Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ikea yea or nea

Options
  • 13-08-2009 8:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭

hi . offered 20 hrs with ikea , maybe more hrs depending . it is a 2 month contract with maybe a continuation .
    made redundant 4 weeks ago , so have being claiming welfare . the hours with ikea are from either 3am / 5am start . this however my doctor told me to avoid doing due to serious stress levels with my last job .
    having done the math i work out i will earn 30 euro more than the dole , this however is not the only factor , i have enrolled to do 1 of the courses offered by the government free of charge , if i do get this course and i opt to start work with ikea i may not qualify . this combined with the shift is making me decline the role with ikea . dont get me wrong i need and want a job . i know its great to be doing something workwise but is it really worth the hassle .
    also like to add i am not happy staying on the dole as i have mortgage and bills to pay so am not looking for the easy , lazy option

any comments welcome

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭cronos

I would imagine it would be possible to work your way up fairly quickly in Ikea given all the workfoce were just hired in the last few months. So it might be only 20 hours a week and 30 euros a month more than the dole now but if you work your way up you will get better money.

Also I would have thought working at night would be less stressful than working there during the day with lots of people running about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭littlebitdull

I have been with Ikea since the middle of june myself. I too was offered a 20 hour contract but have yet to work only 20 hours a week!! There has always been the chance each week to work more hours. One guy in my section has a 12 hour a week contract and has been working up to 38 hours a week as he is willing and able to take on the extra hours.

Its been hard work, the shop is very busy, and apart from the scheduled break times there is no let up and no chance of slacking.

I love the work, the people and the company have been nice to work for thus far.

However you do state that your doctor has advised you re stress levels? I am not sure what exactly you mean by this ...But judging by the hours your talking about you must be on the replen section, and I would say that will be hard physical work, but would think it would qualify as stressful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭littlebitdull

Also you may be able to keep some of your benifits with only working part time so that may be worth looking into too.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭superbad50

cheers lads , as before i dont mind the work at all , have been working very hard all my life , guess taking its toll . ha . work yes physical indeed but is good to be doing some and mingling with the lads , which are all really nice guys . as for the welfare if i am working the partime hours over 5 days which is the case then i can claim for 1 day from them , not alot but suppose better than nothing . unfortunately the real issue is the start hours and not the number of hours and as it is in the logistics department understandably things have to be ready before the shop opens . taking all into account , i have made my decision and regrettably will have to decline there offer . i do think they have a fantastic setup and if your someone with the same query that doesnt mind shift then i would give ago . they have so much to offer , career and directional wise along with discount offers for you and your family . also the food is really cheap and not too bad either . thank for the repluys guys :)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,965 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Glad you've made your mind up.

In general, advice on boards.ie would be to follow your doctor's advice: 'twould be foolish for anyone here to suggest otherwise when they know so little.

• Advertisement
Advertisement