Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dumpster Divin'

• 13-08-2009 9:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭

Well more like skip diving. My friend and I went walking today and as we were going through an estate there was a skip outside it. I spotted a Gamecube box inside it and thought hmm.. I pulled out the box and although no cube, there was a gameboy accesory bag and an unofficial cube controller. I took the bag and controller and opened the bag up. Inside was a vgc purple GBA, Tomb raider 3 for PS1, Crash 2 for PS1 and Sabrina for GBC (although my friend bagsied that :() also a few GBA game manuals. We walked away rather quickly after that, but going to go back in the morning and have another rummage. Also, just wondering have any of ye come across any game finds, retro or otherwise in a skip or bin? Its such a shame as the GBA is in PWO and new batteries and all!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

I'm so jelous :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭CCCP^

When I was living in Vancouver, I worked as a Landscape Gardener. You find out very quickly that this basically means you do anything around the house, and one day we were clearing out someone's gaff because they were moving.

Anyway, as we were hauling out stuff, I spotted a Game Gear and Ecco the Dolphin for the GG. The Game Gear was in really great condition, so I nabbed it. That and a Cranberries cd. Score!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Haha nice one!

Did you steal it? Thats not cool

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭CCCP^

No I didn't steal it ffs. They were moving to a smaller place and we were taking alot of stuff to the dump. The Game Gear was destined for the dump, so I took it. Considering they underpaid us for the job, I think that was only fair.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,886 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Was wonder where the bang of piss was coming from.

Shup you, you're just jealous. Anyway, it was a rather posh estate so its posh piss if anything *sticks tongue out at Retr0*

CCCP^ wrote: »
    No I didn't steal it ffs. They were moving to a smaller place and we were taking alot of stuff to the dump. The Game Gear was destined for the dump, so I took it. Considering they underpaid us for the job, I think that was only fair.

Oh, thats alright then. in that case you probably should have stole it :p

/jk

Went back to the skip this morning but sadly it was being collected. However an empty one was being dropped off and i spotted a ps2 box in the garden. God I sound like one of those old hoarder-type people!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

God I sound like one of those old hoarder-type people!

I'm begining to think is there an element of hoarding to "retro gaming" ?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I reckon Skip Diving is a step too far myself, I know what kinda medical crap gets fecked into those things, and believe me, a Gameboy Player is somply not worth a dose of Hepatitis!

Yes there is a small element of hoarding to retro collecting, but i mean it in the sense of full on hoard absolutely everything. Just to be clear, I didn't actually get into the skip just the box was on the top. Would never actually go proper dumpster/skip diving.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Well, we all know that thousands of Megadrives, Snes', PSones, PS2's, Gamecubes and Xbox's were sold in this country, not to mention the thousands more games sold for each console too.
    These all had to go somewhere and, as enthusiastic a buch as we are, they are not in our possession, which means that, tragically, the bulk of them were thrown out in attic clearences and the such like.
    I would venture that the greatest concentration of video game material in the country is in our landfills.
    That said I wouldn't recommend running out with a shovel just yet!

But it is depressing when you are looking for retro games here in Ireland and they are in such short supply.

What a pity then that we can't do a street by street sweep of each city in the country, forcing people, at gunpoint if required, to open their attics, sheds and spare rooms to us so we can see if they have any precious things hidden away beneath a stack of Womens Weeklys or leaning against a box of videocassettes.

Or is that a tad, fascist?

Well, if you're not in, prepare to assume the position, face down on the street and hand over the keys to your house!

MWA HA HA HA HA!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,265 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Fun Palace along Bray seafront had a skip outside about a year ago. I saw some box shaped objects sticking out. Raced over hoping they were the arcade machines that they cleared out a few years ago. But it was just one arm bandits/slots. :(

Was going to take one for the craic but decided against in the end. Probably should have. There was a guy standing beside the skip with a big hammer. I would imagine they went smashy smashy very soon after.

Advertisement