Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

n95 8g network setting's

• 13-08-2009 8:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭

have an N95 8G was wondering which is better . gsm , dual mode or umts . Even better whats the difference? I'm on meteor

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

byrner88 wrote: »
    have an N95 8G was wondering which is better . gsm , dual mode or umts . Even better whats the difference? I'm on meteor

You should select Dual-mode as this allows your handset to connect to 3G, when available, and to either EDGE or GPRS when not. The speed of the data networks are as follows (slowest => fastest):

GPRS => EDGE => 3G

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭byrner88

i had it on dual mode when i got the phone then a few months later my phone was acting up and i wasnt getting any calls or texts or my texts would'nt deliver unless i made a call so i changed it back to gsm and hay presto problem solved. i hope it doesnt happen if i change back

i had it on dual mode when i got the phone then a few months later my phone was acting up and i wasnt getting any calls or texts or my texts would'nt deliver unless i made a call so i changed it back to gsm and hay presto problem solved. i hope it doesnt happen if i change back

It depends on how weak/strong the 3G signal is where you are located. Where in Ireland are you located, as Meteor 3G coverage is only officially available in Dublin and Cork?

If you still experience issues with calls and sms when your handset is set to dual-mode or 3G, then switching to GSM mode will still enable you to access EDGE data speeds which should be fine for general Internet access.

Rsaeire wrote: »
    It depends on how weak/strong the 3G signal is where you are located. Where in Ireland are you located, as Meteor 3G coverage is only officially available in Dublin and Cork?

If you still experience issues with calls and sms when your handset is set to dual-mode or 3G, then switching to GSM mode will still enable you to access EDGE data speeds which should be fine for general Internet access.

ok thats cool im in dublin by the way . ill try it on dual mode for a few days and see how i get on

ok thats cool im in dublin by the way . ill try it on dual mode for a few days and see how i get on

You shouldn't experience many issues while the handset is on dual-mode in Dublin, especially since Meteor are continuously upgrading their 3G network and making improvements, however, if you experience any issues again, you can simply select GSM and hopefully that will resolve any issues. It's not an ideal situation, and a sim change may actually rectify this issue, but at least you have some options.

• Advertisement

Rsaeire wrote: »
    You shouldn't experience many issues while the handset is on dual-mode in Dublin, especially since Meteor are continuously upgrading their 3G network and making improvements, however, if you experience any issues again, you can simply select GSM and hopefully that will resolve any issues. It's not an ideal situation, and a sim change may actually rectify this issue, but at least you have some options.

when i had the problem with the calls and texts i rang meteor and they said get a new sim and that didnt solve the problem changing to gsm did . if it does happen again ill change back . anyway thanks

when i had the problem with the calls and texts i rang meteor and they said get a new sim and that didnt solve the problem changing to gsm did . if it does happen again ill change back . anyway thanks

No problem, glad to be of some help. ;)

Advertisement