Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

at a dead end with pc

• 13-08-2009 5:39pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 344 ✭✭

Hi All,

Thought some brainstorming might help me!

I have a Compaq Presario SR1000, gfs family computer.

It's not getting past the Compaq splash screen, the odd time I can get into Setup but it stops responding after a few seconds. The clock will still count seconds in BIOS but the keyboard doesn't repsond.

In Setup you can see all the RAM, DVD, Hard drive. And with all these plugged out, its the same thing (doesn't get past the Compaq splash screen, the odd time I can get into Setup but it freezes and stops responding).

The only hardware that I haven't excluded from being faulty is processor and motherboard but how can I check this is the pc keeps freezing on boot?

Any suggestions as I'm lost for ideas at this stage?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭kenon

Reset the bios by removing the battery on the mobo for a couple of seconds and then replace it. See if that changes anything.

5/6 a side football

Coolmine Sports Centre - Wednesdays - 8pm

PM me for a game

Thread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 344 ✭✭EpiphoneSpecial

forgot to add that in, have done that and sometimes it gets past the splash screen but then screen goes blank after that and nothing happens.

Can you try a different hdd? Are the jumpers set correctly on the hdd?

Can you get access to one of these if you dont have a different hdd?

5/6 a side football

PM me for a game

Thread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭art

Think if I was in that situation I would unplug everything - as you said, but just to reiterate, all HDD and CD/DVD drives unplugged from data and power. All USB cables and devices unplugged. Basically, you are starting up with just a moby, memory, cpu and graphics. I'd re-set the CMOS again but, assuming you don't have a "clear CMOS" button on the board, I'd leave the battery out for hours rather than seconds (based on experience).

Can you then get into setup or do you get "beep" codes? If the latter, google them. If the former, generally there is a "safe defaults" type option available that I would switch on. I'd then disable the splash screen and disable quick boot so that you see everything as it posts. Restart and see if you get to the "no OS" warning. And then step slowly through re-connecting each bit until it breaks again.

i will try all suggestions over weekend, thanks for posting.

will let you know if i FAIL!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 339 ✭✭docmol

Have you tried a different keyboard?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭wolfric

To be honest it sounds like you're clutching at straws. The motherboard sounds like it's overheated/gone. Check out warranty asap and try switch out the motherboard and cpu.

If you're trying, make sure the computer is properly cooled down first (even if you have to get creative manually, use a ps/2 keyboard and see if there's a reset option on the bios if you can get to it fast enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 720 ✭✭✭kierank01

could be a problem with the power supply, not supplying enough power, and then the system dying.

Have you tried a different keyboard?

i havent. but with keyboard plugged out it still freezes on compaq screen.
    To be honest it sounds like you're clutching at straws. The motherboard sounds like it's overheated/gone. Check out warranty asap and try switch out the motherboard and cpu.

If you're trying, make sure the computer is properly cooled down first (even if you have to get creative manually, use a ps/2 keyboard and see if there's a reset option on the bios if you can get to it fast enough.

It's 4/5 years old, warranty gone by now. Keyboard it has now is PS/2.

i was trying to memorise the menus so i could do it quick, put not quick enough yet!
    could be a problem with the power supply, not supplying enough power, and then the system dying.

Power seems ok, as the pc doesnt die dead!! It just stops responding to input, but power is still present. ie clock ticking in BIOS

Have you tried swapping the RAM around? Leaving just one stick in...

You may need to test the RAM with memtest86 to rule out knackered RAM.

I'd say your CPU is grand and the MOBO should be fine as you can see the splash screen and its reporting the parts.

5/6 a side football

PM me for a game

Thread

• Advertisement

kenon wrote: »
    Have you tried swapping the RAM around? Leaving just one stick in...

You may need to test the RAM with memtest86 to rule out knackered RAM.

I'd say your CPU is grand and the MOBO should be fine as you can see the splash screen and its reporting the parts.

tired swapping all the RAM around, different amounts, different slots. Same result, BIOS can see all 4 sticks (256 x 2 and 512 x 2)

I'll give memtest86 a shot too.

tired swapping all the RAM around, different amounts, different slots. Same result, BIOS can see all 4 sticks (256 x 2 and 512 x 2)

I'll give memtest86 a shot too.

It's unlikely 4 sticks are all knackered so you probably dont need to run memtest on them.

5/6 a side football

PM me for a game

Thread

and bios will work without ram won't it? it just wont boot anything up after that

wolfric wrote: »
    and bios will work without ram won't it? it just wont boot anything up after that

i tried that but cant remember the exact outcome. i think with no RAM, the computer still freezes when in BIOS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭waraf

Is the HDD spinning up when you press the power button? Does it sound particularly rough?

i tried that but cant remember the exact outcome. i think with no RAM, the computer still freezes when in BIOS.

You could try a BIOS update.

Just make sure that is the correct update for your mobo.

5/6 a side football

PM me for a game

Thread

waraf wrote: »
    Is the HDD spinning up when you press the power button? Does it sound particularly rough?

you can hear it tick over then spin.. then when pc stops responding it goes quiet.

the problem happens whether the hard drive is plugged in or out.

kenon wrote: »
    You could try a BIOS update.

Just make sure that is the correct update for your mobo.

if i cant get into windows, how do i update it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

You cant really, since the bios isn't responding to you. But normally you dwnload the bios to a floppy/usb key and there is an update option in the bios, most modern boards now do this through windows too. To me it sounds like the board itself is shagged, a dodgy hdd wont effect the bios not responding, but it would stop you going into windows.

If you have the spare time and the know-how take the pc apart completely, ram,mobo,cpu and heatsink/fan, the whole lot. and make sure there are no screws behind the motherboard causing a short, dust or any other foreign objects.. Just take note of where each cable is going to if you wouldn't know yourself. Then put it all back together.

Personally, i'd bin the pc and just get a new one. Obviously keep the old hard drive as im sure they probably have pictures and the likes on it. To hook it back up you can just use a external ide-usb hard drive kit to put all the stuff over onto the new pc.

http://www.cooldrives.com/saandidehadr1.html

Apologies, I didnt realise it was a windows only bios update. Normally you can get a DOS version that you use at boot time.

5/6 a side football

PM me for a game

Thread

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭art

PC should beep at you if there's no RAM present. Have you heard beeps at any stage?

When you reset the CMOS likewise you would typically get a warning that the system clock is unset which is usually an indicator whether or not you have successfully reset the CMOS. I would leave the battery out now over night and try re-start it in the morning.

btw; A power supply problem would not necessarily mean the PC dying. It could mean an inability to start an on board device which then, in turn, halts the boot process (Hence the need to start up with no power to anything but the very essentials).

On thing that is unclear - was this PC working then suddenly stopped or has there been a recent change somewhere?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 720 ✭✭✭kierank01

when you are going to reset the CMOS, leave the power cable unplugged as well as having the battery out.

also, the pressing the power button when it is in this state, so that any capasitors have discharged.

ok, no matter config i have it doesnt get past the Compaq splash screen.

RAM removed, one beep every 2 or 3 seconds, black screen

all devices unplugged data and power cables, gets to splash screen

CMOS jumper changed to 2/3, splash screen

CMOS jumper set back to 1, splash screen

CMOS jumper set to 1/2, splash screen

cant get into BIOS or Boot Menu or System Recovery

the most i got to was, "Entering Setup" but that was the first time I turned it on in 3 days, its stalled when trying to get into Setup.

I have Battery removed and going to leave it for a few hours, power cabled removed and have pushed the power button to discharge any left over power.

i think its confirmed FUBAR but will give it one last try this evening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

It certainly does not sound promising. Dont suppose you have a techie friend who has a psu lying around that you could borrow .... and possibly a very old graphics card as well (likely that your one is AGP).
    Does it have any leds on the motherboard saying things like C1? (unlikely, but I havent seen the inside of a HP/Compaq home pc in decades)

I'm assuming like most family PC's it had a lot of dust and fluff in it, did you give it a good cleaning?

I wonder if the TIM (thermal interface material) between the cpu cooler and the cpu itself has dried out/stopped transferring heat.... A CPU will work for a few seconds before overheating without a cooler on it.

still the same after leaving the battery out for a few hours.

took pics of the ba$tard today. the paste between the processor and cooler was a bit runny, like wet paint. its hard to see in the pics but there wasnt much on each one.

graphics is on board, so i doubt a card would make much difference.

anyhow, i think it will be returned to the gfs family and see if they want to pay for repair place to look at it or buy a new one.

i did give it a very good clean, as the dust had formed sheets of dust around the fans, vents and CPU.

No spare PSU either im afraid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

Thats the way its supposed to be, maybe not wet paint but paint thats just about dried. Make sure you reseat the cpu cooler.

The only thing now that hasnt been looked at is the psu .....

But if its a 5 year old PC they might thinks its about time that they got a new one.

Ayy, it would be easier for me if a new one was bought.

but at this stage, I don't want to admit defeat to the computer :mad:

buy a new motherboard and cpu. end of story.
    why do you think it's a lost cause. Replacing parts is natural, you've identified the problem therefore you win. What you chose to do with that information determines whether you've given up. Get a new pc or replace the part are solutions. Giving it back and going "dunno" is giving up.

Getting a new pc could be more beneficial in getting results for money. it may cost a 100 or 2 more but in terms of what you get back....

it's defeat as in, I cant go much further without replacing the cpu or mobo.
    Anyway, I've told them what's needed and let them figure out if they want to replace the parts or buy a new pc.

As ya said, it could be a bit more for a new pc but worth the extra spend.

Thanks for all the contributions.

• Advertisement
Advertisement