Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grant? anyone hear yet?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Still waiting here in Waterford, not looking good. Hope I get it, fecked otherwise :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 isuppose25

Hi all,

I GOT IT, such a relief, had to pay the 1500 last week and got the letter from grant office on friday, bummer, but i know i'll get it back, but when? will it be 2009 - somehow i doubt it.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭bethm24

Bethm24, I use to process applications in Dublin City and think you might have been misinformed or misunderstood what they requested. It's not that you need an ESB bill you just need something to indicate you don't live at your dads address and have been in the council district for over a year. If you are employed a letter from your employer along with other documents (you can request copies of the things you have shredded). If you get rent receipts you could bring these together with your landlord and a utility bill in their name to a peace commissioner in your area and get them to sign a proof of residence document. The whole process isn't to make it difficult for applicants, its to stop people claiming they don't live at home (when they do) and getting a grant because of it.

Lots of LA and VECs take applications until Oct/Nov so you could still get paperwork together especially as you can appeal any decision thats given.

thanks for that, sounds possitive, i have it sent all in now what i have so hopefully they will accept it. id like to have spoken to someone like you on the phone rather than the person i spoke to. people should not be allowed be so nasty on the phone to students who have small questions. this person i spoke to was being very abrupt and rude to me and told be plainly if i dont have an esb or gas bill in my name for the house i can forget it and will just have to go under parents income. all i had done was ring up and ask would a photocopy of my results in college be accaepted then the person proceeded to ask me nosy questions re my application ....(uncalled for as at this stage my application hadnt been sent in i was only asking a small question!)she asked ....what course i was doing, what status was i presenting my application as etc etc... i found her so rude as that is none of her business until my application was sent in. i was worried sick for 2 weeks post this phone call.people in the council (people like her, other people always nice)should learn some phone manners and stop taking their mood out on people who politely ring in to ask a question!!!! anyway as long as she is not the one making the decision i might have a chance, cause if i had listened to her, i would not even have botherd sending in an application. i was in tears getting off phone had to had to hang up so the bully would not hear me cry!!!:p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Jammyc

Got the award letter about mine on Friday from Wicklow CC.

Considering I had posted the application off mid July though and then just sent on the FA1 and CAO slip.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 misschatty

Hi all, i too just wondered if anyone had heard anything from Meath Vec re grants. Im a mature student starting my plc course tomorrow, with the intension of doing a degree next year.
    This whole money situation is just such a worry, with out the stress of startin college again included will be lucky if have'nt pulled my hair out by oct!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭truecrippler

I've been keeping contact with someone from Dun Laoghaire Rathdown Co. Council and she said she was processing it and I should receive a letter shortly. It's good to build a rapport with the people doing the job. Hope I get the full whack or I'm fooked.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭daniel91

I rang my county council on Friday and was told that i'm 183rd in the queue, meaning another 182 applications have to be processed before mines is even looked at. Its been nearly 4 weeks since i sent away my application. I was also informed theres only 1 member of staff working on the grant applications.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭Byron85

Anyone from Cork have any news?

Just back from City Hall in Cork. They said my application hasn't been processed yet and that I should have a letter in 4 to 6 weeks about my application. I resubmitted my application on the 20th of August after I was told I hadn't got enough proof of residence. I rectified that and resubmitted it. What's the point in sending in the application early if I won't even have a letter saying whether or not I got the grant untill mid October at the latest. The place must be run by monkeys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭Verbal_Kint

i know the frustration. thankfully i got mine:) just to know.. has anyone contacted their college to see if they could delay registration payment until news of grant came through?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,991 ✭✭✭DenMan

I'm getting my student overdraft increased and had to give a letter to the bank saying I was getting the grant. I rang the county council (Sligo) and they confirmed I would be getting the grant. I don't know how much though as it didn't say on the letter. Hopefully I'll have news really soon as I'm back next week. Fingers crossed.

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭angeleyes

I rang the Co. Limerick VEC today and so if anyone here is waiting to hear from them, we still have to wait another few weeks as there is a backlog! So no decisions yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

Got approved for the grant from Limerick City Council. Letter arrived this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,991 ✭✭✭DenMan

Nice one billy.

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭angeleyes

Fantastic billy - well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭amtaxi

daniel91 wrote: »
    I rang my county council on Friday and was told that i'm 183rd in the queue, meaning another 182 applications have to be processed before mines is even looked at. Its been nearly 4 weeks since i sent away my application. I was also informed theres only 1 member of staff working on the grant applications.
    Which council?

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭bethm24

Just back from City Hall in Cork. They said my application hasn't been processed yet and that I should have a letter in 4 to 6 weeks about my application. I resubmitted my application on the 20th of August after I was told I hadn't got enough proof of residence. I rectified that and resubmitted it. What's the point in sending in the application early if I won't even have a letter saying whether or not I got the grant untill mid October at the latest. The place must be run by monkeys.

Do you mind me asking you what you had origionally sent in as proof of address which they would not accept? i am anticipating the same problem :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭girlbiker

Called Dublin County Council today, my application will be another week or two to be processed ( he said not to worry about the outcome) but I wasnt, I wanted the letter so I didnt have to pay fees before registration tommorrow. I applied on the 28th July!!

Aw well AIB will come to my rescue - for a sum. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭daniel91

amtaxi wrote: »
    Which council?

Donegal.

bethm24 wrote: »
    Do you mind me asking you what you had origionally sent in as proof of address which they would not accept? i am anticipating the same problem :)

I only sent in one Chorus bill from December of 2008. When I got it back I contacted someone from the grants department to ask what would be good enough. The woman told me a chorus bill is fine but that i'd need a few old bills from on and around October of last year. So I sent in Chorus bills from August to December of 2008. She said that would be fine.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,674 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I got my acceptance letter from SDCC yesterday. However, I only got the partial rate because they overlooked some of my documentation, so I had to call them today to get it upgraded. It will be paid directly into my bank account, so I don't have the hassle of collecting the cheque from college and lodging it. Hooray!

Just showed my acceptance letter at the student desk so I don't have to pay the registration fee.

So glad that's all over with!

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭Berberis

Wicklow CC just notified my daughter about her grant today. (she rang)
    said letter will be out within a week.
    She had sent in her renewal application last week in June

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Xxhaylsxx

Anyone hear from meath county council?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭Clueless09

anyone hear from Kildare County Council yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭amtaxi

Clueless09 wrote: »
    anyone hear from Kildare County Council yet?
    No No No! Help!! Apparentley they're always last even when it comes to cheques - going to call in there next week It's over 9 weeks since I submitted my application!:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 26 misschatty

I didnt get a grant got letter today, dunno what il do not:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭Clueless09

amtaxi wrote: »
    No No No! Help!! Apparentley they're always last even when it comes to cheques - going to call in there next week It's over 9 weeks since I submitted my application!:mad:

ok not just me so amtaxi-let me know how you get on please-thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭Freckles..!

Anybody heard from Dun Laoghaire Rathdown yet?
    My whole grant application thing was so complicated cos my parents just seperated so everything is so damn complicated ... hope I done it all okay!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭truecrippler

Anybody heard from Dun Laoghaire Rathdown yet?
    My whole grant application thing was so complicated cos my parents just seperated so everything is so damn complicated ... hope I done it all okay!

Still waiting for them :(.

I'll let you know if I hear anything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,154 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

just to clarify, I've applied for a grant but it was a couple of days late so no hope of getting it soon from Fingal council, so if I pay my fees myself will I be reimbursed? Quick reply would be appreciated seeing as how I have to go to the bank before it closes ;)

Advertisement