Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dealing with a pound

Options
  • 13-08-2009 4:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭

Hi,first post of mine,and I've been driven to it by sheer frustration. My girlfriend and I are trying to adopt a dog from a certain pound,often mentioned on Boards. He's a Lab x GSD,and a lovely fella,we've walked him a couple of times this week. We met him on Sunday and I called the pound to explain we had filled in an adoption form,but had not specified which dog we wanted. See,the pound was fairly hectic with dog walkers and so we filled out the form while waiting to meet the dogs. The gent I was speaking to on the phone said he'd note it down for us. I asked him how he'd do that as I hadn't told him either of our names,I got the feeling he was just fobbing us off. Later that day my girlfriend rang them,she has a much better way with people then me. She was told that because he was a restricted breed he couldn't be rehomed unless he went thru a charity that rehomes dogs from that pound,and we passed a home check. So we contacted the charity to see if we could arrange a home check. They had no knowledge of this dog,and couldn't understand why the pound had said that. So the following day we visited the pound again,met with the manager and were told we could take him under certain conditions,nuetering and the restrictions that go with certain breeds.He told us the re homing officer would contact us the following morning. When she didn't,I rang the pound,and was told she's on a weeks holiday. I explained what I was calling about,and asked for the manager. He wasn't available,nor was he available that afternoon,nor today. Such a long rant,I know,but if anyone has any experience or insight dealing with (I'm sure you'l know where) this pound,we'd be grateful if you could share. It seems we're just been sent from pillar to post.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭tesslab

Hi OP. Not only do I think I know the pound you're talking about but also the dog (total knockout!). Completely understand how frustrating it can be adopting a dog. A friend of mine had the same experience adopting a dog. But she persisted with the pound for 2 weeks and eventually got him.
    Best advice I can give is keep at them. If this is the right dog for you keep calling & visiting. They will eventually see how committed you are. I really hope you get him. Also keep an eye on the Charity website as someone may come forward to foster him & you would then be able to adopt through the rescue.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭Inexile

I see a certain lab x GSD pup who has been in a pound for while has now been rehomed. Pervotheprat - were you successful in rehoming the dog or did some one else get this beauty?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭PetrovthePrat

Hi,Yea,we have that certain Lab x GSD at home an settling in. He's wrecking his bed and getting aquainted with his new surroundings. At the moment he's snoozing on the floor. Why would you want a nice soft bed to sleep in when you can chew that up and sleep on the floor?!?!!?!? We couldn't be happier,he's a dote.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭Inexile

Hi,Yea,we have that certain Lab x GSD at home an settling in. He's wrecking his bed and getting aquainted with his new surroundings. At the moment he's snoozing on the floor. Why would you want a nice soft bed to sleep in when you can chew that up and sleep on the floor?!?!!?!? We couldn't be happier,he's a dote.

Oh - thats great. As to why he is chewing up his bed thats so he can move onto yours, or the sofa or what ever else looks like a big marshmallow. Hope you have a great time with him as he looks lovely and all seemed to love him.:D

Advertisement