Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grant? anyone hear yet?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Xxhaylsxx

Yep if you qualify for a grant you will get the money back :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,154 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Xxhaylsxx wrote: »
    Yep if you qualify for a grant you will get the money back :)

Cheers, now to get to the bank...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 453 ✭✭pandamoanium

Well, just got a letter in the post from the VEC... *gulp*

.... GOOD NEWS! I got the full grant! Woohooo!

Such a relief now that I know for sure!

Roll on October 15th (payday!) :pac:

Btw, this was Galway City VEC for those interested :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭Medievalist

Congrats Pandamoanium....that's great news!

DCC gave me my reference number and told me to ring again next week. Them seem quite nice about the whole thing. Fingers crossed!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

how do you find out when you get your money?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭Anna88

Congrats Pandamoanium....that's great news!

DCC gave me my reference number and told me to ring again next week. Them seem quite nice about the whole thing. Fingers crossed!

Hey Im also going to DCU nad when I talked to them they weren very nice :(
    What did they give you a reference number for do you mind me asking??
    Im absolutly terrified Ill loose my place because of stupid grant!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭crunchycorner

Anyone hear from Laois CC yet???

Anna88 wrote: »
    Hey Im also going to DCU nad when I talked to them they weren very nice :(
    What did they give you a reference number for do you mind me asking??
    Im absolutly terrified Ill loose my place because of stupid grant!!

The council seem to give every application a reference number. The woman I was talking with on the phone told me mine...makes it easier for them to check the status when I ring back next week. Here's hoping! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Carol2057

anyone hear from North Tipp cc?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

Anyone hear from Laois CC yet???

Yeh, rang the head knob this morning, they're sending the letters out this week, what day we get them I'm unsure, but I'd imagine by thursday or friday we'll have them (well I hope so!).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 cals

Has anyone who sent back their grant renewal form to Co. Dublin VEC heard anything back yet. i sent mine back at the start of August and statring to worry it will take as long as last year. When I applied in 1st year, I sent everything in just before the closing date. They then sent everything back in October because I hadn't got a utility bill even though when I dropped in the stuff they said my bankstatement and council rent statements would do! I then got a reisssuse of my ESB bill and sent everything back mid-October. I finally reaceived my first (and second) grant installment at the end of January. I really hope this doesn't happen this year..

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭bethm24

they should let us know where we stand. ive heard nothing yet, im very worried i wont get it as i dont have good enough proof of residence. i shredded alot of documents before i had realised i needed them all for the grant assessement. they must think all people keep piles of useless paper work and letters containing important details about them piled up in their homes! not all people leave letters lying around. i curse the day i bought the shredder!:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭sfhawke7w

i have been accepted on a plc course and applied for a grant, my income from 2008 is over 22k but it includes opfa is this taken into consideration, this would mean i would be entitled to the full grant which would be a relief.

sorry if this question has already been asked.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Nihilist21

bethm24 wrote: »
    they should let us know where we stand.

Ring your local council and they will give you an approximate date for when you shall receive word. I rang mine (Wexford) and told me it would be another 2 weeks, however the woman at the other end told me that I would definitely qualify.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Seanh111

Got a letter from Limerick County Council today...and iv got the full grant and registration fees so im delighted i dont have to pay that €1500!

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭raveni

Anyone heard anything from Meath vec?

I applied the 6th of august then got a letter the 25th asking for some stuff to allow my application to be processed. (I wouldn't mind but it was stuff they hadn't asked for on the app. form; my parents pps no.'s, a social welfare statement - which I'd already sent them! so I rang up and luckily I didn't need to send another, really can't remember what else but something I had to post them) I sent what they asked for anyway and haven't heard from them since, so I presume they have everything they need now? I'm nearly 100% sure that I'd qualify for a full grant and I really need it so I'm starting to get fairly anxious..may ring them again:mad:

Also, anyone know how much you get paid monthly and are there payments added for the start of the year, like september if I don't start getting paid til october? And how long after they send you a letter saying you qualify does it take for the payments to start?

raveni wrote: »
    Also, anyone know how much you get paid monthly and are there payments added for the start of the year, like september if I don't start getting paid til october? And how long after they send you a letter saying you qualify does it take for the payments to start?

Three payments per annum: October, February, and April (if you're lucky and they actually can do their job that is). If you're on the 'top-up' rate, you'll get additional payments about 2 to 4 weeks after the initial aforementioned installment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Wellydancer

Nihilist21 wrote: »
    Ring your local council and they will give you an approximate date for when you shall receive word. I rang mine (Wexford) and told me it would be another 2 weeks, however the woman at the other end told me that I would definitely qualify.

Hello nihilist, would me mind me asking when did you apply? I'm with wex cc also. I applied last week in august but didnt get final documents in till round the 7th. thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Nihilist21

Hello nihilist, would me mind me asking when did you apply? I'm with wex cc also. I applied last week in august but didnt get final documents in till round the 7th. thanks in advance

I had everything sent in by late August I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 blondy24

well as i'm returning as a mature student i had my grant application in very early in july.(my ref no is in the 20's) i phoned two weeks ago in the hope i wouldn't have to pay the registration fee but the girl in d council offices said it was processed but was awaiting her supervisors approval ,to go ahead pay registration and i'd hear something in next two weeks.

so i paid the fees and phoned again today out of curiosity, got a different person she said they were so busy processing the people returning to college into second yr etc's applications that my application had been received but not processed and i should not expect a letter until late oct/november because it is my first time applying for the grant. she didn't tell me if i had been granted anything whereas the first girl pretty much implied i had nothing to worry about just to pay the fee's and wait for the refund. !! hope that helps anyone waiting from cork county council!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭bethm24

why does it take so long to know if your getting it? i dont want to ring in case they eat my head off like last time...i dont want to jinx it......:p:(i have a bad feeling though

Here's my story for today. I got my letter today, need it to register. I was in work so my brother opened the post, saw the letter and saw that it had the wrong fecking college on it! I had put down in my application: University of Dublin, Trinity College. However the foreign person in the council office (yes it was a foreign person as I found out later) had put down University College Dublin, needless to say it involved a lot of hair pulling and eventually I managed to get the right form. The lesson is KISS: Keep It Simple Stupid!;) Don't expect miracles, quadruple check every bit of correspondence between you and the council, it's worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭brownacid

El Siglo wrote: »
    Here's my story for today. I got my letter today, need it to register. I was in work so my brother opened the post, saw the letter and saw that it had the wrong fecking college on it! I had put down in my application: University of Dublin, Trinity College. However the foreign person in the council office (yes it was a foreign person as I found out later) had put down University College Dublin, needless to say it involved a lot of hair pulling and eventually I managed to get the right form. The lesson is KISS: Keep It Simple Stupid!;) Don't expect miracles, quadruple check every bit of correspondence between you and the council, it's worth it.

Id put that down as your fault, no one really calls it university of Dublin, people know as TCD so thats what you call it. Lesson learnt eh ;)

So today I recieved all my documents back from Meath CoCo but no application form, no letter saying whether I got it or refused it, just a little note saying with compliments. HAving said that I applyed for the grant with one fail on my results sheet, hoping they didn't see it but can be fixed fairly easily as new repeat results out tmw.

HOpefully I got as I haven't got 1500 for my reg, nor do my parents.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭Anna88

brownacid wrote: »
    HOpefully I got as I haven't got 1500 for my reg, nor do my parents.

I wouldn have the money for reg either so I went into my fingal county council and said plainly...

"I cant go to college without this grant" the woman looked at me and said "ah the college will understand" and I looked at her and said..."I also dont have the money to pay the fine for the reg being late." She was astonished at this info...apparently the office didn know students are being fined for late reg payment. So if you really really need this grant for REG then go in and talk with someone. I got mine that day...

For students who can afford the reg fee but are waiting on the grant, please dont go in as your in the door already, just have patients. Its the students who need this grant for reg that should get priority!

Goodluck y'all
    xx

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭brownacid

Anna88 wrote: »
    I wouldn have the money for reg either so I went into my fingal county council and said plainly...

"I cant go to college without this grant" the woman looked at me and said "ah the college will understand" and I looked at her and said..."I also dont have the money to pay the fine for the reg being late." She was astonished at this info...apparently the office didn know students are being fined for late reg payment. So if you really really need this grant for REG then go in and talk with someone. I got mine that day...

For students who can afford the reg fee but are waiting on the grant, please dont go in as your in the door already, just have patients. Its the students who need this grant for reg that should get priority!

Goodluck y'all
    xx

Hmm this is interesting, I hopefully am not working on friday so I may take a trip in to the Meath CoCo and try your ploy, I've been flat out the last few eeks or so trying to get the money together aswell as pay off some more of my loans that I had to take out last year as I was a grand over the threshold and got nothing from them.

I had the mother call up the college the other day and she was told categorically I need a letter from the council saying thatg I have the grant of they're to waive the few otherwise im liable and liable for the late few also as the council wont pay that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 blondy24

bethm24 wrote: »
    why does it take so long to know if your getting it? i dont want to ring in case they eat my head off like last time...i dont want to jinx it......:p:(i have a bad feeling though

wasn't sure if that was for me but i said i'd reply anyways... don't knowfor sure if i got it the first sounded v positive but second negative so i suppose nothing is definite till i get a letter in the post, like you said not going to ring anymore though for fear, just play the waiting game like the rest of the country now i'd say! but if it takes this long to get a letter imagine waiting for the money,torture!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭manutd4life

got a letter off dublin city council and my application for a grant was accepted as an a1 maintenance grant.

what does a1 maintenance grant mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭kenon

got a letter off dublin city council and my application for a grant was accepted as an a1 maintenance grant.

Full adjacent grant I think.

€1370.

5/6 a side football

Coolmine Sports Centre - Wednesdays - 8pm

PM me for a game

Thread

Do you mind if I ask you when you sent in your application? I haven't heard back from them yet.

Congrats on getting it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭manutd4life

sent it in around the end of august

Advertisement