)

Secondly. What would the current UCD students suggest about the accomodation? How to look for it? What places? Should I apply for campus accomodation? I heard somewehere that capmus accomodation is very basic and for the same price there are much better places to live outside the campus. And should I start looking for a place instantly when i get the offer?

All first year students are welcome here :) Share your worries, ask questions and get the answers :D

Hope ill c ya all in september :rolleyes:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Lucet

My first choice is commerce, and hopefully I'll get it :).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

miglytia wrote: »
    HEY ;)
    Probably ill be a first year student in UCD this year. Hoping to do economics.(still waiting monday the 17th). Leave a comment if you might do the same :)

Secondly. What would the current UCD students suggest about the accomodation? How to look for it? What places? Should I apply for campus accomodation? I heard somewehere that capmus accomodation is very basic and for the same price there are much better places to live outside the campus. And should I start looking for a place instantly when i get the offer?

All first year students are welcome here :) Share your worries, ask questions and get the answers :D

Hope ill c ya all in september :rolleyes:

Okay all of the text seems to be in bold so, anyway. Regards on-campus accommodation, if you live outside of Leinster apply for it. It's great for starting of, making friends and all of that bollocks. If you live in the GDA (Greater Dublin Area: Meath, Kildare and Wicklow) forget about on-campus you will not get it if you live that close, go on this site: http://www.daft.ie and search immediately for a room, somewhere within a 2-mile radius of the college should suffice. Rents have come down approximately 15% and they appear to be still falling but it's all relative, however you should find a decent place for under €400/month.

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭IrishKnight

miglytia wrote: »
    I heard somewehere that capmus accomodation is very basic and for the same price there are much better places to live outside the campus.

About right, the cost of on campus has gone up while off campus has gone down in cost.

+1 to everything El Siglo said. Daft.ie is the best place to try to find a place. UCDSU use findahome.ie so you might want to have a look at that too. Also, remember view the place before you rent!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

HungryGiant.gif

That's the areas that would have gotten on-campus straight off the bat in 2005, and I doubt the situations gotten better. So if your home isn't on that map, don't wait around for on-campus.

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭Tayto2000

Dublin is about to be flooded with cheap apartments and other property courtesy of Mr O'Carroll's collapsing empire... should be some great improvements to rent coming up. Get a posse and a house if you can, you'll enjoy first year a lot more living with mates ;)

• Advertisement

Tayto2000 wrote: »
    Dublin is about to be flooded with cheap apartments and other property courtesy of Mr O'Carroll's collapsing empire... should be some great improvements to rent coming up. Get a posse and a house if you can, you'll enjoy first year a lot more living with mates ;)

Tayto2000 has made a rather accurate point here, regarding living with mates, I would strongly suggest it, or at least people you know that aren't how shall I say 'odd'. I'm living in a house in Maynooth for the summer with a person I didn't know, and it turns out he's an unemployed, drug addict and dealer with some serious emotional problems, and the walls are paper thin. Now that's okay after three or four years of living in holes in Dublin, but not the kind of thing that you want to deal with as a fresh faced culchie moving up to the "big shmoke". I hope I don't sound too condescending.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Neve02

Hey Guys..i also will hopefully be a first year student in September. i've been advised to look at Roebuck...To be honest i havn't a clue what i'm doing with regards to accomodation because im moving up from Cork on my own and it's more than a little daunting. Any1 else in the same boat??

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Neve02 wrote: »
    Hey Guys..i also will hopefully be a first year student in September. i've been advised to look at Roebuck...To be honest i havn't a clue what i'm doing with regards to accomodation because im moving up from Cork on my own and it's more than a little daunting. Any1 else in the same boat??

Call the UCD Students Union and ask to speak to the accomodations and employment officer. They will hook you up. I dont know who it is this year but last years was very good.

Grimes wrote: »
    Call the UCD Students Union and ask to speak to the accomodations and employment officer. They will hook you up. I dont know who it is this year but last years was very good.

Thanks appreciate it!:D

I think its still Dani Pender. Have you applied for res. Its full of Cork people

• Advertisement

Res??

Res??

Res = Residences; http://www.ucd.ie/residences/

:)okay sorry..lol..:DYa im thinking of it but i cant apply until i've accepted my offer...thanks for your help!!

If you are from Cork you will get res no problem

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

Raphael wrote: »
    HungryGiant.gif

That's the areas that would have gotten on-campus straight off the bat in 2005, and I doubt the situations gotten better. So if your home isn't on that map, don't wait around for on-campus.

Cavan people always get accommodation that maps is not correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

I think its still Dani Pender. Have you applied for res. Its full of Cork people

It's Dave Jones this year, a mate of mine actually!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 RubberEndz

If you're going into first year your choices will be either Merville, Belgrove or Roebuck. My advice is to apply for your accommodation IMMEDIATELY after accepting your course - you will be given details on when you are allowed to apply, the date and time will be different for different people depending on when they accept.

Roebuck is considerably more expensive but you get what you pay for
    - bigger room
    - en suite (toilet and shower)
    - fancier kitchen - one draw back though, there's no oven!
    - security works differently there, you have cards which let you in instead of keys. A drawback of this is that you can't get your keys copied in case you lose them and the fine for losing your card is pretty hefty.
    - Roebuck is the furthest res (residence) from the main campus area, but if you end up doing Commerce you'll be spending alot of time in the Quinn building which is the closest at that end. The Arts Block (Newman building) isn't much further, you'll be there too.
    - you'll be sharing with about 5/6 people, I think???

Merville

- 4 rooms to each apartment
    - 2 bathrooms
    - rooms smaller than Roebuck
    - pay electricity by card which you get from the centra at the entrance to the res, but always keep a spare one because they tend to run out of them in the shop. I was in Merville 2 years ago and spent many a night with no electricity!

Belgrove

- closest to campus
    - 3 bedrooms in each. 1 drawback is that the rooms can be of different sizes so you could end up with a big one or a small one.
    - 1 bathroom (with a bath!) and 1 shower room
    - known to be a bit of a shanty but it's good craic
    - electricity paid by bill, you pay 3 times a year (at the AIB on the Clonskeagh entrance - other side of campus, so annoying!) and the last installment comes out of your deposit (which is like 350 euro.)

I've lived in Merville and in Belgrove (don't ask how I managed that one ;))
    and to be honest I'm glad to be out of campus for this coming year. They can be VERY strict on the rules - no overnight guests (!!!!) no parties (!!!!) no guests after 11pm (!!!!) amongst other things so you really do get treated like a child.

They will be especially strict during the first few weeks and around exam time, and of course the last days of term.

They have also put up security gates which will require you to produce your student card upon entry between 11pm and 8am (not sure of those times) so it'll be pretty difficult to smuggle your mates in!!

There are laundry facilities in each of the res too, unless they've put it up it's 3 euro to wash and 1.50 to tumble dry.

It is an amazing way to meet other first years though but if you ONLY want to study then you'll find it hard to get peace and quiet every time you want it!

My advice is to befriend the RAs straight away (They are the Residential Assistants - other older students that help implement the rules and report misdemeanours etc) If they catch you having a party late at night DO NOT BE A DICK! Apologise and get everyone out of there, unless of course the RA is up for a bit of fun too and wants to join in (known to happen a good bit but don't take it for granted.) You can get fined about 200 euro for allowing people to party in your apartment, but remember to always appeal this if you do. Be apologetic though!

Any other questions I'm happy to help, there were so many things I wish I was told when I first stayed in Res!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 IxM

Map And information dont seem to apply as much anymore for campus accomadation. Myself and 3 other friends from Louth (within a Hours drive to Dublin city centre)all got accomadation this year in Merville and Belgrove. Also we had a spare room in our apartment in Merville as did others cause there wasnt enough people interested, we ended up having a 2nd year move in after Christmas.
    Try On Campus for youre first year anyway. Everyone I know including myself had to look outside of campus this year and we all had to settle for 12 month leases instead of the 9 month you'd get on campus.
    Craics great as well there :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

Even though I am here 3 years I will be a first year. The first year of my postgraduate:)

Even though I am here 3 years I will be a first year. The first year of my postgraduate:)

So instead of this kind of first year, you're this kind of first year!:pac:*

*Grabs coat...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭ya-ba-da-ba-doo

im doind SCIENCE woop woop:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Extrasupervery

The whole not having guests/being treated like a child thing sounds a bit ****.

Does that mean my sister can't crash for a night? (Not that I've planned slumbers, just for an example.)

Does that mean my sister can't crash for a night? (Not that I've planned slumbers, just for an example.)

What they don't know won't hurt them...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Extrasupervery

This gate system sounds a bit much though. I won't be sneaking imigrants out of Mexico.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

El Siglo wrote: »
    So instead of this kind of first year, you're this kind of first year!:pac:*

*Grabs coat...

I am an arts student. So I wont be wearing a white coat :)

Jev/N wrote: »
    It's Dave Jones this year, a mate of mine actually!

Steal his locker until he finds you a gaff.

I am an arts student. So I wont be wearing a white coat :)

More like a tesco shirt

• Registered Users Posts: 27 mops

yep moving up from kerry on my own!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 861 ✭✭✭KeyLimePie

More like a tesco shirt

as a future arts student i take offence to that. it's not like DIT or anything..

• Advertisement

KeyLimePie wrote: »
    as a future arts student i take offence to that. it's not like DIT or anything..

As a past arts undergraduate and postgraduate student learned not to take offence at it :p

Advertisement