Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

On campus accommodation (1st year)

Options
  • 13-08-2009 8:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭

Hi there, hope to be going to UCD in september and am just looking for peoples opinions on on campus accommodation. Any advice on which is best to apply for? Basically just looking for first hand information about it all:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭IrishKnight

There is lots about this already on boards, use the search f(x)...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 beautifulmeath

Where do you live? It's allocated based in location, except if you get 540+, in which case you're guaranteed a place PROVIDING you apply for it :)

Costs about 4,000 per year, though I've heard that's about to go up

Merville and Belgrove are OK but fairly ancient, Roebuck is beautiful but 1,000 dearer :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭Raemie

I lived in roebuck last year, it was nice enough (having my own bathroom was brilliant) but its very expensive, and they really seem to be cracking down on parties, guests etc. Good and bad in that, maybe it'll be quieter but its a pain having to show your ID just to get home. Being close to UCD is great and it helps make friends when there are so many other 1st years around so i would recommend on-campus accomidation to 1st years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 IxM

Merville is great. Was in it this year and excellent way to meet people at the start of the college year.
    Pro's:
    It is the closest to the shop on campus and near enough Spar just off campus (handy when ya run out of booze before heading out for the ole Buckfast :D) And near the laundrette in Glenomena.
    It's a bit bigger than Belgrove apartments.
    Its Got 2 Bathrooms.
    Con's:
    The Carpet Throughout the place is a f****** Nightmare for getting stains on from drink,really messing with yer deposit.
    The electricity is card operated(in fairness i never found this bad, a tenner once every 4 weeks if ya split it with the roommates, but some people seem to hate it)
    Heating also sucks sometimes.

In general though i had no real problems, i loved the place, craic was brill :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭niallfullback

Im from Roscommon so would I be fairly safe?
    Im thinking of Roebuck at the moment but wouldnt like to sacrifice some of the craic, would there be a any fear of that or am I worrying over nothing?:)

• Advertisement

Yes, yes you would be fairly safe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭33% God

Im thinking of Roebuck at the moment but wouldnt like to sacrifice some of the craic, would there be a any fear of that or am I worrying over nothing?:)
    I wouldn't worry about having to sacrifice craic. I lived in Merville last year but we often went up to Roebuck for parties.
    If the gate system comes in this year it's going to severely reduce the craic anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭niallfullback

Whats this gate system you speak of?:)

Whats this gate system you speak of?:)

It is a hinged device which is normally made from a material known as metal. When open, it provides a method to enter an area. When closed it prevents access to an area. Most gates are a two way system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 ice_cream

When ur applying for accommodation in ucd is thre anyway to request you be housed with a friend?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭damselnat

ice_cream wrote: »
    When ur applying for accommodation in ucd is thre anyway to request you be housed with a friend?

Don't think so, usually done in alphabetical order using your surname. If you apply to the same place with your mates you'll be fine, you probably won't be in the same apartment with them but be in the same complex, it's easy enough to walk out and visit!

ice_cream wrote: »

When I was applying, I think you could but the chance of you getting it is slim...but like damaelnat said if you apply to the same res, you'll end up close enough to each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭fillefatale

There is lots about this already on boards, use the search f(x)...

everytime i see a post like this i think the same thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭fillefatale

It is a hinged device which is normally made from a material known as metal. When open, it provides a method to enter an area. When closed it prevents access to an area. Most gates are a two way system.

here here!

they are putting gates on all residences now and will be checking IDs for access. Harder to sneak mates in who don't live on campus.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

they are putting gates on all residences now and will be checking IDs for access. Harder to sneak mates in who don't live on campus.

The gates are already there AFAIK, they're just not using them

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭TDOie

here here!

I'd be quite surprised if they where checking ID's 24/7.

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭muffinman

Where do you live? It's allocated based in location, except if you get 540+, in which case you're guaranteed a place PROVIDING you apply for it :)

Is this true?
    Costs about 4,000 per year, though I've heard that's about to go up

Merville and Belgrove are OK but fairly ancient, Roebuck is beautiful but 1,000 dearer :(

Bear in mind that electricity is included in the cost of Roebuck and when that's taken into account the difference in cost is significantly less.

muffinman wrote: »
    Is this true?

It is part of the scholarship or something...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

muffinman wrote: »
    Is this true?

I never heard of this when I was in 1st year and applying for campus. I got over those points and I got campus but I think it was due to where I lived as this was never mentioned??

Scholars get campus I know, but I can't imagine everyone who gets over 540 would

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭muffinman

Jev/N wrote: »
    I never heard of this when I was in 1st year and applying for campus. I got over those points and I got campus but I think it was due to where I lived as this was never mentioned??

Scholars get campus I know, but I can't imagine everyone who gets over 540 would

I got campus last year and got over 540 but was never told anything about a guaranteed place due to points.. Received a "high achievers award" (previously known as entrance exhibition), but I always thought space was only reserved for actual scholarship recipients (like the 590+ people or w/e)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭bythewoods

I'm just after getting Medicine in UCD, what are the chances I'll get campus for first year?
    I live in Wexford like. But the 3-hours-from-Dublin part as opposed to like.. Idunno.. Gorey or somesuch.

Will I be more likely to get offered a place just because I got higher points? That seems just a tad unfar...
    (But if it's true I'm not complainin')

If you get above like 540 or something you'll get a scholarship methinks that might include on campus res but iff you apply for it. So apply anyway and see what happens!

But you might want to keep an eye out on daft.ie...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

bythewoods wrote: »
    I'm just after getting Medicine in UCD, what are the chances I'll get campus for first year?
    I live in Wexford like. But the 3-hours-from-Dublin part as opposed to like.. Idunno.. Gorey or somesuch.

Will I be more likely to get offered a place just because I got higher points? That seems just a tad unfar...
    (But if it's true I'm not complainin')
    Where in Wexford? I'm from New Ross and was just shy of getting it when I was in First year, so base your opinion on that.

Raphael wrote: »
    Where in Wexford? I'm from New Ross and was just shy of getting it when I was in First year, so base your opinion on that.

Dagnamit, also New Ross.
    Sure I'll try anyway, and if I don't get it I'll work something else out...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭holadivaldfe

when can we start applying?

from one source i heard wed, and another told me to apply NOW! :eek:

if the answer is now, then how?

thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Dagnamit, also New Ross.
    Sure I'll try anyway, and if I don't get it I'll work something else out...
    You've got a chance, people from Ross got it in my year (just not me), and I got a place from the cancellation list right after the 2nd round offers.

Raphael wrote: »
    You've got a chance, people from Ross got it in my year (just not me), and I got a place from the cancellation list right after the 2nd round offers.

Hmmmm, I'll give it a shot anyway.

Is it true that if I put my address as "New Ross, Co. Kilkenny" I'll have a better chance?
    Because, if so... I can see myself doing it...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Hmmmm, I'll give it a shot anyway.

Is it true that if I put my address as "New Ross, Co. Kilkenny" I'll have a better chance?
    Because, if so... I can see myself doing it...

Put down New Ross, Co.Monaghan, it'll work I swear.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,011 ✭✭✭cHaTbOx

The accommodation is ok but very expensive for what you get , think its averaged around 430 a week in belgrove and you had to pay electricity bills every two month that were extortionate because or the non double glazed windows and gaps under doors a dodgey heating.
    Wouldn't do it again.

I would rather get together with five strangers and find a place as you are thrown in with strangers anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭33% God

If you get above like 540 or something you'll get a scholarship methinks that might include on campus res but iff you apply for it. So apply anyway and see what happens!
    Over 540 just gets you the High Achievers award, which is nice but doesn't actually include anything other than a speech about how awesome you are and a sheet to say the same.
    To get the Scholarship you have to get the highest points on your programme, which is usually over 560 at least, depending on your course.

Advertisement