Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

first year students 2009/2010 UCD

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 sarahwalsh789

Neve02 wrote: »
    How far is it out of interest??

Not sure exactly, from what I can see on the map of the 3 places 1st years can stay on campus its the furthest away from the Health Sciences Building but it cant be that far really, it is still on campus! I saw one review of Merville saying it was a 15 min walk so it cant be much more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Neve02

Not sure exactly, from what I can see on the map of the 3 places 1st years can stay on campus its the furthest away from the Health Sciences Building but it cant be that far really, it is still on campus! I saw one review of Merville saying it was a 15 min walk so it cant be much more.
    Ya true!!!no harm a bit of exercise neway...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 super-split

Im also doing radiography and travelling up from cork on my own!! Good to see we're all in the same boat!! Think im going to stay in Roebuck aswell....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

Gah, why did i have to be born in Wicklow??? Somehow my brother got on campus for first year.. hoping that i perform the same miracle :P

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭MissRealist

Gah, why did i have to be born in Wicklow??? Somehow my brother got on campus for first year.. hoping that i perform the same miracle :P

I'm relying on the idea that if I say i'm from Kells the automatic thought'll be small town Ireland:P:D:P:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13 mhogan101

It's all chance you may or may not be happy with your first yrs accommodation but you'll get to know Dublin as time goes on so it's best not to sign more than a 6 month contract...
    It's a tenants market at the moment so you should definitely negotiate with the potential landlord.
    Good Luck in your first yr of college:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

How far is it out of interest??

Roebuck is about 2 minutes away from Merville so I wouldn't let that sway you! They are both 10-15 mins walk from health sciences building. Roebuck is much nicer, although Merville has been done up over the summer so it's not the kip it once was!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

I am from Wicklow and I got on campus accommodation in UCD last year. Just depends on luck really, some years you might get it.

Were you in first year by any chance?
    Anyone read the Financial Section in todays Irish Times? If not, read this now.
    Rents drop 17% over 12 months

LAURA SLATTERY

RENTS HAVE dropped by an average of 17 per cent over the past 12 months, with a record number of available rental properties bringing the average national rent down to €800, according to property website Daft.ie.

The Daft.ie rental survey for the second quarter of 2009 shows that rents across all major cities continued to plummet, with the supply of properties to rent peaking in July.

Rents in Dublin fell by up to 7 per cent over the second three months of the year compared to the first quarter, while rents in Cork and Limerick fell 5 per cent over the same period.

Ronan Lyons, economist at Daft.ie, said the total number of properties available to rent at any one time had risen steadily on the website over the past two years and hit a record 24,000 last month – three times the seasonal average. “As landlords compete for tenants in a market where supply exceeds demand, these falls in rents are to be expected,” Mr Lyons said.

Since the peak, the number of properties available to rent has dropped back slightly, which Mr Lyons said could ease downward pressure on rents.

Buy-to-let investors, many of whom are in negative equity on their properties, may still find it difficult to secure rental income due to the intense competition for tenants. On August 1st, 2007, Daft.ie advertised 6,200 properties that were available to rent nationwide.

On August 1st, 2009, that number was 23,400 properties – almost four times as many.

The prices paid by tenants for accommodation has dropped every month since early 2008.

In early 2008, the average rent in Dublin was more than €1,300, but by July 2009 that had fallen to just over €1,000. Cork has seen a similar 20 per cent fall, with the average rent in the city now below €850.

Across the State, rents are typically 15 to 20 per cent below their peak, with urban areas experiencing the greatest percentage falls. In rural parts of the State such as Kerry and Donegal, the fall in average rents has been closer to 10 per cent.

Mr Lyons said that, while it was clear supply issues were dragging rents down, there was evidence that short-run pressures on investors at the top end of the property market were forcing them to slash rents.

Areas that have experienced the sharpest decreases in asking prices, such as south Co Dublin, have recorded bigger rent reductions than regions such as Munster and Connacht, despite a smaller increase in supply.

So, if you're budgeting this year, it might be worth while to knock the on-campus accommodation on the head and shop around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Nurkmiester

Im also doing radiography and travelling up from cork on my own!! Good to see we're all in the same boat!! Think im going to stay in Roebuck aswell....
    Also heading up for Radiography on my own... 4m Galway. Really looking forward to gettin up there, but not knowing anyone, its kinda nerveracking!:cool::cool: Roebuck is the place to be?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

The whole not having guests/being treated like a child thing sounds a bit ****.

Does that mean my sister can't crash for a night? (Not that I've planned slumbers, just for an example.)

I first girl you think of bringing back is your sister?

For shame.:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Lucet

Did you got student pack from UCD? I only got one from New ERA..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Neve02

Lucet wrote: »
    Did you got student pack from UCD? I only got one from New ERA..
    i didnt get mine yet neway!:(

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Lucet

i didnt get mine yet neway!:(

Well, maybe we'll get one tomorrow morning :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I got my student pack this morning - it consisted of the BA Degree Guide and the Welcome to UCD booklet. I was expecting more tbh. I assume they'll send out more information about Orientation, etc, next week?

I was able to register all my personal details online as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

El Siglo wrote: »
    Were you in first year by any chance?
    Anyone read the Financial Section in todays Irish Times? If not, read this now.

So, if you're budgeting this year, it might be worth while to knock the on-campus accommodation on the head and shop around.

Well I was a postgrad this year so slightly different kettle of fish. I was in Glenomena with final years and postgrads, but I do know of people from Wicklow who have lived on campus in first, second and third year so it can happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭bythewoods

Is anyone else around these parts doing Medicine in UCD this year?

Anyway, yeah, I got a letter from them earlier. Didn't really tell me an awful lot, I just need to get Garda Vetted and stuff like that.

Apparently we're starting on August 31st?
    So soon.
    Effort of finding somewhere to live before then...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Extrasupervery

I first girl you think of bringing back is your sister?

For shame.:p
    She wants to visit, says she'll miss me awfully. I'm a girl too...don't bring many other girls home.

bythewoods wrote: »
    Is anyone else around these parts doing Medicine in UCD this year?

Anyway, yeah, I got a letter from them earlier. Didn't really tell me an awful lot, I just need to get Garda Vetted and stuff like that.

Apparently we're starting on August 31st?
    So soon.
    Effort of finding somewhere to live before then...

Apparently us engineers are starting on the 2nd of Sept, 3 day orientation, ie. drinking.

Might as well get wasted as soon as i can seeing as i'm gonna be stuck in the books all year :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Hey!

Anyone headin to do Climate and earth system science? :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Gerald O

cool..its good 2 know im not on my own!!:D
    Any 1 doing radiography???
    Christ On campus sounds strict!!

Indeed I am. Although Im a returning 1st year. Completed year 1 of Pharmacology, got offered this and just couldn't resist^^

It's a job I want at the end of this, pity I didn't make the mistake last year>.<

Anyway, can't wait to meet you:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭munchie14

Apparently us engineers are starting on the 2nd of Sept, 3 day orientation, ie. drinking.

Might as well get wasted as soon as i can seeing as i'm gonna be stuck in the books all year :D

did you recieve any extra info on your course,,i just got the book thingy.
    im doing mechanical ,,what bout you??

munchie14 wrote: »
    did you recieve any extra info on your course,,i just got the book thingy.
    im doing mechanical ,,what bout you??

Mechanical too. Ye just got the single booklet "Welcome to UCD".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭mufc4lfe

Mechanical too. Ye just got the single booklet "Welcome to UCD".
    Look at ye all with yer high points score!!!
    Well done ye studied away for the 2 years and came out with 550+ ptseek.gif
    Where do you go from there?Off to Trinity and work yer little heads off studying medicine or law for another 4/5 years and then get a highly pressure filled job that may pay well but you wont even have time to spend any of it!!!
    My L.C. 2009
    7 SUBJECTS
    4 HIGHER
    3 ORDINARY
    PASSED EVERYTHING!
    275pts cool.gif

Planning on becoming a member of An Garda Siochana(once things pick up in a few yearspacman.gif) after I complete my 3 year course in my local I.T.
    user_online.gifreport.gif progress.gifedit.gif

Actually it was 375 points for Mech Eng this year... Got 400 myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,612 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

mufc4lfe wrote: »
    Off to Trinity

Hmm chances are the majority in this board are going to UCD, but I might be wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭antomorro-sei

errlloyd wrote: »
    Hmm chances are the majority in this board are going to UCD, but I might be wrong.

LOL :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭mufc4lfe

errlloyd wrote: »
    Sorry errlloyd but that was not very funny man:rolleyes:.You didn't seem to grasp my post fully,by saying Trinity I just picked the most prestigous and well known Uni in the country.My comment goes for all those students going to UCD,UL,UCC etc.So if you cant respond to my post in a wothwhile manner then don't bother.
    Regards.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭_JOE_

Sorry errlloyd but that was not very funny man:rolleyes:.You didn't seem to grasp my post fully,by saying Trinity I just picked the most prestigous and well known Uni in the country.My comment goes for all those students going to UCD,UL,UCC etc.So if you cant respond to my post in a wothwhile manner then don't bother.
    Regards.:rolleyes:

I would expect the next intake of An Garda siochana to have the highest number of applicants in years...you'll find yourself competing with people with qualifications that surpass the "local IT" including solicitors, engineers, civil servants out of work and those with many years experience...so if i were you i'd get my thinking cap on and drop the attitude...

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭leesmom

Where do you go from there?Off to Trinity and work yer little heads off studying medicine or law for another 4/5 years and then get a highly pressure filled job that may pay well but you wont even have time to spend any of it!!!
    My L.C. 2009
    7 SUBJECTS
    4 HIGHER
    3 ORDINARY
    PASSED EVERYTHING!
    275pts cool.gif

Planning on becoming a member of An Garda Siochana(once things pick up in a few yearspacman.gif) after I complete my 3 year course in my local I.T.
    user_online.gifreport.gif progress.gifedit.gif
    well arent you the ****:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Life is tough, I'm sure we'll just about manage.

Best of luck, now toddle along, off to your IT :)

Advertisement