Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grant? anyone hear yet?

Options
  • 13-08-2009 4:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭

Just wondering if anyone has had a reply re their grant application yet - I'm due to start in a couple of weeks and don't have the registration funds! :confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭Trish2007

I only posted my grant application on tuesday and had a phonecall yesterday about it. They were just querying some of the information so Im hoping it wont take 3weeks to process it now because I dont have the money either. This was Limerick county vec

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,674 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Nope. I expect I'll probably have to foot the registration bill myself. Or maybe the college will wait. Anyone have any experience with UCD in this regard?

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭amtaxi

I'm starting in UCD also - I emailed them to ask about this as KKC told me initially that it could be October, this was their reply:

All students pay the student levy and if you will be in receipt of a grant you will be expected to show your grant offer letter in October to the Fees Office. The grant authority will cover the registration charge.

However I understand that until this is done you do not get student card and will not have access to services without one i.e. library

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,674 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

amtaxi wrote: »
    ]However I understand that until this is done you do not get student card and will not have access to services without one i.e. library
    Ah crap. The admissions desk would probably still let us in but we wouldn't be able to get books out. But there's no way I'd be able to go a month like this. Plus, no student card means no travel card means full bus fare.

I guess I'll have to pay it. Anyone know any nice loan sharks? :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 isuppose25

If I have to pay the 1500 in sept, Does anyone know how long it takes to get the registration money back if you havn't received a letter from your grant authority?

Do colleges give students a chance to get sorted out with various forms and documents required for the grant application?

• Advertisement

isuppose25 wrote: »
    If I have to pay the 1500 in sept, Does anyone know how long it takes to get the registration money back if you havn't received a letter from your grant authority?
    I'd like to know this too. But given how eh, efficient they are at processing the grants in the first place, I'd say - a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭amtaxi

According to KKC you get your registration fee back with your first installment cheque sometime in Oct

amtaxi wrote: »
    According to KKC you get your registration fee back with your first installment cheque sometime in Oct

Well thats not too long to wait i suppose, is anyone else finding the whole grant application really annoying and a big pile of hassle?

I just came across this on studentfinances.ie. I got a bit of a fright:

http://www.studentfinance.ie/mp9386/undergraduate-courses-of-not-less-than-two-years-duration-in-colleges-in-list-1/index.html
    Students enrolling in undergraduate courses will be charged a Student Services Fee for each year of the course. This charge is separate from tuition fees. It is possible, if you meet the qualifying criteria, to have the Student Services Charge paid on your behalf or refunded to you (up to a current maximum of €825) through the maintenance grant schemes.
    €825 is what the registration fee was 2007 so I guess they just forgot to update this bit... for two years in a row... I hope. :o
    is anyone else finding the whole grant application really annoying and a big pile of hassle?
    Yeah, it's a pain. I sent mine away over a week ago. I'm terrified I'm gonna wake up one morning and find they've sent it back because I missed something.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭ayapatrick

Yeah, it's a pain. I sent mine away over a week ago. I'm terrified I'm gonna wake up one morning and find they've sent it back because I missed something.

after putting it of till now, i only started filing this morning!:eek: really annoying!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭KittyeeTrix

Do colleges give students a chance to get sorted out with various forms and documents required for the grant application?

I paid the registration fee last year in September and I didn't get it back until the following April. This was with the Galway council:mad:

No way in hell am I paying it this year and it will take even longer due to the higher numbers availing of adult education

Take what they say in these Councils with a pinch of salt.
    I had my application in since Early july last year and paid the reg fee when I registered in Late August I think it was, but still had to wait almost 8 months to be re-imbursed.... even though I got my 1st grant installment in October and the 2nd one in January!!!!!!
    I have no idea why it took sooooo long to be given back the reg fee but as far as I know it was the same for everyone else.....
    Tread carefully especially if ye are borrowing it from someone i.e a family member and have promised it back to them when it comes with your 1st installment....

I paid the registration fee last year in September and I didn't get it back until the following April. This was with the Galway council:mad:

No way in hell am I paying it this year and it will take even longer due to the higher numbers availing of adult education

Take what they say in these Councils with a pinch of salt.
    I had my application in since Early july last year and paid the reg fee when I registered in Late August I think it was, but still had to wait almost 8 months to be re-imbursed.... even though I got my 1st grant installment in October and the 2nd one in January!!!!!!
    I have no idea why it took sooooo long to be given back the reg fee but as far as I know it was the same for everyone else.....
    Tread carefully especially if ye are borrowing it from someone i.e a family member and have promised it back to them when it comes with your 1st installment....

Hi, OMG 8 months is way too long to have to wait, i couldn't afford to be hanging around for it for that length,.

Do you know when you got a letter from the council last year stating that you were approved for the grant? was it early/mid september, or was it even later?

Why dont the colleges delay the payment date to maybe early/mid october? this would give the vec's a chance to process all applications and let people know one way or the other.

How are payments issued? is it through a cheque via the bursers office or do the pay direct into bank accounts?

OH the joys of going back to college!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭KittyeeTrix

Hi, OMG 8 months is way too long to have to wait, i couldn't afford to be hanging around for it for that length,.

Do you know when you got a letter from the council last year stating that you were approved for the grant? was it early/mid september, or was it even later?

Why dont the colleges delay the payment date to maybe early/mid october? this would give the vec's a chance to process all applications and let people know one way or the other.

How are payments issued? is it through a cheque via the bursers office or do the pay direct into bank accounts?

OH the joys of going back to college!!!

If I remember correctly I got a letter sometime in late Sept......
    The grant is paid by cheque and you collect it in the college. NUIG have a page on their website which is updated to show which Councils grants are ready to be collected. You just check that periodically during October and then head up with your id to sign for it....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭Verbal_Kint

i put mine into galway county council 2 weeks ago and asked in the office today when i can expect to hear back and they told me not to expect it before i have to start college. this is a balls i was hoping to use the grant application letter to get a grant advance from the bank if they even do those anymore but at least its a sort of collateral.

i put mine into galway county council 2 weeks ago and asked in the office today when i can expect to hear back and they told me not to expect it before i have to start college. this is a balls i was hoping to use the grant application letter to get a grant advance from the bank if they even do those anymore but at least its a sort of collateral.

last year i was dossin for the year so i done a plc and i got a grant for it, found the letter i got today to say i got it and it was october dated. and i had it in early! im goin sendin it in tomorrow for this year. id say all payments wont be made until october?

I'll be very surprised if I hear anything before late-September. I was left waiting about two months for a PLC grant a few years ago as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 arlone

got it last week, think Dublin City Council are pretty good to get back to you pre-registration.This year the grants will be paid directly into your bank account.

arlone wrote: »
    got it last week, think Dublin City Council are pretty good to get back to you pre-registration.This year the grants will be paid directly into your bank account.

i got a grant for a plc last year and it was paid into my account?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 boobox

Heard Two days ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭christina_x

omg, im actually thinking i might not get to college...
    i need to know before i go to college that i have the grant, i cant wait until october...
    i had my grant form in a few days after i recieved it in the post, and am sending the form away tomorrow that says i got my offer.
    So see for the registration fee, do we pay that and then get it back?
    i really hope i hear from the VEC before that... im a twin, double rent, double fees, i might be the cause of my daddys heart attack :(

• Advertisement

keep ringing them and tell them your situation. it hasn't worked for me yet but it cant hurt. they may process it to keep you quiet:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭girlbiker

Boobox did you hear you got accepted? I have only got a letter saying I have proceeded to the next stage...

First Im hearing of a letter saying you proceed to next stage.

What county council is that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭dotsflan

i got a letter to say i got it!!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Knifey Spoony

girlbiker, how long were waiting before you got the letter that you have progressed to the next stage? I am reapplying for the grant this year and it will be four weeks this week since i have sent the form off and i have heard nothing back. Just wondering are they really slow acknowledge that they have got the form? I know last year it took them two weeks to acknowledge it.

Umm the letter I recieved was dated August 8th aroundabouts and I sent off all the forms about two weeks before that...

Its Dublin City Council, it basically was a reference number in case I wanted any info on my application progressing..

I hope there is good news waiting for me at home when I get there.

what council did you just get the acceptance letter from?

it would be better if everyone who is giving news would also include what county council they are talking about.

what council did you just get the acceptance letter from?

it would be better if everyone who is giving news would also include what county council they are talking about.

Shhhhhhh

I agree though.:)

I'll keep it down:

So it just seems to be Dublin thats sending out acceptance letters?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭ontour

I have applied four weeks ago tommorrow, haven't recieved anything in the post from them yet. Heres hoping I hear something this week. It really makes me wonder how long the people who are applying around now will have to wait.

Advertisement