Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brisbane. Any good?

Options
  • 13-08-2009 11:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭

Well, I'm off in 4 weeks. Usual thing. My girlfriend's been over there for two months and has settled down in Brisbane to look for a job. So any opinions on the city? Is it safer than Dublin? Easier to get around? Any recommended areas to live (in rented accommodation I mean, not hostels)? Is Melbourne any better? Not going to Sydney.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭DamoDLK

Hi there confab. I was in Brisbane for only a week there in June. I didn't really like it that much, dont get me wrong its not without its charm! - but rather i think its a bit clannish or somthing?! cant quite figure it out - One main street, where most things seem to go on.

I'm in Melbourne and friggin love it. probably the best thing to do (if possible) go to brisbane with the missus, then go to Melbourne also, see what ye reckon and make your mind up!
    best of luck!
    Damo

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

ah Brisneyland aint that bad, there are advantages over Melbourne, mainly the weather, well mostly the weather, as for the clannish comment, it is the gateway to the deepnorth ;(, its more spread out into suburbs and the like, very 'parochial' feel about the place.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Confab wrote: »
    Well, I'm off in 4 weeks. Usual thing. My girlfriend's been over there for two months and has settled down in Brisbane to look for a job. So any opinions on the city? Is it safer than Dublin? Easier to get around? Any recommended areas to live (in rented accommodation I mean, not hostels)? Is Melbourne any better? Not going to Sydney.

:D Me too Confab i will be off to brisbane in 4 weeks as well, looking forward to it. Maybe we are on the same flight:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 197 ✭✭vixenbees

Brisbane is class!! The valley is where all the nightlife is. Since its smaller, its easier to poke out the cool bars and cafes. I found the people great craic too. Met more aussies here than I did in Sydney!

vixenbees wrote: »
    Brisbane is class!! The valley is where all the nightlife is. Since its smaller, its easier to poke out the cool bars and cafes. I found the people great craic too. Met more aussies here than I did in Sydney!

Any good pubs you can recomend? Id prefer to go to non Irish pubs and meet the locals:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭unreggd

How long yes stayin in Briz for? I'll be there on the 24th of Sept, woop

Seems to be loads to do

Check out Wikitravel

• Closed Accounts Posts: 197 ✭✭vixenbees

Any good pubs you can recomend? Id prefer to go to non Irish pubs and meet the locals:)

I can't specifically remember the names cos it was 2007 :( All I know is in the valley theres a pedestrianised area with a few shops and bars..good for strollin around during the day, good for pub crawlin at night! Its small so you'll def see it when you get there. You get the vibe off places literally as you walk past. 1 night all my mates wanted to go to a dance night but I heard franz ferdinand coming from a bar on that street so hot footed it to indie night and it was full of locals! Theres a good live music scene too so pickup a copy of the local equivalent of "whatz on" and it'll list whats on where, its not specifically for backpackers!you'd find them on the window sill in cafes with the flyers.

Hopefully the other guys on here who are livin there now can give you a few names anyway.

Confab wrote: »

Well O.P you were been a ass to me in one of my after hours threads so i wont give you any more advice and by the way your GF after 2 months has more than likely got some hot aussie bloke.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

I'm in Brisbane at the minute. Been here for about 2 months but heading back to Perth next week coz me and my girlfriend aren't havin much luck with work. I like Brisbane but prefer Perth. The valley is good for the night life. RG's, Mustangs and the elephant and wheelbarrow are good pubs. The Normanby is very good for a Sunday session. There's a few good Irish pubs like Irish Murphy's too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 579 ✭✭✭cupthehand

vixenbees wrote: »
    Brisbane is class!! met more aussies here than I did in Sydney!

Sometimes that is not always a good thing believe me!!! :D Bogans!!!!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement