Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Study in 6th year?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭melissavm

I paid for after-school study (2hrs) last yr and being the lazy bum that i am, i didn't go. I ended up getting 400 points regardless of lack of study and i'm kicking myself for not going because I would love to see how many points I would've been capable of if I put my mind to it.

One thing that I did at the beginning of the year however is went into the library and did some work on a Sat morning from 10 - 2 and i think it really helped. Not only does it obviously help towards your results but you can enjoy your weekend more knowing that you've already put 4 hours of study in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭9wetfckx43j5rg

I can honestly say I sat down to "study for the leaving cert" once and once only last year. I found I cannot spend time studying material for an exam months away.

Go to classes, do all your homework and after you homework see if you can remember everything. I learned by doing, and revising for class tests. With that and grinds in one subject I got 395 points

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭Mallox

cork*girl wrote: »
    going into 6th year.. :( if i hadnt stayed back a year in primary school it would all be over.. ugh dreading the work/study and STRESS :( Roll on Summer '10!

really dont be stressing i went into 6th year expecting the same but it was one of the best years of my life. your at that age now where you can go out alot more and stuff, personally i think 5th year is when most of the work is done

the day you finish the leaving tho is a brilliant day, a natural high :L
    look forward to it ..
    woo summer '09 is brill best summer yet
    roll on college :D

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Fince

just one piece of advise re studying, start with your favourite subject to get you into the swing of things. a warm up for your mind. i always started with maths cause you can just get stuck into it and i enjoy it (got an A1 and hoping to do maths in college)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭mufc4lfe

Did a bit of study the last 2 weeks!
    I got 275.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭ALincoln

To be honest, there's no objective advice you can give regarding study - it is one of the most subjective exercises a person undertakes.

A few things though:

A lot of people advise the completion of homework without fail. I'm not so sure - in certain subjects, like Maths, it is probably vital. In others however, like History and English, the time might possibly be better spent studying, and getting to know topics through reading and watching films etc. Plucking answers from texts to answer short questions and therefore complete homework is of very little long term utility in my opinion.

With study, learning in blocks works for some, but not the majority. It has been scientifically proven; your brain has a capacity and time limit for operating successfully, and once you pass this threshold, there is no more activity and study is futile.

Finally - a lot of people focus on note taking. On this, be warned; making out a set of notes does not equate to study. You have to take the extra step and actually learn the notes. This is a trap which so many, including myself, one far more than one occasion, have fallen into.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 fearanpost

almostover wrote: »
    My biggest tip would be do do all your homework evary night. This is vital for subjects like maths and sciences. Study by doing exam questions and correcting them using the marking schemes on www.examination.ie. Then you will find out what you need to study. Trust me this works. Got me 570 in the LC.

thats what i done and i got great results...:D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Walsh wrote: »
    Didn't do a day of study and got 255. It's a handy number the aul leaving cert :D

The same, except I got 330 by some miracle.

Well, I did a little study. But not a huge amount, and certainly not reguarly - my History teacher always reffered to me as a sponge in that I remembered piles but not through effort :P .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭cork*girl

thanks for the advice and tips. I plan to start in September with after school study + homework and listening in class and gradually build up!

• Registered Users Posts: 14 malteasermia

up till christmas, i just did my homework (except for maths, which i love and studied all the time!)

i made a list for every subject of what i needed to do, and then set myself a certain amount of things to do each week. that way, i wasnt sitting pointlessly staring at a book, just cos it said i had to do it on a timetable! i did what i had to do, and then i was free to relax or go out!

for maths and applied maths, it was papers, papers, papers! dont just stop when you've done the past exam ones, try get old mocks ones too, as sometimes (especially in applied maths) they recycle the questions. Questions from the old maths course and the matric also can come up in maths...

for physics and chem, i had flash cards for definitions and formulas, and i did all the exam papers and old mocks ones over ad over!

english, i just did LOADS of questions and essays, and my teacher would correct them for me and tell me where i was going wrong or needed to work!

irish and french.... just do your bit for the orals, learn some sample answers/phrases, and practise the papers!

DCG was awful, noone had a clue WHAT was coming up, so i just kept doing sample papers and questions from the old course.

got 580, so it worked for me!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10 yellowbutterfly

Havn't done leaving yet but from what I've read here and been told seems like homework is the most important thing I guess, and then whatever study I can get done on top of that will have to do! Best of luck and well done to all the fab results.

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭liamygunner29

fact is if you bust your hole for 2 weeks and your going for anything under 380 you'll get it. I mean like bust your hole every day all day..don't study ****e thats not going come up and take a few chances..worked for me but then again I'm only doing arts in ucd!!

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭liamygunner29

up till christmas, i just did my homework (except for maths, which i love and studied all the time!)

i made a list for every subject of what i needed to do, and then set myself a certain amount of things to do each week. that way, i wasnt sitting pointlessly staring at a book, just cos it said i had to do it on a timetable! i did what i had to do, and then i was free to relax or go out!

for maths and applied maths, it was papers, papers, papers! dont just stop when you've done the past exam ones, try get old mocks ones too, as sometimes (especially in applied maths) they recycle the questions. Questions from the old maths course and the matric also can come up in maths...

for physics and chem, i had flash cards for definitions and formulas, and i did all the exam papers and old mocks ones over ad over!

english, i just did LOADS of questions and essays, and my teacher would correct them for me and tell me where i was going wrong or needed to work!

irish and french.... just do your bit for the orals, learn some sample answers/phrases, and practise the papers!

DCG was awful, noone had a clue WHAT was coming up, so i just kept doing sample papers and questions from the old course.

got 580, so it worked for me!

applied maths is easy I can't believe you had to study for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 malteasermia

applied maths is easy I can't believe you had to study for it.

yeah, but i got my a1 in honours though so....

and anyway, it doesnt matter how easy a subject might be, if you dont study, you wont get the results.

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭dog_pig

I left absolutely everything to about 2 weeks prior to the leaving. Didn't do homework for pretty much any class thoughout 5th and 6th year so I knew when it come close I'd to make some sort of effort. For those two weeks I probably did about 8 hours a day on physics/maths/history and left everything else to the night before their respective exams. You'd be amazed how much you can get through in two weeks! Ended up getting 500 and should have done better only for messing up the timing completely in a few exams and making a stupid mistake in English. Now I'm not recommending doing what I did at all, I'm just saying that no matter how late you think you've left it, you can always make a difference by going over notes/doing exam papers.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭dannydfc

I'm going into 6th year .
    Starting to ****t it already to be honest

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Stephen Esquire

I was sort of the lazy type couldn't really commit to a study plan before Christmas.I did alright in the Christmas tests which gave me a false sense of security so was happy to put in about 5 hours a week up until the mocks in which I got 390 points.That gave me a big wake up call so studied my ass off with 2 months to go 3 hours a night an got 500 points in the end.So guess it's never too late to do well!

The study I did was completely paper focused, did every paper in Business, Chemistry and Biology, ended up with 2 A2s and and an A1 respectively.German was my suprise result, the best I ever did in house exams was a C3, so I studied intensively using papers again and ended up with a B1.So basically use the past papers and you'll be fine!

Advertisement