Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Denen Bos Solar - Are they good?

• 13-08-2009 7:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭

A well known Builders Providers is selling Denen Bos solar DHW systems. I am haggling with them at the moment on price. They supplied most of my hardware for my new build so I am hoping to get a good quote.

But the question is: are they a good choice. The specs on the web site dont excite me but maybe I am missing something.

All help much appreciated.

PS please excuse the sloppy title, its supposed to read: Denen Bos Solar - Are they good?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 254 ✭✭Evergreen

I took a quick look at their website and your right, the data they give is not great. If you take for example the 20 tube system here is a summary of the panels dimensions and performance data.

Gross Area 3.64 m2m
    Aperture Area 1.89m
    Total Panel Output = 1000 kWh/a - nice round number ;)
    Output per m2 Aperture = 529 kWh/m2/a
    Output per m2 of roof covered = 275 kWh/m2/a

To put these figures into persepective;

A good tube system you could expect the following results
    Output per m2 Aperture = 612 kWh/m2/a
    Output per m2 of roof covered = 532 kWh/m2/a

A medium flat planel system you could expect these results
    Output per m2 Aperture = 520 kWh/m2/a
    Output per m2 of roof covered = 477 kWh/m2/a

You can make your own mind up after that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭macnab

Thanks evergreen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 648 ✭✭✭PeteHeat

Hi Evergreen,

The Data is not great, But it is honest ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭quentingargan

As in other posts, Evergreen's figures favour flatplates because the figures totally ignore incidence angle modifier and use noon efficiency only. Flatplates are at their most efficient at noon (obviously) whereas vacuum flask systems are at their most efficient during the morning and afternoon. The reasons for this are complex, but are explained here.

So at a time when a flatplates is at 60% of its noon efficiency, some vaccum flask systems are working at well over 100% of their noon efficiency.

On sunny days both will provide you with plenty of hot water - where vacuum flasks excel is in extending the seasons into spring and autumn and on cloudy days. This seasonal stretch isn't shown in the figures for overall annual performance.

I have no axe to grind on this - I work with both flatplates and tubes, but we sell flatplates based on their aesthetic appeal, not their efficiency.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Denen boss solar is...

im not going to say because it would be libelous, but lets just say from my expierence its not what id choose even if ignoring the poor outputs.

• Advertisement
Advertisement