Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Loughrea dirty town

Options
  • 13-08-2009 8:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭

Hey,

I was just in Loughrea today and I could not believe the state of the town, has the town council completely blown the budget for keeping the town clean. It’s as disgrace. The main street is full of rubbish, the dustbins were overflowing. The bottle bank area is shocking. Every bit of greenery in the town is overgrown. Why the town council or the tidy town is’s allowing this to happen. How do they expect the town to attract visitors when it looks so rough? I left without doing what I needed to do because of the state of the place. Its a bit depressing when you see other towns and how well they can keep it together even in the recession. This really is a poor reflection of the town council. Dose anyone know why they have allowed this to happen?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 olsson

Hi op
    I agree:eek: I was also in Loughrea this week, and its a desgrace!!
    :eek:.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Brouhaha

There was mention of the litter issue in this week's Connacht Tribune. Budget cuts are showing their affects I think. The grass in the Fair Green is not being cut for same reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭hoody

Fairgreen is in a bad state alright, some enterprising farmer should offer to cut it in return for the grass. Awful shame to see it in the state its in, normally it'd be busy with soccer and stuff all summer. Don't understand how the money situation could be that bad... how much can it cost to cut two small areas of grass?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Brouhaha

hoody wrote: »
    Fairgreen is in a bad state alright, some enterprising farmer should offer to cut it in return for the grass. Awful shame to see it in the state its in, normally it'd be busy with soccer and stuff all summer. Don't understand how the money situation could be that bad... how much can it cost to cut two small areas of grass?

I heard a farmer did offer but was told insurance wouldn't allow it. Fair play to Norman Morgan (town councillor), he's out with a strimmer doing what he can.

From the Sunday Business Post

"Neighbouring Galway County Council is one of the worst hit.

In its briefing, county manager Martina Moloney told councillors that the local authority had a €39 million hole in its finances. The winter roads maintenance budget has been spent by the middle of the summer. Debt at Galway County Council is growing by more than €1 million a week."

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭hoody

Spotted him out doing a bit - surely he's not insured either? Shameful state of affairs in any case, god knows the town needs its leisure areas to be well kept. And its completely pointless having a moan too, or writing a letter, because they've no money, so nothing's going to change. Anyone up for letting a few hungry sheep havin a roam around in there for a day or two...the whole town can stump up a euro or two each to cover the dreaded insurance!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 RedHotChiliman

I'd like to think if i was out of work and on the dole i'd lend a hand to clean streets of loughrea (espically if it was your hometown)......... :eek: .. what a strange concept .... just a couple of hours a week ?? Come on has anyone thought of it , Jeysus.
    I pass by the town most days and it really looks a mess, supermacs bags flying by. Birds are gettin a good feed tho :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 henryc

I agree with the op, it really is a disgrace what is going on in that town, I was there today and I have to say that it really is a dirty town. Some of the footpaths are so overgrown that you can’t walk on them and on the road from the topaz garage into town there is a used condom on the foot path. There is litter everywhere in the town. The town people as well as the town council should be ashamed of themselves. Why is there no one cleaning up the streets. I will make it my business to avoid Loughrea in future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 takeaway

Having lived in the town for the past number of years I know there is little in the way of community spirit in the place.Certainly we are not proud of the town as can be seen by the rubbish. I do know that one woman tried to rally a few people to tidy up the streets on a Saturday afternoon but give the day that was in it the turn out was poor. As previouly suggested given the rate of unemployment why can't peolpe be made help clean up as part of a community service instead of getting money to do nothing. How about young offenders-could they not clean up all the drink cans etc down the walks?? We wait for people to do it for us. Thats a Irish problem not just limited to Loughrea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 takeaway

Actually I had a re-think and there is Community Spirit in Loughrea with regards to sports, drama and other such activities. Just not in relation to putting our litter in the bin, if you could get a bin that wasn't over flowing that is..

Advertisement