Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterproofing Realtree Clothing

Options
  • 13-08-2009 10:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,352 ✭✭✭

I've a 'Deerhunter' realtree heavy shooting jacket & trousers. They are breathable & waterproof. The outer layer is (realtree) is a type of cloth and inside is the waterproof / breathable material. There is a washing label on the inside but it's faded & unreadable.

Just wondering has anybody washed shooting clothing such as this?

1. Did it lose it waterproof properties?

2. Do you use a non-biological powder?

3. Is it a cold wash only?

4. Has anybody tried those additives you add to the wash to waterproof...do they work?

Any tips or ideas welcome!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

jr ,dont use any thing other than tec wash then rinse in tec proof .most if not all out door stores will sell it .

the deer tex will brake down with use ,also dont force dry or wash in to hot a water any thing 30 c is bad.

bushwear sell the stuff is your not near a shop

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭seoirse1980

I normally use soap flakes on a cool wash for my waterproof gear never detergent. Rinse twice to ensure residue is completly gone. Big box for about 2 euro. I've found I can get a few washes before it looses reproofing. Then when water falls on the fabric and doesn't bead on contact and roll off I know it's time to reproof. I use the tec spray or the wash. sometimes if you have a multi layer waterproof with a wicking layer (layer that draws moisture away from body) the wash in stuff can stop this layer from proforming at it's best. Ye can get it in outdoor adventure store on liffey st or great outdoors off grafton st. Just so ye know some of the reproofers need to be heated after application for them to work at their best. Some ye can use an iron on low heat or put in a hot press or on a rad.

Seoirse

Advertisement