Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

BMW 320CD Info?

• 13-08-2009 7:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭

Hey folks,

Considering buying a new car with a bit of room and some luxury and i'm really liking the looks of the E46 320CD coupe. I'd be looking for one around the 04-05 mark. Most around this year have highish miles 110k+. Does this type of milage have any adverse affects on 320s? What should I be looking out for when buying one? I'm new to BMWs and the euro scene in general! (Jap head) :p
    Also does anyone know what the tax is on them?

Cheers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭sunshinediver

Duff wrote: »
    Hey folks,

Considering buying a new car with a bit of room and some luxury and i'm really liking the looks of the E46 320CD coupe. I'd be looking for one around the 04-05 mark. Most around this year have highish miles 110k+. Does this type of milage have any adverse affects on 320s? What should I be looking out for when buying one? I'm new to BMWs and the euro scene in general! (Jap head) :p
    Also does anyone know what the tax is on them?

Cheers.

Hi,

I have a 05 M sport one myself, The facelifted version came out in 2004, new sideskirts, LED rear lights and an overall sportier look. This particular model had its VRT price drop significantly when the changes came in last year so importing one should be an option for you. The ones in the UK have a lot less mileage on them also. Dont mind the crap about salt on the roads... :rolleyes:

As regards the car its brilliant, Handling, looks and MPG are superb. I had a 1.4 golf beforehand and get better mileage out of the beemer, you can expect about late 40s combined MPG once you get used to the car and even more if you pussy foot around. Road tax is 600 a year bracket (old system for a 2 litre). As regards stuff to look out for check rear suspension is ok, especially on the M sports. Apart from that I don't know of anything else. Never had any problems with mine. Go for it! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Duff

Thanks for that mate. I never really thought about looking in the UK as I thought VRT would be too expensive but ill check it out tomorrow! Really like the look of them and reviews of them online all seem to say ''Go for it'' so I think I will! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭mick.fr

A 320CD is all but roomy :D
    If you are single, fair enough. Otherwise, forget about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

There's usually plenty of room in the back of BMW coupes - the problem is that you only have two doors. I'm also looking to replace my E36 coupe at the moment, but I'll probably be looking at 2001 coupes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Duff

mick.fr wrote: »

I've a g/f and thats it. No family or anything i'm only 21 :pac:. Space isn't the main issue anyway considering I've been driving around in a 2 door hot hatch for the last 2 years. I just want something with good looks and comfort for a change.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭sunshinediver

mick.fr wrote: »

There's more room than a large hatchback car. Also a much bigger boot. Space in the back isn't the issue, climbing into the back is a pain in the ass though... :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ShayK1

I've been looking at the same car and I was wondering about 2 things:

1. What BHP are they? 150 I think?????
    2. Are they FWD or RWD ?

Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Space in the back isn't the issue, climbing into the back is a pain in the ass though... :D

It can get a bit undignified at times alright - but hey who cares when you're in the driving seat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

ShayK1 wrote: »

2. Are they FWD or RWD ?

No FWD BMWs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Johnny Utah

I have one, and they're a great car. Just make sure you keep the EGR valve clean as it tends to get clogged up if it's not maintained regularly. Also, ensure that you let the turbo wind down after every journey- about 30 secs for a short trip, and about a minute for longer journeys. You might also want to get the crankcase breather replaced, as BMW introduced a newer version around 2005 due the turbo issues. The problems with the 320d turbo are a bit exagerated imo- if you maintain the car properly, you shouldn't experience any problems at all. My car has over 50k on the clock and it's running perfectly.

Read the reviews on honestjohn.

My advise would be to go to England and source a lower milage example (there's plenty around the 30k milage mark in England). Also, go for an m sport model if you can stretch to it.

ShayK1 wrote: »
    I've been looking at the same car and I was wondering about 2 things:

2. Are they FWD or RWD ?

Thanks.

150 bhp for the newer diesel engine (ie. post the end of 2003 I think).
    RWD.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 sheva

What does FWD and RWD stand for (as I've just a 320d myself)?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ShayK1

sheva wrote: »
    What does FWD and RWD stand for (as I've just a 320d myself)?

Front Wheel Drive and Rear Wheel Drive

Thanks guys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Bearcat

there has been a big big weakness with the 04 engines and previous. Swirl flaps in the inlet manifold break and head to the cylinders and blow the engine ....get them removed.

http://forums.5series.net/index.php?showtopic=78584

this link is re the 530d but the same weakness applys.

Advertisement