Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Holiday in New Zealand

Options
  • 13-08-2009 10:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭

Hoping to go for a 3 week break to New Zealand in February next year.

What would you recommend to see and do? Is 3 weeks enough time to do both islands?

Weather should be ok. I have done Jan\Feb in Oz and that was hot so New Zealand should be similar but not as warm. I think

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

what are your interests? what is it you actually want to do in nz? wweather should be good alright, and i havent seen much of the country yet (only been here two years >_>) but there's a few different spots to do things like skydiving and bungee jumping. you're obviously not gonna see any ski or snow fields, but i'd say definitely try out some surf lessons, no need for a wetsuit at that time of year, check out the glaciers (fox or franz joseph), do the guided tours on them, check out things like the quad biking on the west coast (south island) and the different towns, like hokitika with their greenstone nad paua crafting.

pretty good museum in christchurch, though ive not been to any others so can't compare it, and a decent nightlife, really active punk scene here which im enjoying. check out queenstown, but check out how much of queenstown's activities you can do elsewehre, as it is quite notoriously expensive there. most of the scenery to the best of my knowledge, tends to be on the south island, so if that's what you're into, cool, im not really sure about up north, or even down in dunedin and invercargil, but hope something i said there will be of help.

there's some other threads around if you do a search, might need to 'show threads since beginning', but there's more info around the forum for sure.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭Sidney77

youd probably do auckland in 2 or 3 days, rotorua and taupo are nice, good few things to do in wellington esp if you are a lord of the rings fan, havent been south yet but am hoping to soon, queenstown wanaka i hear is beautiful.

its prob enough time but might be a squeeze

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Delorian

I'll list some things quickly as I could spend an eternity on this. I'm here 3 1/2 months after travelling here for 2 1/2 weeks in Feb, had to come back and try and see what I missed. Ok...

What I've done:
    • Tongariro Crossing - most amazing day of my life, but I like that kind of thing. 8 hour hike like walking on the moon. It's Mount Doom for heaven's sake! The 4 day hike is often rated in the top 3 hikes in the world. The 1 day is often rated in the top 10 1 day hikes
    • Franz Joseph or Fox Glacier - one or the other down the west coast of the south island
    • Abel Tasman - I did half day hike, half day kayak. Could have done a lot more.
    • Roturua - Maori culture. Also comparible to Queenstown with lots of skydiving, zorbing, etc.
    • Te Papa, Wellington - think it's meant to be one of the best museums in the world for interactivity and moderness. I liked it
    • Train journeys - I did the TransAlpine. It's a little bit samey for a long time but the climax if you go into Christchurch is amazing, breath-taking. I would imagine going the other way gets the best out of the way first. I really want to drive it at the end of winter. The one from Auckland to Wellington is rated as one of the best in the world
    • You'd be unlikely to get tickets but the rugby Seven's is the best party I've ever gone to and it's on in Wellington in Feb
    • Visit me in Wellington - I'm really cool and I'd show you a good time.

Also, yet to see (my spelling might be off here, I'm in a hurry!):
    • Kaikura - whales and dolphins and stuff
    • Queenstown - crazy young ppl doing extreme stuff to their bodies
    • Wanake - small version of Queenstown
    • Milfourd Sound - stunning, apparently. Try and give yourself time for the 4 day hike. It's meant to be kick ass
    • Doubtful Sound - less well known than Milfourd but it's meant to be different, great and amazing in the rain, which is lucky since I think it rains about 80% of the time there
    • Mount Egmont & Taranaki - cool volcano to climb
    • Bay of Islands - stunning, your usual gorgeous sun place I reckon
    • Bay of Plenty - same
    • Stewart Island - meant to be really nice but awkward to get to

If you need more specifics, let me know. However Wikitravel as previously mentioned is the best thing ever. Don't bother with a Lonely Planet, I hate those things. Might be worth getting a tramping or hiking (NZ's 100 best or something like that) and, if you're into it, a LOTR guide.

I have friends that are coming in Feb so I'll be doing them a real good guide. If I think of it, I'll PM you and mail it on. Oh, one last thing I'll say, be prepared to not want to leave. I know lots of ppl that have stayed. However, I have met a few annoying Paddies who are like, it's boring here, I don't like hiking, I'm going back to Sydney to my Irish boyfriend and drink in the Irish bar, with the Irish staff and the Irish music. Such crap.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Back from a weekend in Lake Tekapo and Mount Cook Village. Just go, you wont be disappointed.

To be honest I am struggling to name a country with better jaw dropping natural beauty than NZ, in my mind the most stunning place in the world and soooo much to do!

Why cant we get paid to travel!:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,940 ✭✭✭pclancy

Weather can be a lot colder then Oz but yeah if you come during or at the end of summer it should be fine. As above its a fantstic country, i've been here a year and a half and once my 3 year permit is up will apply for perm residancy. The quality of life and scenery make it unbeatable. Moneys crap to use abroad but who cares, I can see the pacific from my bedroom and get to enjoy nature and the gorgeous scenery for free.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭spectre

Lake Taupo is home to the most amazing natural thermal baths. They lie next to a beautiful gentle-flowing river, so when you get overheated, you just paddle a few metres to cool down. Bliss - not to be missed.

If I'm not mistaken, this natural wonder wasn't even in the guide book when I was there three years ago. Great thing is, it's public ground so no one with their hand out looking for admission fees.

Also did the following which were amazing:

Franz Josef Glacier hike.
    Tongariro Crossing
    Zorbing in Roturua (the best reason to go to this vile smelling town)
    Cruise in Milford Sound

The Whale watching tour in Kaikoura is not even close to being worth the money. I think it's about 100 dollars. Don't expect the whales to be jumping over the boat Free Willy style - All you see is the tail. Very anti-climactic

Advertisement