Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hollow-core interior door

Options
  • 13-08-2009 5:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭

hi,

i have a large collection of DVDs (over 20,000 euros), that i collect in my bedroom. Recently i began to wonder about security wise concerns.

The Door is a Hollow-core interior door, which has a standard door lock, from what i can find out (im a newbie at DIY), its impossible to replace the door lock with another of high security such as a 5-lever as hollow core doors are made to a specific design and i cannot install door bolts as the rest of the door is hollow.

My question:

can anyone reading this post suggest any alternatives to securing this type of door rather than replacing it with a hardwood door.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Yeah sheat of steel on the front with a padlock....:D

My maths is not to good but allowing 50 euro per DVD you have 400 DVD's in your room..... Jesus thats a hobby!

Would you not invest in a hardwood door it sounds like it would be cheaper than any other safe proposal

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

johndoe99 wrote: »
    hi,

i have a large collection of DVDs (over 20,000 euros), that i collect in my bedroom. Recently i began to wonder about security wise concerns.

The Door is a Hollow-core interior door, which has a standard door lock, from what i can find out (im a newbie at DIY), its impossible to replace the door lock with another of high security such as a 5-lever as hollow core doors are made to a specific design and i cannot install door bolts as the rest of the door is hollow.

My question:

can anyone reading this post suggest any alternatives to securing this type of door rather than replacing it with a hardwood door.

Thanks.

Those doors are basically made of compressed paper.There's not much point in replacing the lock with a high-security one.
    If someone really wants to get in, that door would burst open regardless. Even if you put in two deadbolt locks, a couple of bangs with a hammer on the hinges would open the door at that side.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭johndoe99

Yeah sheat of steel on the front with a padlock....:D

My maths is not to good but allowing 50 euro per DVD you have 400 DVD's in your room..... Jesus thats a hobby!

Would you not invest in a hardwood door it sounds like it would be cheaper than any other safe proposal

I was thinking that hardwood would be the safest bet, but ive never put a door in before. I have 1600 DVDs, it is a great hobby, thanks for your Input.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭jack of all

If you scour Jumbletown, Adverts etc you will almost certainly pick up an old, solid core fire door for practically nothing. Failing that you could buy a new standard solid core fire door leaf for less than €100. The core is usually composed of a dense chipboard, veneered both faces with solid lippings on the long edges. Hang with 1 1/2 pairs ball bearing hinges and fit a 5 lever mortise deadbolt, with a second (Chubb type) deadbolt located a little lower down the face.

Advertisement