Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Luke Vibert - We Hear You

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,673 ✭✭✭✭fits

Sounds good on first listen doesnt it? Have you listened much to it yet?

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

No, funnily enough I've only literally put the CD on now - I had bought a couple of other CDs that got priority for listening this afternoon and this morning I wasn't in the mood for something as potentially light-hearted as Luke Vibert!

Three tracks in and so far so good. It was Boomkat that convinced me of the need to purchase this...
    Electronic maverick Luke Vibert returns to Planet Mu for what is being hailed as one of his best albums to date. The man has produced more records than we've got time to list, and his work is elevated by consistency and an effective sound that keeps heads coming back for more. 'We Hear You' is no massive departure or major stylistic shift, more just an affirmation of the timeless quality of his sound - many of the tracks really could have come from any point in the last 20 years - while remaining as fresh as the next man and his mates. As the label put it; "songs like 'De-Pimp Act' connect the dots between Terry Riley, dubstep bass and hiphop with a lightness that makes it seem like an everyday occurrence", while 'Pretty Old Acid Music' defines that nonchalent character of his Cornish roots, removed from the feverish style shifts of the major cities and left to just make strangely funky music of it's own time and place. Really good fun.
    http://www.boomkat.com/item.cfm?id=215299

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

I got the chance to meet him when he played in Cork, absolute gent. Loved his album Sorry I Make You Lush so I may give this an aul sconce when I get home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Kopf

it's ****e.

(like most music released under his own name)

Kopf wrote: »
    it's ****e.

(like most music released under his own name)

Jaysus you are a rare breed around here. What I like about the Experimental section is that the conversation, although a small amount, tends to be friendly and somewhat constructive... unlike your post - you obviously dislike music by Luke Vibert, that I'm afraid doesn't automatically make it '****e' as you put it. At least if you are going to criticize something, do it with a bit more intellect than that... otherwise, to use your type of tone... ***s off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭jiltloop

Luke Vibert has always been one of my favourite artists, love most of his stuff, it's always got a nice feel good vibe and doesn't take itself too seriously.
    Kopf why bother posting on a thread about Luke Vibert if you dislike his music so much? I can understand posting an opinion as to why you don't like a particular artist if it involves stating why in an intelligent manner thus stimulating a bit of discussion. Otherwise keep your enigmatic and negative comments to yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

His productions always sound great. I love the drums on most, if not all of his tracks.

I can kind of understand what Kopf is saying about some of the monikers he uses though. Some of his releases sound a bit bland and boring to my ears but he produces so much stuff that you're never going to like all of it. Overall he's a great producer, who produces for many genres whilst still retaining his own signature sound and that has to be commended.

Gonna give this new one a listen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

I am more fond of his Wagon Christ releases alright.

Yeah I'd agree that the releases under the Luke Vibert name can sound the same, playful with lots of acid basically - I found that with the first couple of albums I bought and didn't really play them as a result, went back to them again though after a while and really enjoyed them, especially in the car. And once again, haven't listened to this again since a few days after I bought it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭jiltloop

I love his Wagon Christ stuff too and initially when I got the Luke Vibert album "Yoseph" I didn't take to it at all. Then I went back and listened to it and loved it. To this day its still one of my favourite albums by anyone.

• Advertisement
Advertisement