Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MA Modern Irish History

Options
  • 13-08-2009 9:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭

Think I've been offered a place on the MA in Modern Irish History. Waiting for a formal offer...

Can anybody who may have done this before tell me when the starting date for this may be and what the hours will be like? Or even just a general idea of what the course is like would be handy too!

David

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

This was one I was thinking of doing. They sent out a sheet with the provisional timetable and the amount of credits required. The programme Cores involve the following:

Dissertation (50 credits)
    Research Skills 1 (5 credits, Semester 1)
    Research Skills 2 (5 credits, Semester 2)
    Readings in 20th Century Irish History (10 credits, Semester 1)
    Themes in 20th Century Irish History (10 credits, Semester 2)

That makes 80 credits and you have to accumulate 90 credits so you make up the rest with whatever optional course/s you want to take.

I think the hours are 1-2 and 2-3 on a Thursday for the Core Modules above.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭V480

Thanks for that...so the hours are not too intensive?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭V480

I can not find any info on when the semester will start or when the actual lectures for the MA will begin in September. The 'UCD connect' thing on the internet will not let me log in even though I have accepted the offer.

I havent recieved any contact from UCD at all really so I got a bit of a shock when I saw online that the first semester will begin in the first week in September! Can anybody PLEASE help me out here...if I am due to start that early then I will need to hand in notice in my job here in Cork immediately.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Hi,

According to a letter I received upon accepting an offer for the MA in History, "Term starts on Monday 7 September, 2009" and "This includes all strands". Along with the letter I was sent a registration form, a provisional timetable and a list of optional course choices. Basically they want to know what course and subjects they have to prepare for you.

I imagine a letter will be on its way to you soon although if it's not there by next week I'd recommend you email the college and ask them what the story is.

Hope that helps.

Advertisement