Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grant? anyone hear yet?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭procure11

My friend applied for the grant at Cork county council,he phoned them yesterday to ask about the status of his application and he got a shock...apparently they have not opened any application at all because they are waiting for the deadline-Aug 31 after which they would start dealing with applications in chronological order.

That is quite unfortunate considering the fact that some county councils started dealing with applications early august.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

i rang my county council and they said there is no rush to get them in by the 31st. they said they are going to take app's until october.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭amtaxi

Kildare County Council not processing applications until September also!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭Verbal_Kint

i applied as independent mature. bit of a problem with the proof of address.

if my application is refused because of this can i apply as a dependent? What if this happens (Galway CoCo) after the deadline which might be strict here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭TanG411

I hope to hand in mine on the deadline date.

I don't taking out a loan and paying the registration fees that way. So long as I'm liable for the grant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45 candysapple

Bethm24, I use to process applications in Dublin City and think you might have been misinformed or misunderstood what they requested. It's not that you need an ESB bill you just need something to indicate you don't live at your dads address and have been in the council district for over a year. If you are employed a letter from your employer along with other documents (you can request copies of the things you have shredded). If you get rent receipts you could bring these together with your landlord and a utility bill in their name to a peace commissioner in your area and get them to sign a proof of residence document. The whole process isn't to make it difficult for applicants, its to stop people claiming they don't live at home (when they do) and getting a grant because of it.

Lots of LA and VECs take applications until Oct/Nov so you could still get paperwork together especially as you can appeal any decision thats given.

thats optimistic. well i have my affidavit in and expecting a letter next week. at this stage once i get the letter im moving to maynooth so its the only thing holding me up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭Byron85

procure11 wrote: »
    My friend applied for the grant at Cork county council,he phoned them yesterday to ask about the status of his application and he got a shock...apparently they have not opened any application at all because they are waiting for the deadline-Aug 31 after which they would start dealing with applications in chronological order.

That is quite unfortunate considering the fact that some county councils started dealing with applications early august.

Mine was sent to the City Council in city hall and it was sent back to me about 3 weeks ago as I did not provide enough proof of residence as an independent mature student. I sent it back in two weeks ago on Tuesday and I haven't heard back from them so it seems everything is in order.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Elfinamsterdam

Left in the application for on 5th Aug
    Recieved my original degree parchment back on 7th (its a postgrad I'm going for)
    Rang on 18th Aug and they said they hadnt begun processing as the person involved would be on holidays for that week (the week the CAO offers came out - great timing) but they would start the next week (24-28th)
    Got back all my documentation back on 26th (with no other note)
    Will call again on Wednesday 2nd Sept if I havent heard more...

My CoCo is Westmeath....

If anyone has had anymore word back from them let me know?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 newyorkdoll

Anyone hear anything from mayo county council? Or does anyone have any experience with them....like how long does it take them to make payments?

Sent in the application on the 30th July.....actually handed it in the door personally to them!

I called the last day and they just gave me a student reference number and would not tell me whether I was eligible for it or not.

Do they not understand its a total nightmare for us waiting and broke......sooo annoying!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭Medievalist

Rang Dublin City Council today. They said it would take 6 - 8 weeks to hear back about it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 jellyt

Did anyone send original documents to their council ? I have a letter saying my grant is awarded (pending a registration letter from the college) , but Haven t received my docs back ! I wonder will I ever see my Birth cert again ! Maybe If I send a nicely worded letter with an SAE I might be able to retrieve it !

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭amtaxi

jellyt wrote: »
    Did anyone send original documents to their council ? I have a letter saying my grant is awarded (pending a registration letter from the college) , but Haven t received my docs back ! I wonder will I ever see my Birth cert again ! Maybe If I send a nicely worded letter with an SAE I might be able to retrieve it !

Did you send photocopies with all your original documents? If not they will keep the originals!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭girlbiker

amtaxi wrote: »
    Did you send photocopies with all your original documents? If not they will keep the originals!

What??! Oh ffs.

it was said on the application to send copies and SAE. If you go into the council early when there is not queue with copies they might get them for you. easier than trying to get new originals.

Yes, thats a good idea, I'm tired of this grant business - I wish I was a billionaire. :( Have you heard yet? I've moved house since so I keep having to wander over to my old house to check.

i moved too and the landlady lives in dublin, house is in galway and its empty now. right across the road and a hassle to get to check mail.

i got the grant anyway. didnt get the letter yet but rang the council and they told me it was awarded and now have to get a BTEA letter to see what level of grant I will receive.

Good for you :D, I'll give them a ring in tommorrow and see what the story is. I'm sure I'll get it, the question is will it be in time to not have to pay fees! Fingers crossed.

your looking at about 4/5 weeks from when you put it in so it should be in time for the reg fee. enjoy college.

Hopefully! And you too :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

i moved too and the landlady lives in dublin, house is in galway and its empty now. right across the road and a hassle to get to check mail.

i got the grant anyway. didnt get the letter yet but rang the council and they told me it was awarded and now have to get a BTEA letter to see what level of grant I will receive.

why dont you set up a postal re-direct?

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Bobon

VK - Just wondering why do you have to get a BTEA letter to see what level of grant you will get? WHat has the BTEA got to do with it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭ontour

Bobon wrote: »
    VK - Just wondering why do you have to get a BTEA letter to see what level of grant you will get? WHat has the BTEA got to do with it?

Im wondering this too if you dont mind me asking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 jamtheman

im in the same boat, i applied 3 weeks ago, she said that i was to pay fees and i wud be refunded in jan...whos going to pay the interest on my loan that i had to beg the bank for? i wudnt be asking for the grant if i had money.

A govenment that promotes education lets me down at the last minute. to be honest i kinda expected it from this shower of asses.

and they want us to do them a favour and vote yes to lisbon,

illl be geting my oun back . illl be voting no,, mwahahahaha

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭charlie_says

Found out this morning. Been denied by Galway CC. See my thread....****ers..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 jellyt

amtaxi wrote: »

I think you are right amtaxi. I called them , and asked for my originals (may need them again , at some stage) But , they said they are inundated , and they do not have time to go copying originals, and that I should have sent copies with my originals, and an sAE.

so really, what people have to remember, when making grant applications is :

• have all documentation in order
    • copy all documentation.
    • Send the ORIGINAL AND the COPIES , and also include an SAE !

That way the grant authority can verify the authenticity of the original documents against the copies and send them back in the provided SAE. :)

and then for those who have already sent original BC it may be time to order another ... birth cert

which is 30 quid. :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 453 ✭✭pandamoanium

Well got a call from Galway City VEC yesterday saying that they had processed my application and were now waiting on a letter of course acceptance from the GCC... soooo... hopefully once I get that and send it into the VEC I'll be good to go *fingers crossed*

No word back from BTEA yet though.

They asked me in council for letter saying i am getting btea About a week ago but i got accepted for the grant in the meantime. will collect letter from other house tomorrow and can see why they are asking for letter about btea. if they have given me the full grant is there any point in dropping in the btea letter whenever it arrives. i dont know what effect it will have on the grant. has anyone heard from galway about btea?

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Bobon

I rang the citizens information bureau and they said your maintenance grant would not effect your BTEA or vice versa. Just thought i'd let you's know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭bikermartin

has anyone acceptence letter from wicklow vec yet ??

Advertisement