Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Whats your favourite Bus?

• 13-08-2009 4:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭

We can't leave Dublin Bus out of all this transport spotting :D

As a kid going to primary school we used to have to put up with the leyland Titans on the 7A & 8 routes, very rarely we would see an Atlantian. If we saw one coming the opposite direction on the way home from school we would wait for up to an hour to get on these "New Busses" .

I think the Enviro 400 is the nicest looking of the current DB fleet. http://www.dublinbus.ie/en/About-Us/Dublin-Bus-Fleet/

2002_0706_150643AA.jpg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭unwyse

bertie the bus!!! :D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,523 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

The signle decker Daf's the were labeled as City Swifts and also ran the 111 for years, regged around 94 iirc.

EDIT: And the Smarties bus:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,954 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭kenon

I like the older buses...

KD1%20Phoenix%20Park%20300690.jpg

KD23%20151296.jpg

D637%20D699%20241295.jpg

5/6 a side football

Coolmine Sports Centre - Wednesdays - 8pm

PM me for a game

Thread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

AEC Regent III with Park Royal bodywork

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,523 ✭✭✭✭Victor

kenon wrote: »
    I like the older buses...
    KD23%20151296.jpg

D637%20D699%20241295.jpg

Fresh from the Tallaght run eh?
    :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Sean9015

As long as it is on time, clean and comfortble I couldn't give a flying ****

;)

Sean9015 wrote: »
    As long as it is on time, clean and comfortble I couldn't give a flying ****

;)

I'm not sure I've ever been on a bus that managed all three at once

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭tara666

u know i dont think i have one....is there some thing wrong with me? lol:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭angel01

kenon, those green buses bring back memories! forgot about them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

angel01 wrote: »
    kenon, those green buses bring back memories! forgot about them!

The Brown ones before them were puke :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭angel01

lol I don't remember them :o

I don't remember them either...

5/6 a side football

PM me for a game

Thread

Victor wrote: »

That was my favorite childhood film.

I was obsessed with becoming a busman when I was a kid.

It didn't work out though... :D

5/6 a side football

PM me for a game

Thread

kenon wrote: »
    I don't remember them either...
    Here?

Dose anyone remember the official launch of the Van Hool Mc Ardle? It broke down in front of the press, then the Champaign bottle refused to break. :D

2092333956_90d5a2ec0c.jpg?v=0

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 maladroit

Here?

Dose anyone remember the official launch of the Van Hool Mc Ardle? It broke down in front of the press, then the Champaign bottle refused to break. :D

No, you have the wrong era.

It was the Bombardier launch that had the famous string of disasters, as seen in this RTE News clip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oK46FF4F5T4

First the bottle wouldn't smash, then when it did it managed to cut the face of the politician and drench his good suit.

Then the bus broke down on the way to the official reception.

M

maladroit wrote: »
    No, you have the wrong era.

It was the Bombardier launch that had the famous string of disasters, as seen in this RTE News clip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oK46FF4F5T4

First the bottle wouldn't smash, then when it did it managed to cut the face of the politician and drench his good suit.

Then the bus broke down on the way to the official reception.

M
    Appologies to Mc Ardle :p

What busses used to whistle?

During the 70ies there was a mechanical problem that used to make busses whistle when they changed up through the gears, dose anyone remember? It was sorted out promptly after,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,095 ✭✭✭SeanW

One that's about to be replaced with a tram.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Ernest

I do not have a favourate bus but I don't like:
    (1) the EV ( the newish one with hang-ong handles up the front ) because the uphostery is hard and unpleasant to sit on
    (2) the older buses with sliding windows that get stuck closed.

I have to say that the current Yellow livery of Dublin Bus is very nice and distinctive. I wish someone in Bus Eireann might take note - their country buses don't seem to have been updated for about thirty years and still have the same boring wine colour scheme with the same witless image of a dog not actually a Greyhound but....

• Advertisement

Ernest wrote: »
    I wish someone in Bus Eireann might take note - their country buses don't seem to have been updated for about thirty years and still have the same boring wine colour scheme with the same witless image of a dog not actually a Greyhound but....
    At least Bus Eireann don't waste valuable taxpayers money giving their busses a new livery every five years :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Zoney

The original Bus Éireann coach livery is surely 20 years old max, they changed the font around 2000 or so, and then changed the stripes to waves about 5 years ago (photo).

Now this has been further modified to have red at the bottom part of the bus with a number of red/orange waves from the wheel arches, a reasonably modern-looking design if not particularly imaginative (and there is something to be said for colour-scheme continuity). Link to recent bus photo on BÉ website.

I agree it's not the most interesting colour scheme, but it's fairly inoffensive and the recent redesign spruces it up quite a bit. Personally I'd like to see dark green and white. I know we don't have to have everything green just because it's Ireland, but especially when so many visitors to Ireland rely on the Bus Éireann network it would be nice if the buses were identifiably Irish-looking.

I don't like the Dublin Bus colour scheme - it's brash, obtrusive and "toy town"-esque. Mind you, fairly appropriate for the Celtic Tiger era I guess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

Has to be the London Routemaster ( I grew up in London )

If the bus was stopped in traffic you could just get off and walk, and with the conductor there was little trouble, and no delays while people fiddled around looking for change.

Didn't Dublin bus use a similar bus ?

Wasn't the latest DB colours put on in anticipation of competition to make the busses stand out and be as easily identifiable as possible?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭KC61

Wasn't the latest DB colours put on in anticipation of competition to make the busses stand out and be as easily identifiable as possible?

The yellow bus stops arose from discussions with groups representing people with visual impairments, and the livery followed on from this. It was forming part of Dublin Bus' commitment to accessibility.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭westtip

A london double decker with the open platform can't remember the name but sure the bus spotters out there will have some old photos to post up but frankly I couldn't give a tu'penny foook

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭KC61

At least Bus Eireann don't waste valuable taxpayers money giving their busses a new livery every five years :p

Any changes in livery have always been applied as part of the normal repainting cycle or on new deliveries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

I have a soft spot for the old vintage green Leyland double deckers ,60/70s era .There was something charming about those old bus's .

I remember as a kid being on one of the last to be used , in the early 70s .

But today I dont need a bus as I have a lift organised at 8.00 :)

Advertisement