Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Repeating and College fees

Options
  • 13-08-2009 11:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭

If students go to college this year, does that mean I wont have to pay fees? (Ill be repeating :( )
    When the hell are they implementing these fees for college?

Any info. I forgot all about them.

Thanks for any useful info.
    People tryin to be funny GTFO

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Swizz wrote: »
    If students go to college this year, does that mean I wont have to pay fees? (Ill be repeating :( )
    When the hell are they implementing these fees for college?

Any info. I forgot all about them.

Thanks for any useful info.
    People tryin to be funny GTFO

I think those who start this year will have a better chance to get away without getting hit with fees, or at least we'll get one free year. Next year? I doubt it tbh.

Nothing concrete has been said AFAIR.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

I think people are safe enough for this year.

Doesn't necessarily mean that those who start this year will get away with it next year though. O'Keeffe's basic message during the summer has been "you have been warned!"

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭stesh

Doesn't necessarily mean that those who start this year will get away with it next year though. O'Keeffe's basic message during the summer has been "you have been warned!"

What 'basic message'? Batt has been deathly silent all year about fees. I wrote him a letter about a week ago about it. Still no reply!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Swizz

Fair play to ya. Im gonna poo in a box and send it to him if Im hit with the fees.

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭leesmom

did he not say on the news that they were making the decision by september 15th? thats what i took from what he said

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭sock puppet

stesh wrote: »
    What 'basic message'? Batt has been deathly silent all year about fees. I wrote him a letter about a week ago about it. Still no reply!

IIRC he said that no one currently in college will have to pay fees but that those entering this year may be hit with them for 2010-11 onwards

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭Fairdues

Anything that can be charged for in the future will be charged for - from parking spaces to college fees.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭Fairdues

It's very hard on families whose children are close to college age now yet their parents had been under the inpression for several years that this was not something that needed to be budgeted for.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭sock puppet

Fairdues wrote: »
    It's very hard on families whose children are close to college age now yet their parents had been under the inpression for several years that this was not something that needed to be budgeted for.

It is. That's why the government pretty much has to introduce a loans system with it to avoid a huge backlash from parents. It'd be a PR disaster otherwise. Fees will probably end up costing the government for the first few years until we all graduate.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

I just realised this post related to repeating the leaving cert, rather than repeating the first year in college. Appologies and I hope this info may be helpful to someone.

You will have to pay tuition fees if you are repeating college for all the modules / subjects you are repeating.

Total fees to repeat all the modules/ subjects could be of the order of 3K and you won;t get a grant. You will also have to pay the registration fees 1.5K

If you take on a course in a different area, say you done engineering you could take on a business course, without fees, and I think you should get a grant.

It would be worth going to your college and asking them what the options are. Even if you have not applied to the CAO, you could probably get a vacant places course.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

I know it hasn't started yet, but please don't turn this thread into another fees debate. Any posts off the topic will be edited/deleted and people prevented from posting in the thread.

IIRC he said that no one currently in college will have to pay fees but that those entering this year may be hit with them for 2010-11 onwards

Where's the informative website? Where are the leaflets with the breakdown of the new fees system? Where are the student loan rates? All he's done is vaguely implied that we may be hit hard financially over the next while. I'm not advocating nor opposing fees here; that's going off-topic. I'm simply saying that nobody really knows what's going on, and Batt O'Keeffe is well aware of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭FIFA2004

Hi, does anyone know what the story would be regarding fee's if i change course and do first year again. Just finished 1st year and considering changing depending on the CAO offers. I know ill have to pay for the first year of a new course, but will i get away if fee's are re-introduced because i was a student last year

Any info would be appreciated, thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

stesh wrote: »
    I understand what you're saying i.e. that there is no official decision, just a "list of options for consideration by cabinet".

However, he has said or implied several times that students who are entering college this year are likely to be affected by whatever decision is made, and should be aware of this.

Fair play for writing to him. However, maybe I'm a cynic, but I predict that it will take some time to receive a reply, and that even then it is likely to be along the lines of "I am directed to acknowledge receipt of your letter of the ____. No final decision on this matter has as yet been reached. I will write to you again when ... blah blah blah."

I understand what you're saying i.e. that there is no official decision, just a "list of options for consideration by cabinet".

However, he has said or implied several times that students who are entering college this year are likely to be affected by whatever decision is made, and should be aware of this.

Fair play for writing to him. However, maybe I'm a cynic, but I predict that it will take some time to receive a reply, and that even then it is likely to be along the lines of "I am directed to acknowledge receipt of your letter of the ____. No final decision on this matter has as yet been reached. I will write to you again when ... blah blah blah."

I'm fully aware that he has 'said or implied' that fees may be back. But that's just not good enough. We and our parents are the ones who will be affected, and his 'communication' boils down to nothing more than scare tactics. It is entirely unacceptable that he simply 'implies' that free fees are ending. We need answers, and we need them right now.

P.S. I certainly don't expect a response any time soon!

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭cul-2008

Am I the only one to think that the idea of O' Keeffe warning us is laughable? Your dead right about his 'basic message', but surely the man can do better than issue a mammy-like warning!

As Batt said himself, when we as students start 3rd level education, we sign a contract for our 4 years, agreeing that we will willfully accept 3/4 years of education paid for by the state.

However, how can you put forward a contract to someone agreeing that "we might put a 3/4 year degree on the table, which we might pay for you, so you may be able to get a 3rd level qualifaction, but we've nothing solid to go on yet, so we'll play it by year". Now any sane person won't sign that, but what choice have we got?

I know, take the year off and draw the dole... :rolleyes:

That man needs to cop himself on.

It looks like those of us starting this year will have to play a waiting game, the type of which you will only play in this lovely country of ours. :mad:

Advertisement