Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Every house on my street has UPC available but not me?

Options
  • 13-08-2009 7:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭

I rang up UPC broadband because I ordered the 10Mb service and got an email back saying that UPC is not available in my area even though I know 2 people on my road have it.

The lady told me that it is available on 1-7 and 9-16 on my road and of course I am at number 8! She said that she would try and get an engineer sent out anyway. Does anybody here know why I would be the only house where it is supposedly not available? Bad wiring in the house maybe?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

I heard this of happenening to rented houses before, where tennants left leaving a bill and the house got black listed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

snip <double post>

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭daveyjoe

EKRIUQ wrote: »
    I heard this of happenening to rented houses before, where tennants left leaving a bill and the house got black listed.

Ah, ok. I'm guessing that they wont have a problem installing it for me though, seeing as I was not renting at the time?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭ada4347

hi daveyjoe mabye when they when they were wiring ur street mabye a small bit of cable might be worn the bad part of the cable went through ur house an next door had the good cable might be the answer. Is your street old anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭Damien360

Has the previous owner ever refused to allow the cable cross the house. Did they have to go around. Silly question but does the cable actually go across your house.

I remember a neighbour at my dads house once many years ago not allow cablelink across his house. They went around but had to bury the cable and redo the footpath, obviously at cost to them. Many years later they refused to connect him until he paid the cost of that work. He never paid and only got the channels when sky came along.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭ada4347

mabye the people got cable an they canceled it cos they never paid the bills an they turned off the cable.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Vertical

I have had the same problem recently.

NTL tellie was only installed a couple of months ago and the NTL broadband sales people could not find my address on their system. It seems to be their sales database, if they can't find your house on it they say you can't get broadband.
    After chasing them for a couple of weeks they rectified the problem and installed broadband.

Be persistent...

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭lin lin

daveyjoe wrote: »
    I rang up UPC broadband because I ordered the 10Mb service and got an email back saying that UPC is not available in my area even though I know 2 people on my road have it.

The lady told me that it is available on 1-7 and 9-16 on my road and of course I am at number 8! She said that she would try and get an engineer sent out anyway. Does anybody here know why I would be the only house where it is supposedly not available? Bad wiring in the house maybe?
    consider yourself lucky. they're a pain in the bum

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 fiddl14

For Having Cable Broadband your street the cable company should take the old copper cavle out and install a new one to your isolator ib you house then connect the other end in the hub in the street or round the corner

• Registered Users Posts: 2,710 ✭✭✭kaisersose77

i had being tryin to get upc broadband for a year since this sent out letters saying they were doing an upgrade in the area, but was just told next year every time i rang up. Anyways i eventually found out thanks to someone here, that one of the neighbours had refused to let upc carry ou the upgrade work on their property which meant the row of houses i am could not get broadband. Luckily though, the tv had being down for a day or 2 and upc had to reroute the cables so the signal was coming from the opposite side to the problem neighbour, and I was able to get broadband after i explained this when i rang up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭Damien360

Damien360 wrote: »
    Has the previous owner ever refused to allow the cable cross the house. Did they have to go around. Silly question but does the cable actually go across your house.

I remember a neighbour at my dads house once many years ago not allow cablelink across his house. They went around but had to bury the cable and redo the footpath, obviously at cost to them. Many years later they refused to connect him until he paid the cost of that work. He never paid and only got the channels when sky came along.
    i had being tryin to get upc broadband for a year since this sent out letters saying they were doing an upgrade in the area, but was just told next year every time i rang up. Anyways i eventually found out thanks to someone here, that one of the neighbours had refused to let upc carry ou the upgrade work on their property which meant the row of houses i am could not get broadband. Luckily though, the tv had being down for a day or 2 and upc had to reroute the cables so the signal was coming from the opposite side to the problem neighbour, and I was able to get broadband after i explained this when i rang up.

Ha, my crystal ball seems to be working.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭versager

Let me tell you 'bout my experience with the great customer service of UPC so far: I'm gonna move out/change the address in couple of days and as their duteous customer using the broadband express package I rang them first yesterday to find out, if there's gonna be 'broadband reception' there. The nice soundin' Indian fella checked it out and YES, sir, in apartment in the very same block we have another loyal customer there as well, so it shouldn't be an issue really. OK, I said. Ring our service tomorrow again, though, just to provide necessary details, you know, he said. I said OK, again.
    Now, I rang them this morning just to 'finish the meal' and be prepared for one 'more cake' (oh yeah, upgrade to 20mbit won't do any harm, right?:pac:
    However, this less nice sounding girl told me, we are truly sorry, SIR, but our broadband service is not available in your area. 100% sure 'bout this. I asked her three times at least, if she's sure 'bout that, got the same answer: NOpe:eek:
    Anyway, rang them shortly before 6pm again, another pure british soundin' fella told me, after I told him: I need to hear the truth only, buddy...he said not being that sure: ring our service tomorrow again, right?
    To be continued...
    How sad is this, can anyone tell me?
    I know, there must be much worse stories out there, mine is just a taster, right?:rolleyes:
    BTW I live in Shannon, Clare, which is supposed to be covered completely by their excellent service:o

Engineer didn't arrive yesterday as I was told he would. I rang up this morning and they've told me that they have no record of an engineer being requested to go to my place.

She told me that "different people deal with this type of enquiry" and that she would pass on a note to them and they would get back to me. I asked her how long, she said "a couple of days". Yeah, so I don't know what's going on, has anybody got any advice on how to deal with it? I'm probably just gonna wait until they get back to me in "a couple of days".

It's Friday and they still haven't got back to me! Getting a little bit annoyed, anybody got a way to deal with them without getting the usual "we'll get back to you" fob off?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Kalev

Go in to speak to someone at their head office?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

Kalev wrote: »

a surprisingly effective way of getting the attention of dis-interested utility companies. Did it with eircom once - being persistent in a corporate HQ reception area gets things done...

Kalev wrote: »
    I'm in Cork?

Can anybody provide me with an email address for the headquarters (or somebody high up, not customer service) of UPC?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,560 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

Go direct to the CEO's office, or the company secretary. Afaik the Secretary (it's an official post, not a bint with a phone) is legally obliged to respond to letters. Always use registered post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 suprasonic

ring this number its for once offs ask them can they send a engineer out to asses your house and why its not cabled and that you want to get upc bb in hope it helps 01-2458559

• Advertisement

Somebody from UPC got on to me this morning and it looks like my address has just been made available so I've just put through another order online and hopefully it will work out this time.

Advertisement